A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Engine Bay

D3 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 12th April 2016, 08:02 PM

My experience with Milton Keynes TPS is that they will happily sell to general public but at retail price or with very little discount, it always worked out cheaper for me to go to Audi Northampton and ask them for discount and many times they offer discount straight away even without asking. And it's closer as well so after couple of tries and fails I don't even check the price with TPS any more.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 12th April 2016, 08:10 PM

Thanks for the tip, I'll add Northampton to tomorrow's call list!

2008 Audi S8
Old 14th April 2016, 06:27 PM

Default Mobil 1 vs the rest ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Tony View Post
As above really, what engine oil would you guys recommend for use in an S8?

I've always used Mobil 1 previously. Is that suitable for my new car, or is there something better?

I know the oil filler cap says Castrol is recommended, but does that mean that's just the company that paid Audi the most?
Audi supposedly 'developed' Longlife oil with Castrol but it's not about the viscosity, it's about the specification.

Audi [and all VAG group cars] quote the VAG specification. Confusingly, this has changed over the years but 'sort of' boils down to diesel/petrol engine oil specs.

I think I'm right in saying that 504.00 and 507.00 are the specs. these days which replace all previous versions.

Mobil 1 is a brand - you'd still need the get the 'right' Mobil 1 for the S8.

I'm using Mannol 7715 OEM which is a German brand that is 504.00 and 507.00 'compliant' on the label, is 'Long Life' and is also appropriate replacement for 502.00, 505.00, 505.01, 503.00, 503.01, 506.00, & 506.01. [My A8 is supposed to use 506.01 for Longlife in my 3.0 diesel according to my 2004 owner's manual].

In my mind, if the oil meets the spec., there's no 'better' brands, only more expensive ones

Julian
Old 14th April 2016, 10:59 PM

Wow... That's so alien to me. My previous cars have always run so differently depending on which oil I chose!

Thanks for the information.

2008 Audi S8
Old 16th April 2016, 06:12 PM

Had mine done today and used Quantum Longlife 3 5W-30 Fully Syn. Undertray was a bit sweaty with oil for some reason so will remove it again in 500 miles and see what's new.

The car took exactly 10 litres of oil though which resulted in it being the perfect level on the dipstick. £44 for the recommended oil from here:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1820521105...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8

Last edited by Conquistador; 16th April 2016 at 06:14 PM.
Old 16th April 2016, 07:10 PM

[quote=Conquistador;110462]Had mine done today and used Quantum Longlife 3 5W-30 Fully Syn. Undertray was a bit sweaty with oil for some reason so will remove it again in 500 miles and see what's new.

The car took exactly 10 litres of oil though which resulted in it being the perfect level on the dipstick. £44 for the recommended oil from here:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1820521105...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

could have saved four quid, that's about 8 miles worth of fuel

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=11431

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 17th April 2016, 11:01 AM

Good deal at opie oils for 8l of mobil1 0w/40:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Engine...QAAMXQeW5Ta7aI
Old 23rd October 2016, 11:18 AM

OK, so I stopped into Vagtech in Milton Keynes over the weekend. It's likely they will be doing my carbon clean and they really seem to know their stuff.

I was talking to Sam, the tuning manager, about routine maintenance and he said they give owners the choice of two engine oils - either the standard 5w30 Quantum or the Castrol Edge 10w60.

I balked when he mentioned 10w60 and immediately said that it was too thick for my car. He reasoned that it's the recommended oil the R8 V10 and works better in high temperature environments.

I went into research mode and have been studying specs and recommendations most of yesterday. I learned that the stated viscosity isn't always the actual viscosity and it's possible to have an oil that has higher xW-yy numbers that is actually thinner than another. Another tidbit was that the 10w60 oil is indeed recommended in R8s newer than (2010?). I assumed there was a change in the engine this model year, but there wasn't, which implies that Audi simply found the thicker oil worked better. A very, very knowledgeable guy on another forum also cautioned against Audi's 'x-w30' recommendation, arguing that the design of the BSM V10 engine is well covered for cold starts and the real risk lies at high temperatures. I'm paraphrasing horribly, but the gist of what he was saying was definitely to look for a thicker oil than recommended.

Sam at Vagtech told me he runs the 10w60 in his RS6 and it works really well. I'm considering it, especially during the summer months. I'd like to do two oil changes a year - one before summer and one before winter, so I'd be quite happy to use the thicker oil in summer and the thinner one in winter. Would help balance the cost too!

Anyone else use 10w60 oil?

2008 Audi S8
Old 23rd October 2016, 12:30 PM

Like you say, the specification numbers sort of overrule oil viscosity ratings. Nowadays, it's important to understand how the lubricating properties are affected by temperature, age, pressure, and various other factors. The V10 S8 was something like 502.00, but the oil specification 504.00 superceeds that. Providing the oil meets the specs, there's no reason to say the oil couldn't be 0w20 or 15w50, just as long as it met specification.

A good example is Fiat. The 1.4multiair used in the 500x takes 5w40, but the 1.4multiair used in the Abarth 595 uses 10w50. Same engine, different use and different specs.

The Castrol Edge 10w60 is branded a racing oil, but conforms to 505.01 and 505.00.

I'd use this oil at your own risk, since most S8's aren't driven at the peak end of their performance, and perhaps if the vehicle isn't under this sort of load, the oil pressure or temperature may not be sufficient to protect the engine properly?

A8/S8 - A gap to fill.

Multi-Franchise Main Dealer during the day, Amateur vehicle enthusiast by night.
Old 23rd October 2016, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Tony View Post
OK, so I stopped into Vagtech in Milton Keynes over the weekend. It's likely they will be doing my carbon clean and they really seem to know their stuff.
Whereabouts are you based? Im in Northampton, and VRS will be doing my carbon clean as well as inlet flaps delete and remap after - they dyno it before and after to see the difference.

What were you quoted from Vagtech?