A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 15th June 2017, 07:54 AM

Following this thread with interest as I will need new tyres all round myself soon.

I have Pirelli P-Zeros on at the moment and they are pretty ****e to be fair, front left has had a casing error since new, pirelli didn't want to replace it, I have to rebalance the tyre every 3 months or so... not impressed.

The car came with Yokos on and I really didn't like those.

I am thinking of going down the route I did on both my S4s and that is Vredesdein Ultrac Sessantas - which will now be Vorti's as they don't do Sessantas any more. They are asymmetric and were probably the best tyre for me based on performance and cost, even if they feel a little slide for the first 500 miles while the silica covering wears off and the tyres scrub in.

I've been looking a lot at how I drive as well, and I am not that aggressive with the car, its a straight-line speed kind of car for me - I have a dedicated track car for real driving - so have even considered all season tyres for the S8 - again Vredesdens - to save on buying a winter set of wheels.

Its all about balance IMO
Old 15th June 2017, 09:02 AM

I've considered Vreds in the past too, but always end up put off by reports of tread separation as they age (as in the tread area starts to break away around the circumference of the tyre on one side) and the fact they major more on the perceived appearance of the tread pattern and its designer, rather than its ability to shift water quickly and efficiently. That and they don't work out significantly cheaper.

I have no personal experience of them, and as with everything online it's a lot easier to find negative comments than positives!

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 15th June 2017, 09:26 AM

Same here, I did consider Vortis couple of days ago, but I found lots of bad reviews and some ''experts'' commenting on really outdated design.

Still no decision after another on many nights of sleeping.

So far Goodyear leads the way, but I did think last night of possibly going back to Michelin or P Zero

I hate being me and online reviews as well.
I know mytyres allows you to search reviews based on the make and model of the car, but this section is a bit outdated.
Why each website won't include such a simple function where reviewer puts his make and model of the car so later we can all sort the reviews by make and model ???? It's not difficult is it ?!?!? Especially that power, size and weight of the car matters a lot, at least when reviewing same tyre on Ford Ka and S8.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 15th June 2017, 10:19 AM

I know the Sessantas were amazing, but they were superseded, I went through 3 sets in two cars over 4+ years - loved em, haven't tried the Vorti's though.

I've been considering the Quatrac 5's for all year round usage. I ran Quatrac 4s on my cabriolet when I had it and went 2 years with minimal wear, really hot summer driving in Monaco made them squeal a little on hard cornering but in winter they were sublime dispersing water super quickly and even when we went over a mountain pass in switzerland (on our way down to Menaggio) we went through about 3" of snow and had no issues, they seem a good balance for year round usage.

If I was blasting the S8 heavily around bends and B roads I would want more grip but to me, its not that kind of car at what? 2 tonnes?

If you are a spirited driver 99% of the time I can see why ultimate grip rubber would be the way forward.

Like I said, I am watching this with interest and will be good to see which way people go and what their thoughts are.

Looking at winter though - who runs winters and what ones? or summer all year round?
Old 15th June 2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1781cc View Post
I know the Sessantas were amazing, but they were superseded, I went through 3 sets in two cars over 4+ years - loved em, haven't tried the Vorti's though.

I've been considering the Quatrac 5's for all year round usage. I ran Quatrac 4s on my cabriolet when I had it and went 2 years with minimal wear, really hot summer driving in Monaco made them squeal a little on hard cornering but in winter they were sublime dispersing water super quickly and even when we went over a mountain pass in switzerland (on our way down to Menaggio) we went through about 3" of snow and had no issues, they seem a good balance for year round usage.

If I was blasting the S8 heavily around bends and B roads I would want more grip but to me, its not that kind of car at what? 2 tonnes?

If you are a spirited driver 99% of the time I can see why ultimate grip rubber would be the way forward.

Like I said, I am watching this with interest and will be good to see which way people go and what their thoughts are.

Looking at winter though - who runs winters and what ones? or summer all year round?
I run winter tyres but typically there has been no challenging conditions as of yet. although they do say summers start performing less well below 7 degrees so there is argument for running them.

I have these on at the mo https://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-gb/...ero3#/overview

Old 15th June 2017, 10:33 AM

Similar, I use Sottozero Serie II for autumn/winter (on 18's) and well into spring.
They only came off quite recently, just before the forum meet in fact, so I'm now on 20's with MPS4S's.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 15th June 2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
The ton of sand in your rear bumper didn't help much either.
Proof lol >>

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	13445507_1147775568601289_8533764738790722832_n.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	16323  

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 15th June 2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-A8 View Post
Tony, I think you have just made this decision for me
When you say pushed, do you mean like proper pushed that its almost scary and adrenaline is flowing like a fuel under high pressure ??

I hate this bit on M25 and I don't understand how this section hasn't been resurfaced yet.

Thank you Tony

By the way, dual compound ain't that great, at least wasnt for me. As far as I am aware, Toyo Proxes T1 Sport which I bought brand new had soft compound on the inside of the tyre a hard compound on the outside. When I removed them there was absolutely nothing left on the inside but 5mm left on the outside in less than a year.
Thanks for the warning about the dual compound, definitely something to bear in mind.

I've been feeling out the grip levels on the car, so I've not pushed quite as far as the limit of grip, but certainly enough to be scary. I took a few work colleagues out for a spin and there's a long, sweeping corner just outside our building. I took it at a speed at which the car felt planted and controlled. My passengers, however, were screaming like banshees! They are all guys too, with a passing interest in cars (not petrolheads).

Immediately after the corner, there is a roundabout, so I ahd some heavy braking to do. Again, the car just didn't fuss, even fully loaded with passengers. Traction was there all the time, although I did get a burst of adrenaline when I saw just how quickly the roundabout was approaching.

When we got back, the conversation turned to driving and the common tenet was that a driver had to be accustomed to driving that quickly before taking that corner like that. I let them catch their breaths before I told them that was the first time I'd ever pushed in that corner... they were a little perturbed at that.

The point is, that even having very little previous experience, the tyres just gave me the confidence to do what I wanted and barely squeaked. They approached losing traction on the transition between cornering and braking but were always predictable. If I don't love the Michelins for whatever reason, I'd switch back to Eagle F1s in a heartbeat.

From memory, I think I was running 34 PSI front and 36 PSI rear. It's been so long since they needed topping up, I can't remember. I got the pressure from a recommendation on here and it was the factory spec for the older cars, which used the 275 size tyre.

2008 Audi S8
Old 15th June 2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-A8 View Post

Still no decision after another on many nights of sleeping.

I hate being me and online reviews as well.

I would hate to be you too Marcin! your OCD will shorten your lifespan if you are not careful

Just try this: When faced with another decision just say "whatever" or "its all the same to me" in a totally disinterested way. I bet you cant!
Old 15th June 2017, 02:36 PM

I had the Goodyears on the first D4 and wasn't a big fan due to the noise they created on certain surfaces, although they lasted fairly well and I stuck with them when I needed a new set.
The V8 D had Pirelli's which were Ok and I was up to around 16K on them when I traded her in so they lasted fairly well but again had a harmonic noise on many road surfaces mostly A /B roads around the speed limit officer

The S8 was fitted with F1's and so far they have proven to be a match for the car and it's performance so no brown pant moments

Can't say too much for wear as I haven't done 4K yet but they look fine and the harmonics are sufferable. Even my wife's A3 ragtop gets the same humming harmonics on the same surfaces with 18" wheels fitted so I guess it's something I will have to put up with. I have found setting the exhaust up for full noise creation and sticking it in sport regularly makes me forget about tyre noise all together. I am just glad they are there doing their thing really as that's all that's between me and the hedge most days
A8 3 litre sport till 2016
Short walk on the MB dark side
A8 3 litre sport from 2010 to 2012