A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 4th June 2017, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe2.0E View Post
July is not too far away, letters from Audi could soon be in the post for a lot of us users of Satans fuel. To my knowledge a lot of 2.0 tdi owners have refused the recall work, most are concerned that their cars will be down on power and have poorer mpg after the work is carried. Not sure if it's an urban myth but I won't be jumping the queue to get the recall done until I can establish what affect the recall will have on the 3.0TDI.
Like you read my mind Joe^.

My sister had a letter from Audi re:her A6, and booked in for a service and the 'remedial works'. Can't say I'd be doing either of those.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 4th June 2017, 11:08 PM

Most people probably wouldn't notice the difference anyway but I won't be too concerned about getting it done if Im on the list particularly if it is just a software update.
If the work involved hardware such as injectors, turbo or similar, it would be more attractive as you benefit from 2 years warranty on the parts fitted. Injectors etc. aint cheap for modern TDI's.
Old 5th June 2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
The latest analyses of A7 and A8 automobiles of model years 2010 through 2013 with V6 and V8 engines certified according to the EU5 emission standard
Is this the first time the V8 has been mentioned?
Old 5th June 2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
If anyone was in ever in doubt about diesel particulate and NOx emissions from diesels they should have been in the annual meet convoy behind, ahem, some of the diesel cars ...... sorry Ray and others
Why do you think I was at the front of the convoy David?

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 22nd June 2017, 09:04 PM

Don't whatever you do, let your car go for recall.
Old 22nd June 2017, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A8 Doc View Post
Why not mate? (I wouldn't be inclined to myself)

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

Old 23rd June 2017, 04:16 PM

Mine's a late 2009 4.2 TDI DPF V8 TDI and according to the VAG checker it is NOT affected...
Old 23rd June 2017, 07:34 PM

I'm pretty sure the curreng VAG checker that you tried is only configured for EA189 engines which are only built up to 2.0 TDI. It won't flag anything for V6 or V8 models until they launch an official recall to include them.
Old 8th July 2017, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A8 Doc View Post
Plenty of horror stories out there about running issues after the official "remap". Down on power, flat spots, nasty noises, increased mpg - and minimal inclination from dealers / VAG to sort them out...... or charging to replace parts which were working fine beforehand.

This HJ thread is just one of many https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/vo...emissions-fix/

Friend of a friend is about to start litigation against his dealer after they installed the "fix" on his Passat as part of an annual service, even though he'd expressly instructed then not to, in writing. Not sure whether he's actually having running problems as a result or what they are.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The NOx emissions are probably lower than the equivalent Renault/Nissan/Volvo even without the fix! If dealers are randomly doing it anyway, it's another good reason to use an independent!

Happily my 21 year old "clockwork" diesel soldiers on happily, free of any of this nonsense.

Nick

Last edited by Nick Jones; 8th July 2017 at 07:14 PM. Reason: added link
Old 8th July 2017, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Jones View Post
Plenty of horror stories out there about running issues after the official "remap". Down on power, flat spots, nasty noises, increased mpg - and minimal inclination from dealers / VAG to sort them out...... or charging to replace parts which were working fine beforehand.

This HJ thread is just one of many https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/vo...emissions-fix/

Friend of a friend is about to start litigation against his dealer after they installed the "fix" on his Passat as part of an annual service, even though he'd expressly instructed then not to, in writing. Not sure whether he's actually having running problems as a result or what they are.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The NOx emissions are probably lower than the equivalent Renault/Nissan/Volvo even without the fix! If dealers are randomly doing it anyway, it's another good reason to use an independent!

Happily my 21 year old "clockwork" diesel soldiers on happily, free of any of this nonsense.

Nick
Thanks for that. I'll definitely bear that in mind if/when.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56