A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Lights

D3 - Lights Headlights, xenons, foglights. Everything outside the car that glows

Old 27th June 2014, 06:37 AM
Banned

Default Auto dipping rear lights

Ok so after playing in vag com for ages and various other things my rear lights now do the following strange activities

When my dipped beam is on and I press the brakes my brake lights come on as expected ..how ever if im braking and indicating it dips the brake lights on the indicating side untill indication has stopped and then with foot still depressed on the brakes the brake light with resume its ooriginal brightness ...now I have no idea if this is a setting error ..or wiring problem or what ... I know a D4 will wink the front DRL to see indication more clearly but as far as im aware this is not the case on a D3 ? ....

Ps this is on the LWB 4.2

The W12 dose not do this at all

Any ideas ?
Old 27th June 2014, 07:28 AM

Are they LED's or incandescent bulbs. Something similar often happens with many cars if twin tail/brake light bulb is forced in the other way round.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 27th June 2014, 08:26 AM

Is the indicator at the proper brightness? If not, then indicative of a bad earth.

I know.. I know..

Old 27th June 2014, 09:46 AM

Do the dimmed brake lights go dim..bright...dim...bright in sympathy with the indicator (but in opposite phase) or do they dim until the indicator is cancelled as per front DRLs close to indicators have to 'wink' to avoid masking the indicator?

If in sympathy, I would say an electrical problem in the cluster or connection, if it stays dim, maybe SAE rear light coding? I have seen that but never tried it. Does it ring a bell? It does sound like an American thing and don't they have red indicators at the back or is that just old cars?

Do you have any old saved VCDS logs?

I recently found one from 3 years ago and pasted all the controllers and codes in a list and pasted current codings in too (a simple 3 column list).
That way I always have a document to refer back to if I make a mistake.

Last edited by snapdragon; 27th June 2014 at 09:49 AM.
Old 28th June 2014, 09:07 AM
Banned

As per snap dragons post ..

No flicker ect its as if its perfectly doing something it should be ....quite strange maybe il film it to show you

They simply shut off the brake light on the indicating side and keeps the side light on then when indicating stops it goes back to full brightness
Old 28th June 2014, 09:08 AM
Banned

PS .. yes they are fully LED on the D3 barr the reverse bulbs ..
Old 28th June 2014, 10:27 AM

Have you been messing around with the coding as it sounds like you may have coded the lights for an american market or something like that?

Old 30th June 2014, 06:47 AM

Agree with Delboy.
Sounds like something that the Americans do.

Check the coding but it don't sound like a bad thing to me.
Not sure if the brake lights over power the indicators or not though.
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 4th July 2014, 06:44 AM
Banned

Hmmm ok il check the coding I guess its under lights in vag com somewhere ... most strange il try to video it first
Old 8th July 2014, 07:15 AM

Did you get a chance for video it?

I tried to see what mine does but the brake lights go out by the time I run round the back of my car to see.
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.