A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > Driving bliss

Driving bliss Best roads? Best music? Whatever makes your 8 the best place to be, share it with us

Old 29th October 2014, 10:02 AM

You can walk if the ranges aren't operating, but it's a long way!
Sandwood Bay is reasonably accessible on foot, and well worth the walk, but after that it's really rough! http://capewrathtrailguide.org/route...ay-cape-wrath/
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 29th October 2014 at 10:05 AM.
Old 29th October 2014, 10:21 AM

It was Sandwood bay area that I was looking at, aparently one could drive there in the past but its not allowed anymore, and not a drive for an Audi either.

The walk does look good though, not sure I would enjoy the walk on form there though.

Old 29th October 2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
.... The section of the A9 up past Brora was fantastic in the S8 where I had clearish roads that have steep ascents and descents with switchbacks, car in tip mode and the V10 howling, grin factor 10.

I spent the last few weeks working up in Invergordon and stayed in Brora for a week with the family. The best part of the day was leaving Invergordon (not the prettiest place) and driving in a "spirited" fashion back up to Brora. The A9there is free of Salmond's contribution to "road safety" (the average speed cams) and is a delight on a fine evening. But you are right to keep off the A9 up to inverness - its hell - no-one will overtake anything as its either too dangerous or they are afraid the speed cameras (only activated yesterday, by the way) will get them so everyone goes at the speed of the slowest vehicle in loooong convoys. and they get VERY pi$$ed of if you do overtake and try to slot in (they drive too close ).
Old 29th October 2014, 07:18 PM

Did you go as far as Berriedale?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2qQmuV9b-o

Old 29th October 2014, 07:23 PM

Been up to Thurso/Scrabster a couple of times as a friend of mine lives there - and taken the ferry from Gills Bay to St Margarets Hope. Great area in the right weather!
Old 29th October 2014, 08:06 PM

Funny enough I'm planning a trip to Scotland for when I get back home. Hoping to do Liverpool to Creiff in a day, then take a few days stopping at various places on the way to John O'Groates. Same plan for the return. Going in the S8, and really looking forward to it!
Old 29th October 2014, 08:42 PM

Well, if you take advice to stay off the A9 for as long as possible I recommend tracking back from Crieff by Loch Earn across to Killin, go along Loch Tay, turn up through Fortingall (famous old yew tree/great hotel) head north to Loch Tummel passing Schiehellion on the way and then take the single track road north to Trinafour before passing over another single track road to join the A9 around Loch Errochty. Fabulous drive in any season. You'll never regret it. Unless you hit a deer (I just missed a herd crossing the road in the dark the other night.)
Old 29th October 2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
stay off the A9 for as long as possible
I have loathed the A9 with a vengeance ever since my first experience of it over 40 years ago.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 29th October 2014, 09:08 PM

Some good advice there, thanks. Have only just begun to plan it, so many different places to see!
Old 29th October 2014, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey-S View Post
Hoping to do Liverpool to Creiff in a day
Liverpool to Crieff is a doddle, should be 4-5 hours normally, and can't imagine it taking a full day, even at "A9 average speeds", unless you're planning on lots of stops on the way, or taking a particularly scenic route: the "straight road" up the M6/74/M9 etc is pleasant enough, but not thrilling...