A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 8th December 2016, 07:01 PM

But a Lambo generally doesn't have to do half the work your S8 does. It gets taken out, taken for a spin, maybe valet parked at a posh restaurant and then garaged again before the fortnightly wash.

Your S8 has to lug people, things, do the daily commute, the weekly shop etc etc.

Lee, I know first hand the stresses of owning these cars. Mine has treated me as badly as anyone's on here. I can't think of anything else at that kind of money I'd rather drive though.

2008 Audi S8
Old 20th December 2016, 10:40 PM

had the RS6 out the other day and looks like there were at least another two like minded "I dont want my doors dinged" Audi drivers in the Asda car park at the same time

apologies for the appalling quality phone pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15592340_10209312867873272_5650756_n.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	15301  

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 3rd January 2017, 08:57 PM

Car now for sale

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthrea...202#post122202
Old 5th January 2017, 07:08 PM

Default Let the Market decide...

Hi Mate,

Commiserations about the situation: I 100% wouldn't keep summat that I was worried about. I couldn't help but spoil every trip with fretting, wish I wasn't that way but with a motor like yours I would be even worse!

Idea. Print a letter and push it through the letterboxes of neighbours around you. I know you said you had only a couple of immediate neighbours but maybe others a couple of streets away would LOVE to have a car on their drive for a few quid a month! (Not the S8 but what about your track car??).

When we moved into our house near Barnsley FC's ground (Oakwell) there were very few parking issues on the drop curb in front of my long-ish drive.

Until Tuesday 11th of March 2014 when Leicester brought a million fans who found they couldn't park! A quick thinking German Car Owner (sorry, BMW) drove past, saw us coming home and gave me £20 to park on my drive!

To that guy seeing his team and looking after his car was worth £20. That is clear thinking. Money is there to buy you what you want; that is what he wanted.

I sold 'cos I wanted £20 more than the ability to move out of my drive with a car for 3 hours. Oh, and I was running an ancient Rover 620 at the time so wanted to show off to my neighbours! (Being Barnsley they weren't fooled...).

So. How much is having more room to park your car worth? Apologies if you've thought of this or tried already but so many of us won't ASK and then PAY for what we want...

Robert
Old 5th January 2017, 11:00 PM

Wifey was laughing at me the other day as we drove into morrisons car park ,
" now , where's all the nice audits parked " I said as a ( semi) joke , " there's 3 over there " she said , pointing , perfect q7 , s5 , and an a4 , all black , and taking up 5 spaces , I stuck the 8 next to them , " I can just about see the store from here " was her only comment

Mike
Old 6th January 2017, 01:56 PM

Car is a tool that does a certain job. Any tool being used will get marks and wear. The car can also be artwork. It does not work well if you want it to be both so you need to decide if you want it to do the job or if you want to keep it in glass cabinet.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 7th January 2017, 09:21 PM

I can totally see where this could matter to some car owners. Especially with cars like ours, they are top of the range so that puts them sorta in the "prestige" bracket and thats what they are to us, our babies lol. I personally dont have a problem with parking mine in car parks etc, I do like to take care of my cars, mechanically and asthetically and have been lucky (up until recently...) with having no damage been done to my cars by others.

Recently though, lol, my A8 was parked outside my house and some nugget in a van ran into the back of it, damaging quite badly the O/s rear corner (lights, wing, bootlid, bumper etc) Contacted the police, waste of time, werent even interested as I didnt get a registration of the other vehicle as it had done a runner! I found the culprit myself the next day with a bit of snooping about and it turns out I knew the driver (have known him for a long time) Anyway, he did the decent thing and repaired the car to a very high standard and without dealing with insurance, result!

So, onto parking bays lol. I drive artics for a living so, if I cant park a car the size of our A8s, I'm in the wrong job lol! Whenever I go into any parking bay, my car is always perfectly placed within that parking space. If some nugget cant park their car in a space properly and then cant get in their car once I've parked, then thats their problem and usually I look for that type of nugget to park beside lol!Now I know I'm tempting fate by doing so, so I usually take a picture of the other car before I walk away and check my car on return as I'm usually never parked there for more than half an hour. I've come back to my car at times to find the other driver waiting to get back in their car and take great delight in the ensuing conversation lol!

Different story with my bike though, it is never left where I cant see it and I'm usually no more than spitting distance away from it as that is my true pride and joy and would hate for anything to happen to it because of some nugget!
Old 8th January 2017, 01:43 PM

See attached
Lexus and Merc driver took parking to another level. I was waiting for the Merc driver to tell him what I think about pr1cks like him but got feed up in the end, shame.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7661.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	715.4 KB
ID:	15374   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7684.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	464.3 KB
ID:	15375  

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 8th January 2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am a daisy View Post
I can totally see where this could matter to some car owners. Especially with cars like ours, they are top of the range so that puts them sorta in the "prestige" bracket and thats what they are to us, our babies lol. I personally dont have a problem with parking mine in car parks etc, I do like to take care of my cars, mechanically and asthetically and have been lucky (up until recently...) with having no damage been done to my cars by others.

Recently though, lol, my A8 was parked outside my house and some nugget in a van ran into the back of it, damaging quite badly the O/s rear corner (lights, wing, bootlid, bumper etc) Contacted the police, waste of time, werent even interested as I didnt get a registration of the other vehicle as it had done a runner! I found the culprit myself the next day with a bit of snooping about and it turns out I knew the driver (have known him for a long time) Anyway, he did the decent thing and repaired the car to a very high standard and without dealing with insurance, result!
I would have reported the prick for doing that, he clearly had no respect for you or your property to bugger off and leave it.

Old 8th January 2017, 03:19 PM

I did report it to the police at first but they were not interested as they had no registration to go on. It only took me four hours to find out who it was, something the police could have done themselves with the same information I got. Once I found out who it was, I gave him the choice to sort it or replace it as he did not want the police involved, I knew if it went through police/insurance, then the car would get written off and I'd be back looking for another car. He came good and sorted it out and the police lost out on getting another statistic to massage their figures. I was very disappointed in the whole attitude of the police and their lack of response and I got my car sorted without having to deal with police or insurance and got my baby back sorted to a very high standard, so I'm happy with the outcome