A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 12th September 2017, 01:30 PM

The only time I've had super-light steering (not on an Audi) the rack had failed. I think an internal seal or valve had gone and it was finger-light at all speeds having lost the road feedback, making it very weird to drive (unless you've driven old American cruisers).

Company car so it just got fixed. But by the time it went in there was no feedback whatsoever. You could sit parked (engine running) and turn the wheel briskly and watching it go all the way to the limit and "bounce" back to the other limit. Two or three oscillations before it slowed to a stop!
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 12th September 2017, 01:36 PM

Great work MJ
Glad you are restoring such a lovely car back to good health.
Old 12th September 2017, 02:16 PM

Urgh it had better not be the rack. I might try and solve the steering *before* I pull the engine...
Old 12th September 2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
What I find with D2s is that before we enthusiasts get hold of them they've mostly been maintained to 'make it pass an MoT' standard by ordinary garages and anything non-essential has been overlooked. Then, when the essential stuff gets too expensive, they get sold. When we get hold of them the maintenance standard goes up to 'I adore this car and want it to be as good as it can be' and so there are quite a few jobs to get to that level. The reason I work exclusively on D2s is because the owners' love for the car fits well with my 'as the factory made it or better' work ethic
This thread is awesome.
Dean is really lucky to have you work on his car.

Johannes
_________
Audi S8 -99, Pearlescent, Alcantara/silk napa leather, Burr walnut insert, Alcantara roof lining upper pack
A8 32V engine
-----
Jeep Grand Cherokee -98
Old 12th September 2017, 03:42 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-M3 View Post
WOW
Shame you are too far from me our my car would be with you!
My thoughts exactly!

Great work MJ! What's your vehicle collection fee from north Manchester area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Here's a vid of the engine pull from August's S8 btw. 3 hours compressed in to 3 minutes

https://www.facebook.com/mikkijayne/...3289043752997/
But how long to put it back?

I think it'd probably take me at least 3 weeks to remove it, not counting numerous hours searching online for the necessary tools.
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 12th September 2017, 04:54 PM

I had my car with Audi two times for repairs. At no point did they give me a clear understanding of why they failed to repair a couple of things. So I ended up aborting the last job early on.

Now if I had photos to look at, or even a detailed explanation.
1 - new remote keys failed to program (keys lost coding)
2 - oil sump damaged (top or bottom?)

The first time, I had them check the cam belt. And told me it looked ok. But then the guy at the desk told me that didn't matter if the water pump etc. hadn't been replaced as well. How should I know??? I had asked them to check if I had to get it done, or if it was ok.

So yeah! I would love to have MJ repair my car as well

Johannes
_________
Audi S8 -99, Pearlescent, Alcantara/silk napa leather, Burr walnut insert, Alcantara roof lining upper pack
A8 32V engine
-----
Jeep Grand Cherokee -98

Last edited by Regulus; 12th September 2017 at 04:59 PM.
Old 12th September 2017, 06:17 PM

Wel done MJ.
Thanks for letting us see how you work.
Absolutely wonderful to know that we have someone that really cares for our loves.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 12th September 2017, 06:32 PM

I'm astounded at the workload... on a 2.8 as well, most would vault at the idea if it's not an S8 so kudos all round.

Gonna be interesting to follow this
Old 13th September 2017, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanker View Post
Wow! That jobs list.
And something tells me that the spare space on the whiteboard won't be white for that long

Big t5 (Tony - previous owner who only had the car 5 minutes before I badgered him to sell it to me) and I had no idea that so much work would be needed to bring her back to a GOOD road worthy standard.
Apart from a noisy exhaust, an obvious oil leak and a fluttering engine at lowish revs, she seemed to drive well and behaved herself.
Just shows how much we know compared to an expert

Right... Where are those lottery tickets?
and a big hand to you Dean for facing up to the issues and going for it properly. Have you tried crowd-sourcing?
Old 13th September 2017, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
and a big hand to you Dean for facing up to the issues and going for it properly. Have you tried crowd-sourcing?
Crowd sourcing? I didn't think of that.
I was just going to have an old-fashioned whip-round

Future work on "Red Dwarf": Fridge, solar sunroof, radio-controlled clock, interior and exterior dimming mirrors, Alcantara headlining/pillars/rear shelf, rear US outer lights, passenger memory seat, rear electric (lumbar and headrest) heated seats, Servotronic.
2002 A8 D2 S8 FE - "Red Dwarf" - Misano Red - Platinum/Silver Interior, PDC, Sat Nav Plus with BOSE and hidden Dension Bluetooth, Multi-changer, Heated Front Seats, Bi-Xenons, FE Wheels, Phone Prep with Nokia 6210, Detachable Towbar, Rear Blinds, S8 plate but no other optional extras
1st Place Winner - A8Parts Annual UK Meet 2018
1st Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2018
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2019
2002 A8L D2 with a factory fitted S8 engine and drivetrain - "Evergreen" - Irish Green Pearl (TBC) - magnolia leather seats with magnolia door cards/door trims, magnolia leather head-lining, extended leather pack 3 (dark green leather dash, upper door cards, steering wheel, lower dash, centre tunnel and rear parcel shelf), factory black external trim (in lieu of chrome), self-levelling suspension, Servotronic, Brembo brakes, "gullideckel" / "man-hole cover" / "pie-plate" 8Jx18 polished 10-hole design wheels typically seen on the W12, Park Distance Control, heated windscreen, multifunction steering wheel, Vavona burl (burr-walnut) wood inserts with cream/magnolia door switch trims, phone preparation to the front with Nokia 6091 phone, phone preparation to the rear with Nokia 6091 phone on the central rear console, third phone preparation in the rear centre console, rear blinds, rear headrest release feature, rear electric heated seats with lumbar and recline function (the rear passenger seat has the facility to move the front passenger seat forward), BOSE audio, Rear Screen Entertainment (RSE) with dual factory fitted Alpine screens, integrated DVD player (under the centre of the rear bench with 4 DVD storage slots) and two remote controls (the controls and inputs for the RSE are in the rear centre console and the screens can operate independently of each other,) factory supplied leather headrest covers to hide the rear screens, rear vanity mirrors (standard A8L), dark green rear wedge footrests with cream piping, front passenger memory seat, dark green floor carpeting and mats – piped in cream, rear slumber pillows for the headrests, integrated fridge with integrated tumblers inside the rear centre headrest bar compartment, solar roof, auto-dimming interior and exterior mirrors, factory driver’s seat fire extinguisher, tire pressure monitoring system, first aid kit, 12 V socket in the boot, TRACKER, derestricted – top speed is 155mph plus
2007 A6 Allroad C6 3.0TDI Quattro - Highland Green (Audi Exclusive Colour) - Cream leather interior with Wood, Advanced MMI, Keyless, Bose, Advanced PDC, Sunroof, Heated Memory Seats, Adaptive Xenons, Adaptive Air Suspension, Servotronic

Previous (went to good homes):
2002 A8 D2 2.8 Quattro Sport - "Big Red" - Tornado Red (Special Order) - Twist Interior, PDC, Passenger Memory Seats, Symphony II with BOSE, Heated Front Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto-dimming Mirrors, 20" FE Wheels, Servotronic Steering
2002 A8 D2 2.8 Quattro Sport - Aqua Blue Pearl - Twist Interior, PDC, Sat Nav Plus with BOSE, Multi-changer, Heated Front Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto-dimming Mirrors, Avus Wheels