A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 17th April 2014, 01:11 PM

Default What's In Your AV's?

I'm about to order some AV input cables off ebay and currently deciding what to put in them.

In my A4 I had a AV Media box plugged next to the Tuner, extended the IR receiver and LED to the front of the car with a power switch.

Before that I had a Raspberry Pi which was very good but a bit much for watching films or TV when I'm waiting for the Mrs to come out of work.

I'm not keen on going that far again with the 8 and currently looking for ideas and other ways of doing.

What have you guys got and can you control it from the front of the car easy enough enough?
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 17th April 2014, 01:51 PM

I have A2DP Bluetooth receiver (£7 off eBay) so that I can stream music from my phone. "Poor man's AMI"
Old 17th April 2014, 07:31 PM

Blackberry bluetooth gateway in one to get internet radio from iPhone and a RasberryPi, but the Pi's not useful as I have found it very fragile and buggy. Will get one of those cheap SD card/USB video players later.

Last edited by snapdragon; 17th April 2014 at 09:01 PM.
Old 19th April 2014, 09:17 PM

I had that orignally in the 4 and moved to the SD/USB players but the downside with them is that you have to move the IR receiver to the front of the car or have it in a position that you can point the remove at it.

I want to do away with that really.

The wireless mouse/keyboard for the Pi worked really well.
I wonder if I can get one them for the SD/USB player.
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 20th April 2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottB5 View Post
I had that orignally in the 4 and moved to the SD/USB players but the downside with them is that you have to move the IR receiver to the front of the car or have it in a position that you can point the remove at it.

I want to do away with that really.

The wireless mouse/keyboard for the Pi worked really well.
I wonder if I can get one them for the SD/USB player.
I have Android media player / TV box which supports wireless mouse. It has SD-card slot and USB-port. They are like £50 new.
Old 20th April 2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottB5 View Post
.... but the downside with them is that you have to move the IR receiver to the front of the car or have it in a position that you can point the remove at it.
Hmm. I had a DVD player in my Passat that also had USB and SD slots.
I extended the IR 'eye' to hang out the lower corner of the glovebox (as that was where DVD player was). That would be more difficult on the A8.

The Raspberry Pi would be good, but frequently gets corrupted and OpenELEC and RaspBMC have awkward interfaces. I couldn't get the iOS remote app to work at all over WIFI, it just hung. So at the moment I have nothing. Maybe I will get one of these...
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/high-...980133704.html
when they're back in stock. Annoyed as it was £37 a couple of weeks ago.
Old 22nd April 2014, 07:37 AM

Raspberry Pi is a no go I think and thing that requires IR is also a no go, unless you want to run IR cables over your A8.

Audifin, I might look into that Android box. That seems like a better option.
Old 24th April 2014, 11:41 AM

I have a dvd player with usb and sd cards in the boot, ir cable runs simply inbetween the rear headrests barely noticable, just have to fire the remote over my shoulder. also had to wire in a power switch to make sure it didnt run the battery down when not in use which comes out below the rear armrest, it is meant to go inside the rear ashtray so no visible wiring just havent got round to it yet

i did have a little reverse camera sited in the same place (between the headrests, pointing to one side slightly) for when the baby was born and facing rearwards so we could see her on av2 when required but have since removed it, now they are facing forward.
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom
Old 7th August 2014, 09:28 AM

Finally got round to getting my AV cable.
Still cant decide what I want to put on it.
Old 7th August 2014, 01:06 PM

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251430570676
Popped one of these in in the end.
Needs a round 5v supply -so got a big (old fashioned as it's easier to disassemble) cigar lighter charger and split it open and replaced the cable with the one off the mains charger that comes with this.
Very please with it. I leave it on 24/7 and the battery is always 100% even after r a few days. I would unplug it if on holiday.
I just need to find thin three strand wire to extend the IR diode for the remote onto the parcel shelf.

I can put PVR mp4s from our TV on it but TBH, video in the car is rather overrated and the novelty soon wears off and the analogue audio is a bit ordinary sounding.