A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 8th June 2017, 12:56 PM

Default New A7 loan car thoughts

Got this A7 from Audi until next week while my car is in.

Not a bad spec on this one. Nice wheels, ambient lighting, heated wheel and head-up display which I would now probably look for if buying one of these. It displays speed, cruise control info, navigation arrows and instructions etc. seemingly on the road about 2 metres in front, the height/brightness can be adjusted but the system isn't distracting at all. The Matrix LED auto high beam cutoff at night works quite well too (standard on the A7 now I think?). You can leave high beam on all the time and the car will use the GPS to know what road you are on as well as cameras to track other vehicles and mask the LEDs within milliseconds so as not to dazzle them while still illuminating the rest of the road but when you come into a 30mph residential zone it deactivates. No rear view camera though, on a £55,000 car, that's a £810 option!

The boot is huge, I leaned right in and still couldn't touch the rear seats. The sound system is crap as well no matter what settings you change but that's probably because I've been spoiled with Bose and B&O in the past. Oh, and I don't like the pop up rear spoiler where you can see all arms and hinges for it. Would rather a subtle lip instead.

I think this is one down from the top 313PS version but it can really shift when you boot it and I don't think I could want for much more power from the 3.0-litre TDI to be honest although it's not exciting. It is a capable car but I don't think I could ever imagine myself itching to jump in and drive the A7 as I sometimes do my S8. The Drive Select controls in the MMI for the steering don't really change much through comfort > auto > dynamic, it just feels tight and twitchy in all the modes and I think a chubby flat-bottomed steering wheel would lend itself very nicely to this setup but the engine/gearbox settings make noticeable differences. It's much more fun to play with the additional settings in an RS6/RS7. Exhaust, suspension damping, drivetrain etc.

RS7 is the one you want though, obviously
- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8
Old 8th June 2017, 04:54 PM

It's a decent loaner but for me the A7 Interior is just so much like an A6 inside, they really could have made more an effort to disguise its roots.
A5's suffer the same internal issues which is a shame considering the premium you pay over an A4.
Old 8th June 2017, 07:53 PM

Thanks for sharing your observations. I have always been keen to know what the rear head room is like in the A7, is it restricted by the 'fastback' roof line?
I once suffered a long journey in the rear of a BMW X6, never again!

'09 D3 S8 - Most of the bells and whistles (B&O, Audi Exclusive brown interior and exterior paint, soft close, ACC etc) de-flapped manifold!
Old 8th June 2017, 08:55 PM

There you go Ollie, they delivered on their promise. Have fun, you lucky blighter
Old 8th June 2017, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audidothat View Post
I have always been keen to know what the rear head room is like in the A7, is it restricted by the 'fastback' roof line?
Rear headroom doesn't seem too bad, it certainly isn't cramped in the back for legroom or height (I'm 5ft10)

I really do love that fastback shape (that's as far as the rear windows go down)
- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8

Last edited by Conquistador; 15th November 2017 at 08:41 AM.
Old 9th June 2017, 01:23 PM

The rear headroom is compromised a little. I'm 6'2 and it's a bit tight, though usually I'm in the front

I know.. I know..

Old 11th June 2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conquistador View Post
Rear headroom doesn't seem too bad, it certainly isn't cramped in the back for legroom or height (I'm 5ft10)

I really do love that fastback shape (surprisingly that's as far as the rear windows go down!)
Thanks. The last photo of the 7 in profile really shows the roofline dropping down and the window line coming up to meet it, there is obviously going to have to be a compromise somewhere I suppose. At least with the windows only closing halfway it might reduce the wind buffeting I experience with the S8!!!

I really like the fastback, I like the uniqueness against the standard saloon shape.

I saw a S7 the other day, first one I've ever seen, as it would appear the full fat RS7 is more popular judging by the streets of LDN anyway!

'09 D3 S8 - Most of the bells and whistles (B&O, Audi Exclusive brown interior and exterior paint, soft close, ACC etc) de-flapped manifold!