A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Lights

D3 - Lights Headlights, xenons, foglights. Everything outside the car that glows

Old 12th February 2014, 01:08 PM

Default Insects inside headlights

Folks I have 3 dead daddy long legs within the headlight unit on my 08 Sport.

Does anyone know if the units are completely sealed, or if there is any access for me to hoover them out?
Old 12th February 2014, 01:50 PM

The very fact that they are in there in the forst place tells me there must be a substantial gap for them to get in, hoovering them back out again may not be so easy.

Can you not get the bulb holder out and get to them that way

Old 12th February 2014, 04:42 PM

I haven't had a chance to check yet, I was just curious as to whether hoovering them out would be possible or if they would be there for good.

I was hoping someone may know that if removing a bulb would give access to inside the light. I wasnt sure if it would have been sealed and the bulb situated in the projector lens just.
Old 12th February 2014, 04:48 PM

Mmmm see what you mean, I haven't been into mine yet so couldn't say I'm sure others have been though and will advise shortly

Old 12th February 2014, 05:28 PM

The bulbs are changeable, so you should be able to get something in there.. They're fiddly as hell to get out though.

I know.. I know..

Old 12th February 2014, 07:11 PM

But are the bulbs not just housed within the projector lens?
Old 12th February 2014, 11:28 PM

Can you post a picture??
I've had halogen and cornering bixenons out and played with them for a week so there are options.
Yes, bulbs are housed by projector lens.
In my opinion (but again, need to see the picture as it depends where the bugs are) you won't be able to hoover them out, but we still dont know how big the bugs are.
Ideally you would want to hoover them via hole after taking halogen DRL bulbs if you have them!?!?

What headlights have you got exactly, because if you have factory LED DRLs then main beam is your only way.
But, there are gaps everywhere so the loss of suction can be quiet big which may do nothing.

Unscrewing lens isnt difficult (4x hex screws) but headlight needs to come out, so the bumper.

I'm afraid if a hoover wont do the job headlight will have to come off, then you wont have any problems with getting them out. It may require a bit of play but you will have at least 2-3 options.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 13th February 2014, 08:08 AM

I've the adaptive xenons with LED DRL's.

So you think there are holes in to the inside?

I hate the thought of having to take the bumper off! I removed it from my TT and it was just a hassle. I expect the A8 would be worse with headlight washers and parking sensors too.

I'll try and get a photo this evening.
Old 13th February 2014, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-A8 View Post
Unscrewing lens isnt difficult (4x hex screws) but headlight needs to come out, so the bumper.
Just noticed this. So the actual lens does come off? I thought it would have been glued and sealed tight?
Old 13th February 2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyons View Post
I've the adaptive xenons with LED DRL's.

So you think there are holes in to the inside?

I hate the thought of having to take the bumper off! I removed it from my TT and it was just a hassle. I expect the A8 would be worse with headlight washers and parking sensors too.

I'll try and get a photo this evening.
By gaps I mean plenty of gaps inside the unit, around the chrome bits, lens etc.
Unit is sealed, but to get the hoover in you need to gain the access to the headlight from the back, so no matter how you going to do it you losing suction as you will have to pass the back of the unit which seals it.
There is no gaps around the headlight unit but in one of the corner in each headlight there is a little drain off (I assume) hole on the bottom with detachable rubber 'pipe' with a 90degree bend.

Headlight washers and sensors are no biggie as they all stay on the bumper, just need to disconnect two connectors on the bottom of the bumper as soon you lift it off the car a little to gain access.

To take the bumper of both wheel arches off, unscrew the bottom engine cover (3 screws near the front of the car which, cover is attached to the bottom of the bumper which drops).
Then just below the indicators from inside the arches there are 3 nuts on each side, akward but with long enough extension piece of cake, then 5-7 screws from the top (above the grill under the bonnet) and you laughing.
Comes off very easy.
Then 4 bolts per headlight and you've got in your hands.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten