A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Everything else

D2 - Everything else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 16th January 2021, 05:24 PM

Finally cleaned...

This one is not quite so clean inside as the AQH was. Fewer miles, probably more short journeys.

The heads are clean enough though.

Flipped it over to get the sump off, which also got cleaned. It takes ages to get all the old sealant off.

Going back together tomorrow
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	182.jpg
Views:	534
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	25182   Click image for larger version

Name:	183.jpg
Views:	535
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	25183   Click image for larger version

Name:	184.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	25184   Click image for larger version

Name:	185.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	25185  
Old 16th January 2021, 06:07 PM

I always look forward to the weekends for another episode of WITW
Everything you've said seems to support the idea that these cars need frequent driving in a "spirited fashion" and for long distances. This lockdown this year is just really bad for them. Any period sat idle seems to cause F125 issues and a general clogging up of arteries
Old 16th January 2021, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
I always look forward to the weekends for another episode of WITW
Everything you've said seems to support the idea that these cars need frequent driving in a "spirited fashion" and for long distances. This lockdown this year is just really bad for them. Any period sat idle seems to cause F125 issues and a general clogging up of arteries
I think "spirited" is more important than "long distances" - mine's been on very few long drives (i.e. more than 20-30 miles) over the last five years, and my engine seems to be very clean

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 16th January 2021, 08:37 PM

Just love this and love these threads

I work a lot on my D2 and A2, but lets say to a "Low to Medium level" so these are fascinating to me.

Also some of the photos are really useful so I can get an idea of where something is or how it all connects up as I tackle something on my own car.
2002 Audi D2 2.8 A8 QS - Audi Silver
--
Old 17th January 2021, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin View Post
I think "spirited" is more important than "long distances" - mine's been on very few long drives (i.e. more than 20-30 miles) over the last five years, and my engine seems to be very clean
I think that I've probably driven it further than you over the last five years!
(And done better mpg!)

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 17th January 2021, 08:05 PM

Decided the sump is too scruffy to put back on, so this is getting blasted and repainted tomorrow.

Alloy oil cooler pipe. This one had already had a replacement plastic pipe fitted, but since I took it apart to check it got the upgrade anyway.

Oil cooler back on. I've discovered it is much easier to attach the cooler block with the water pipe already in it than to do them separately. Obviously thats only with it out of the car.

Locked the cams in preparation for doing the chain tensioners. I forget - have I done a detailed write-up of how to do this job? I'm sure I have, but if not I'll make a separate thread if anyone cares to know the details - I took loads of pictures.

Right hand side first

Mark the chain according to the notches in the cams and the arrows on the caps

Good tramlines in this one

A close escape! The gauze is intact but coming detached, and would soon have gone in to the tensioner and ruined it.

Peeling apart

This is the passenger side - the gauze has already gone, but on the passenger side it will be sitting in the bottom of the tensioner and not causing any damage, unlike on the driver's side where it gets stuck in the start pin.

Tensioners are still good This is the driver's side which is firmly locked in place on the start pin. The bottom foot doesn't move at all, the top one moves on it's spring

Warm up the new tensioner pads in a cup of hot water

New pads fitted to the tensioner

Victor Reinz cam cover gasket. If you look around these can be had for ~£20 a side - less than half the OE version (£46 each).

Cam cover cleaned up and the new gasket fitted

Assembly lube on everything (including under the cam caps I removed) as this engine has been sat for a long time and is very dry inside. This should help reduce wear when it turns over again, and will just dissolve in the oil when it starts. I'm using this instead of oil as it is very sticky so will stay put until I need it, whereas oil would just drip away.

On to the crank front oil seal. This is a pain to fit as it is very narrow in a pretty tight space, and it sits over a bushing rather than the crank itself.

This is the bushing, which is clamped to the oil pump gear by the crank sprocket. Normally I put the seal in first, then push the bushing in but it is very difficult indeed to get the bushing in to the seal without folding over the outer lip.

So a custom tool is in order The alloy piece on the left sits over the bushing which has the oil seal fitted to it off the engine. The tool then allows both the bushing and the seal to be pressed in to the front cover in one go, thus ensuring no damage to the seal

It fits together like this - tool on the bottom, bushing sitting in it, and the seal around the bushing

Fitting it to the engine. There is a precise relationship between the bushing and the seal. The tool is machined to just the right depth so that when the bushing bottoms out on the crank, the seal is pushed in to the correct depth.

Done. Very pleased with how this worked You can see how tight the outer lip is on the bushing.

A new bolt is needed for the crank sprocket. This has been already been tightened to 200Nm with the torque wrench. Now it needs another 180°

Luckily I have eaten a lot of cake over lockdown It was bending both the breaker bar and the engine stand, but I managed it.

Timing gear back on, but the new belt isn't here yet so it'll stay like this for a few days.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	186.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	25192   Click image for larger version

Name:	187.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	25193   Click image for larger version

Name:	188.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	25194   Click image for larger version

Name:	189.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	25195   Click image for larger version

Name:	190.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	25196   Click image for larger version

Name:	191.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	25197   Click image for larger version

Name:	192.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	25198   Click image for larger version

Name:	193.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	25199   Click image for larger version

Name:	194.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	25200   Click image for larger version

Name:	194a.jpg
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	25201  

Name:	195.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	25202   Click image for larger version

Name:	196.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	25203   Click image for larger version

Name:	197.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	25204   Click image for larger version

Name:	198.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	25205   Click image for larger version

Name:	199.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	25206   Click image for larger version

Name:	200.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	25207   Click image for larger version

Name:	201.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	25208   Click image for larger version

Name:	202.jpg
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	25209   Click image for larger version

Name:	203.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	25210   Click image for larger version

Name:	204.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	25211  

Name:	205.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	25212   Click image for larger version

Name:	206.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	25213   Click image for larger version

Name:	207.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	25214   Click image for larger version

Name:	208.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	25215   Click image for larger version

Name:	209.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	25216  
Old 17th January 2021, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey View Post
I think that I've probably driven it further than you over the last five years!
(And done better mpg!)
To be clear Neil, for anyone else reading this, you're talking about my S8, not yours

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 17th January 2021, 09:27 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

I just love the workshop posts! Who needs soaps?
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 17th January 2021, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Laird View Post
Certainly not me. This is a far better watch.....and there’s always a good ending

1988 E30 Coupe - Royalblau Metallic

2003 S4 Avant - Light Silver Mettalic

2016 S5 Coupe Black Edition - Ibis White

Old 18th January 2021, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Laird View Post
Or Antiques Roadshow on Sunday evening when we have this antiques roadshow to look forward to every Sunday night.... the cars being the antiques, not you MJ - or the owners
I'll get my coat.......