A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Wheels and Tyres

D3 - Wheels and Tyres Refurbing, center caps, tyre brands, tyrefitters - discuss it here

Old 10th March 2016, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattylondon View Post
So do the sensor and aerial only work in close proximity? Then what about the spare as it's between two aerials? Time to dig out my Bosch Automotive Electrics and Electronics, I need answers.
You are not the only one here Matt gasping for answers
Thank you for your involvement anyway, much appreciated

So far, with my little technical knowledge, I can only think about two scenarios:
- A6 will notify you about the loss of pressure but won't tell you which will it is
- A8 aerials are much weaker than A6, but knowing what I know so far they are probably same aerials, therefore the question is if its possible for ECU to lower the range of each aerial to close proximity as soon ECU detects that 4 not 1 aerials are wired in OR if you install A8 D3 specific ECU then it's already programmed to have 4 sensors (well 5) and to have the range/power of the aerials lowered ??????

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 10th March 2016, 11:23 AM

Don't most people that have TPMS actually disable it because it's a PITA and the sensors cost a lot??
Old 10th March 2016, 11:27 AM

Lee, They are expensive but that's something we are trying to work out.
A cheaper, more cost effective alternative.
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 10th March 2016, 11:32 AM

Guys, I've just read that 4F0 sensors were SUPERSEDED by 7PP ones, which means that what I was telling myself earlier on in my head is actually true and that is:

7PP is exactly same sensor, just a newer versions of the ones fitted on A8s and A6s. As the technology moved on they became cheaper, 10 years later down the line, and Audi, as they do, they will still charge A8 owners premium money for the same sensors they sell to A4 owners (new A4 models) for much less money because a lot of guys will go to Audi and they won't buy any other part than what ETKA says which starts with 4E0
4E0 = lets charge moooooore because we are greedy
Which is very true because S8 fog lights are 100 each and they are A6 fog lights but 4E0 fog lights costs £100 where 4F0 only £50 !!! Same light !!!

Am I talking s**t here or this is exactly what this is??? And 7PP sensor will work exactly as the A8 ones fitted 10 years ago as it also is 433MHz and also its still a bloody pressure sensor and ECU and aerials do the rest of the work by ECU lowering the strength of the aerials hence A8 has reading for each wheel???

Any one seen TPMS on MMI screen on the A6, is it divided into 4 readings (4 wheels) or there is even no graphics just a warning on the dash when pressure on one or more wheels drops ???

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
Old 10th March 2016, 11:40 AM

I wonder if the spare wheel sensor is detected through the rear seat bulkhead by the control module, since that lives under the back seat?

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 10th March 2016, 12:03 PM

I guess it does.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sm_tpms.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	12667  
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 10th March 2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
I wonder if the spare wheel sensor is detected through the rear seat bulkhead by the control module, since that lives under the back seat?
I read yesterday that one of rear aerial reads both the RL wheel and spare. Can't for the life of me find where I read that to quote the source.

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,
Old 10th March 2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattylondon View Post
I read yesterday that one of rear aerial reads both the RL wheel and spare. Can't for the life of me find where I read that to quote the source.
Could that explain that A8 specific ECU vs A6 ECU would increase the range of the aerial for RL wheel aerial to pick up spare if all wired correctly ??

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Old 11th March 2016, 04:32 PM

I need to do this, not retro fit though, just replace the wheel sensors.
5 genuine audi units from poland new for about £130 plus p+p on evil bay. cant work out why we are so much more expensive here in the uk for a consumable part!! anyone made solar/rechargable/battery replacable units yet?
Old 16th March 2016, 04:28 PM

Interesting topic and thread, particularly about the way AUDI screw their customers for more expensive cars, though to be fair they are by no means the first!

However after having them on my old S8 i ditched them as each tyre was replaced as they were a bit of a PITA particularly when wanting to top a tyre up at gas stations as half the time the pumps wouldn't fit. I'm curently contemplating coding one/all of them out on my dads Bentley GT as it throws up random warnings very loudly and scares people!