A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 7th September 2017, 09:49 AM

7-8 years ago, dealers were paying 80p a litre for bulk Castrol LLIII.
They sold it in parts dept for £55 for 4 litres.
Same product - many markets.
Old 7th September 2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briang9 View Post
Not really sure why a debate is needed, Quantum is the brand produced by VW/Audi for their engines so meets the required spec (though as has been said it's probably rebranded Castrol or such like), and it's what Dealers and Audi Independant will use too...so sounds good enough to me..
Well, not everything produced by the dealer is the best quality and I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to engine oils, basically know nothing, so just needed an advice as there is plenty contradicting info online, that's all Brian.

So what you are saying guys is paying extra £70-£80 for 25 litres of Castrol Edge vs Quantum is basically mugging yourself off??

Ok then, I will get 25l of Quantum Longlife III 5W-30.

Last question
How about Quantum Platinum 5W-40?? Is it a better option for cars with higher mileage??

Pug, what I will do then is only one flush at least.
I will drain the oil, put new filter and new oil inc engine flush, run it for 20min, drain oil and change the filter and oil again.

Thank you once again boys for all the advice and comments

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 7th September 2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrstaylor View Post
Why not drive it for a week or two between steps 3 and 4?
Sounds like a good idea, but I would prefer to have it done in one day - got plenty to get on with around the car.

Apparently there could be between 1-2litres of old oil left in the pipeline and various components after draining, so my idea is to fill it up with fresh oil to flush it all out before draining it again and refilling with fresh oil.

Makes sense ??

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
Old 7th September 2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-A8 View Post
Apparently there could be between 1-2litres of old oil left in the pipeline and various components after draining, so my idea is to fill it up with fresh oil to flush it all out before draining it again and refilling with fresh oil.

Makes sense ??
Does to me. I've done that in the past, but I've never used a chemical flush.

Quantum Longlife III 5W30 is VW 504.00/507.00 - newer spec

Quantum Platinum 5w40 is VW 502.00/505.00

The newer spec was developed for PD diesel engines to protect and avoid camshaft wear, and as it's longlife it is a quality oil. Obviously do oil changes 5k or twice a year for best protection. Just to add 502 & 504 refer to petrol engines, and 505 & 507 to diesel.

The next question you have is the oil weight. Are you just concerned because it's a higher mileage or have you noticed some consumption?

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,
Old 7th September 2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattylondon View Post
Does to me. I've done that in the past, but I've never used a chemical flush.

Quantum Longlife III 5W30 is VW 504.00/507.00 - newer spec

Quantum Platinum 5w40 is VW 502.00/505.00

The newer spec was developed for PD diesel engines to protect and avoid camshaft wear, and as it's longlife it is a quality oil. Obviously do oil changes 5k or twice a year for best protection. Just to add 502 & 504 refer to petrol engines, and 505 & 507 to diesel.

The next question you have is the oil weight. Are you just concerned because it's a higher mileage or have you noticed some consumption?
Morning Matt
There is no issue with consumption. I think in 4000 miles I've done so far I've topped the engine oil up only once - 250-300ml IIRC.
Done the compression test on each cylinder when I got her and it's between 11.75-12.25 bar across all the cylinders.
It is mainly mileage - I'm sure I don't have to remind you how unnecessarily an@l I can be
Plus it's me doing it now for the first time so I want to do it right and learn a bit as well at the same time - lesson 1: don't be a mug and don't spent extra on Castrol, just buy Quantum (tick)

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Old 7th September 2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:

Last question
How about Quantum Platinum 5W-40?? Is it a better option for cars with higher mileage??

Pug, what I will do then is only one flush at least.
I will drain the oil, put new filter and new oil inc engine flush, run it for 20min, drain oil and change the filter and oil again.

Thank you once again boys for all the advice and comments
The 5w40 is not considered long life spec. I can't comment as to whether it would be suitable for your engine.

A8/S8 - A gap to fill.

Multi-Franchise Main Dealer during the day, Amateur vehicle enthusiast by night.
Old 7th September 2017, 02:08 PM

OK guys, so I've just picked from Audi 2x oil filters, fuel filter and other bits inc. new drain plug with washer.

Plan is:
1. Drain oil, fit new filter, fill her up with fresh oil and drive approx 100miles.
2. Then can of Wynns engine flush, run engine for about 20-30min, drain the new oil, fit 2nd new filter and new drain plug, fill with fresh oil.
Done.

Sounds good?

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Old 7th September 2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:

Last question
Hi Marcin, I don't know anything about oil either only the stuff I read on the internet
If you can get info about Q.Platinum 5W40's HTHS value and NOACK (some kind of volatility test value) and compare it to other oils, this will give you a better indication of if its better for your engine than another oil.
In the oil specs by Audi, BMW, Mercedes, etc, HTHS and NOACK values are very important in meeting the spec. Oil weights such as 30, 40, etc are pretty vague and don't really mean much.
Old 7th September 2017, 04:45 PM

I found this article quite informative:

http://www.oilspecifications.org/art..._explained.php
Old 7th September 2017, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Ok then, I will get 25l of Quantum Longlife III 5W-30
I had 20l delivered today, this was the cheapest I could find, and that was delivered to my door