A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Engine Bay

D3 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 18th February 2017, 07:50 PM

Default Air scoops

In BMW naturally aspirated V10 M5 & M6 world there is often debate on whether to add air scoops behind the front grill, to catch/force more air into the airbox.

Without going into the MASSES of detailed threads about their effectiveness or not, I have noted that there is simply nil suggestion of any such similar mod on the Audi NA V10, to squeeze any possible extra BHP out of this wonderful engine.

Any comments? Reading the intake manifold spacers thread prompted me to post this thread.

Just to qualify, I do have some bright red scoops fitted to my M6! At very high speeds I 'may' have noticed a difference but actually only fitted them because I think they look amazing! LOL

'09 D3 S8 - Most of the bells and whistles (B&O, Audi Exclusive brown interior and exterior paint, soft close, ACC etc) de-flapped manifold!
Old 19th February 2017, 11:00 AM

We already have actuated flaps that open at high airflow requirements. They do however suck in engine bay air but at the regular speeds you need that flow, there is plenty of airstream to keep that cool
Old 19th February 2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daandaman View Post
We already have actuated flaps that open at high airflow requirements. They do however suck in engine bay air but at the regular speeds you need that flow, there is plenty of airstream to keep that cool
Thanks for the info! Are they the two round flaps in the air box itself?

'09 D3 S8 - Most of the bells and whistles (B&O, Audi Exclusive brown interior and exterior paint, soft close, ACC etc) de-flapped manifold!
Old 19th February 2017, 01:58 PM

Well, I went with a different option.
Instead of repairing last, closer to the front, inlet flap, I have decided not to repair it and stripped them all - also because of the wear on the rivet points which you can check and probably have seen already in this thread.
http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=12128

Then decoke is done, compression test very good, new oem coil packs and best spark plugs know to me at least, filters of course, gearbox serviced and other bits.

Funny enough, after completing last known to me air leaks on the throttle bodies->T piece I was thinking last night before the sleep that now is about to time to do the first remap and dyno runs before and after with no flaps at all, just all the air in at all times
JFA Automotive Director and always guy with a laptop tuning cars because he loves it, done few of custom maps to same engines but on lambos, but also he will be able to compensate the slight loss on lower revs because of the amount of air coming in, but on the other hand at high revs there will be more to gain in hence the dyno runs before and after to see how car is behaving to prove it first.

...but is there a way to test injectors without taking them out to give at least some indication ???
This is one thing I haven't tested properly.

One problem about the spacers which I hear about, is lack of concrete evidence, simple evidence of proven gain, not theory - is that correct??
S8 specif evidence for each mod they do, is that available to see ?? (dyno graphs)

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 19th February 2017, 03:52 PM

A dyno bound car will have nothing but 'air suck'. Whereas a moving car will gain 'air compression' with speed. I therefore can't see how the dyno can give useful data for what you are doing
Old 19th February 2017, 05:45 PM

Because I'm pretty sure he has a big diameter stainless steel ducts with flaps and big fan in front of the dyno synced with the dyno so the faster the car goes the more flap is open and faster the fan is spinning.
This does simulates the real life conditions to some point as the air is pump under speed into front grill depending on the speed of the car.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten