A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 17th April 2017, 03:18 PM

Default Bodil Hands Free (Anyone got a spare screw?)

I treated my Old Lady (the 8 not SWMBO) to a hands free holder by Bodil a few weeks back.
Being old, nesh and fragile I waited and waited for some warm weather without the incessant rain. Today it actually stopped persisting down and up came the incentive to do something.

1. Emptied the glove box into about fourteen Asda bags. Well maybe two but with SWMBO and three grandkids there were a lot of sweetie wrappers, broken headphones and badly stained sun shades.
  2. Took out the AMI.
  3. Took out the CD player.
  4. Removed the nearside end fuse box cover.
  5. Removed eight, yes eight, screws, dropped the glove box.
  6. Disconnected the plug and removed the glove box.
  7. Replaced the snapped spigot on the glove box lid damper with a nut and bolt. Been wanting to do that for over a year. The glove box light should start working now.
  8. Removed the credit card front piece.
  9. Removed the long narrow trim.
  10. Had a cuppa. (This was the first important and neccasary action).
  11. Removed the Driver's side end fuse box cover.
  12. Removed five screws and dropped the driver's knee pad.(Did not need to remove it completely)
  13. Carefully fed the cable attached to the Bodil phone holder through the dash insides. This cable has a USB plug on it.
  14. I had a 12 volt to 5 volt cabled dropper with a USB socket so connected this with the phone holder plug.
  15. Connected the two dropper input supply leads to earth and an ignition switched supply in the nearside fuse box. This was easy because I have previously sorted these when first fitting my dash cam. (These became spare when I fed my dash cam from the roof electrics assembly).
  16. Tried the phone and it worked, even charging with ignition on.
  17. Refitted the driver knee pad, carefully routing the cable between that and the centre consul, avoiding the points where the knee pad clips and hooks into the body work.
  18. Used five screws to retain the knee pad.
  19. Refitted the short narrow trim between steering wheel and driver's door.
  20. Refitted the offside end fuse box cover.
  21. Sat in the front passenger seat and refitted the long thin trim.
  22. Had a massive panic attack. The MMI screen had popped up because I had accidentally touched the screen On/Off button on the strip, but the screen was BLANK. Took the trim off again. Tried ignition on then off. Still blank screen stuck up. Swore at the neighbour's dog. Refitted the long trim.
  23. Replaced the credit card slot cover.
  24. Screen still up. Nothing would shift it. I could see and hear the stealers' tills racking up the pounds like a late night taxi. THEN the light dawned, AMI and CD player out, hence no complete MOST loop. Bloodie idiot Armstrong. You are not safe out. Quickly plugged them both in and WOW, everything was back working. Disconnected them both so I could do the next bit.
  25. Offered up the glove box, reconnected the plug and tried to put said glove box back in the correct position. Would it go in, no way. So I wriggled it, pushed it, had another swear at the neighbour's dog ( wanted to shout at SWMBO but being still rather fragile I had a go at the poor dog). Eventually it went in. Quickly fitted seven screws. Oh bugger, where is the eighth screw. It's gone. (Probably did not appreciate my colourful language) Anyone got a spare screw? I think that I might rename this thread. Realised that I had trapped one of the fibre optic cables behind the glove box, loosened all seven screws, wriggled it some more and finally struck lucky. Fibre optic free and clear, fast as I could, seven screws tightened home.
  26. Refitted CD player.
  27. Refitted AMI.
  28. Looked at it, crossed fingers and tried ignition. Surprise, beautiful surprise, everything working correctly. Blasted some high level Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon to exercise the speakers and annoy the neighbour's dog. I had better start treating him better. He is a three month old Rottweiler and he's gonna be a grosse hund soon.
Anyone got a spare screw? Pretty please.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)

Last edited by tc4332; 17th April 2017 at 03:23 PM.
Old 17th April 2017, 09:29 PM

I'm just here for the write up. Nice effort Ray Like reading my own experiences with the 8, more concisely documented, yet following the familiar pattern. Excitement with new toy, promptly followed by disappointment, panic, awkward contortions during 2-3 hrs longer than you thought the install would take and then it all works,... And it's back together, but you've either got a screw leftover or you've lost one. Can't win!!

What type of screw (ooh errr) do you need Ray? Any pictures of one?

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 18th April 2017, 07:02 AM

Nice write up Ray! What you need is VAG part N90729002 or, dare I say, this non OEM M5 x 16 from Toolstation and washer

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Scre...n+Screw/p32632

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,
Old 18th April 2017, 05:42 PM

Hi John,
I was planning on taking a photo of the missing screw and then realised that a photo of nothing would not be much help. So I'll have to open up my toolbox again, remove one of the screws that is the same as the missing one for a photograph. Then put it back in before I lose that one

Hi Matty,
How do you do that?
The missing screw is one of the three that hold the top of the glove box to the dash. I don't remember a washer but it did have a larger head presumably to stop it tearing a big hole.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 18th April 2017, 06:24 PM

I'd be shocked if A8 Parts don't have one in stock
Old 18th April 2017, 06:34 PM

I think a nice pencil drawing, an Artist's impression ought to suffice Ray?!?!

Matt is one of those helpful enigmas, a man always with a quick and helpful answer to the unanswerable question. No one knows how he does it, or if he's actually just the one person, and not a team of people who share the same username.

Would this screw be of any use? My son just found it on our drive, it's likely from the A2 breaker I had a while back. If so I could use it as an excuse to drive over, and abandon SWMBO for an our or three!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2034.PNG
Views:	221
Size:	2.01 MB
ID:	15931  

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

Old 18th April 2017, 07:31 PM

John, that looks like the one.
I looked at A8 Parts Shop and used Matty's part number, came back 0 stock.
So I thought no problem, wait until our annual meet and during the visit to A8 parts see if I can find one lying around doing nothing. Then I suppose I could be lucky and find one with a new car still attached. Do you think David and his super crew would mind if I just pocketed one?
No need to dash over here, nothing is falling to pieces, next time we have a real reason will suffice, but thanks.
I don't want you driving many miles just for a screw. Ooops, think I'd better stop now.

Old 18th April 2017, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4332 View Post
John, that looks like the one.
I looked at A8 Parts Shop and used Matty's part number, came back 0 stock.
So I thought no problem, wait until our annual meet and during the visit to A8 parts see if I can find one lying around doing nothing. Then I suppose I could be lucky and find one with a new car still attached. Do you think David and his super crew would mind if I just pocketed one?
No need to dash over here, nothing is falling to pieces, next time we have a real reason will suffice, but thanks.
I don't want you driving many miles just for a screw. Ooops, think I'd better stop now.
Ok, ok, Ray. So I offer you a really good, strong and dirty screw, and you turn me down. I see what's going on here!

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

Old 27th April 2017, 09:08 AM

The missing screw is no longer missing.
Well the truth is that it is still missing but not down to my fault. Having rethought the contortions I went through removing and refitting the glove box I realised that since Gwen bought me the 8 there has only been one screw at the rear of the glove box instead of the two that should be there. Hope that that makes sense to my loyal and extremely bored readers. What it means is that I did not lose the missing screw, it was a missing screw before my time.
The good news is that I no longer need another screw. Sorry John, your magnaminous offer of a personally delivered strong and dirty screw is no longer in need of partaking of. The empty place that the missing screw should have been in is now occupied by a brand new screw.
Somebody alluded in another thread that it seems that I know a lot of people. Well it seems that such an attribute has a useful purpose. One person that I know is rather high up in the Bentley hierarchy at their Crewe works and knowing about the saga of the missing screw he very kindly obtained a handful of various screws from the factory assembly area and deposited them into my toolbox. One of these screws is now standing in for the missing screw.
So anyone passing near to my 8 will now have to bow or curtsey in reverence to my Bentley/Audi A8
Now you can all go to sleep if you are not already there. (Night, night kissy)

Old 27th April 2017, 09:13 AM

I hope you declared that mod to your insurance company, otherwise they may only pay out for a standard Audi screw in the event of a claim

That said, getting screwed by Audi is probably just as expensive as by Bentley