A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > IT, AV and other Tech

IT, AV and other Tech All computing, home cinema and technology that isnt car related

Old 31st October 2017, 02:19 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
I don't think we will see anything more than 2x more efficient than S9 for a long time. And I don't think anything 2x more efficient will ship fast enough in big numbers to make much difference considering Bitcoin network hashrate is equivalent to 800k S9 miners. I think from the first news it would be at least 6 monnths before it makes considerable impact.
True.

I'd certainly buy another S9. The one I have has never earned much more than about £300/month but it has been very reliable and consistent. I think it probably paid for itself about 2-3 months ago.

What price are you renting your L3+ for at miningrigrentals now by the way?

I put mine in on the low side initially, probably at a slight loss (compared to NiceHash), at around 0.000007. I figured that would get more rentals to enable me to quickly gain a Rental Performance Index (RPI) and therefore improve the chances of it being rented so that I can then increase the price.

That seems to have worked. I now have an RPI of 97% and I'm getting more frequent rentals, so I've been creeping the price up. Even at 0.0000085 it was beginning to get rented almost continuously, so I'm now gradually pushing up towards 0.000009.

I've got the L3+ overclocked to 481Mhz and I'm advertising it at 625 MH/s. Beyond 481 I find I start to get a lot of hardware errors and, above 625MH/s, my RPI is adversely affected.
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 31st October 2017, 04:31 PM

I am following prices on both miningrigrentals and nicehash and price it near the low end end of whats available on miningrigrentals and at least 5 higher than nicehash. It has been anywhere from 70 to 95. The last 2 rentals are 80 and 81 for 243 and 48 hrs which is quite good compared that nicehash average price for last 24 hrs is 62. I am not sure how they choose what to rent as I have seen similar hashrate rigs with 100 reputation on the same EU server listed cheaper than mine at the same time and not getting rented while somebody chooses mine.

Mine are also both at 481MHz but I am advertising them at 640MH/s and they usually reach it or very near unless somebody is mining on very low difficulty. If it goes below 90% and yellow I extend rental time a bit until it hits 90%.

I have tried 500MHz on the first one but it was gettong a lot of errors and have not tried anything between 481 and 500. The 2nd I just set to 481 MHz without any testing and it works fine.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 31st October 2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
If it goes below 90% and yellow I extend rental time a bit until it hits 90%.
That's what I've done a couple of times, and included a message to the renter to explain why. One guy messaged me back to say "don't worry about it, it's the crappy pool I'm mining that's causing it". Problem is, if your RPI is low, it's undoubtedly going to affect the number of rentals you get. I've gone with a claimed hash rate of 625 because that should average out close to 100%, allowing for the occasional "crappy pool". I suspect people will be willing to pay a little more for a rig that has an RPI close to 100%. Certainly since I got my RPI score it seems to get rented at a higher price than it would've previously.

Cars Owned:
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 1st November 2017, 05:07 PM

Hi There,

Well I've got the S7 now. Came with an APW3 power supply and it is up and running by my desk. It's a bit on the noisy side that is for sure. Even the PSU isn't the quietest.
Definately louder than my fan heater which is a shame as it doesn't do bad for heating the place

4.7-4.8 TH/s though oddly Nicehash seemed to say the accepted was 5.63 TH/s
I've made about 50p in playing this afternoon. Tweaking fan rates and so forth!
60/65/60 at 45% on the fan rate, though i'm surprised it doesn't do an adjustment by temperature!

Asics 45 x 3 at 700 which seems to be the standard for this version

Just signed up to Slushpool to have a look at that as I'm not entirely sure with how Nicehash works atm. Kato looks another interesting pool for a dip in at some point!

My 4 GPU rig has also turned up and i've put it back together and i'm going to go home and see what that is like. Probably a lot quieter, if messy, slower, yet more configurable.....when it works!

Lee

Previous :
1998 S8 PF 4.2 V8 D2 - Gearbox died ~120k
2002 S8 FL 4.2 40v V8 D2 Prins LPG - Engine valves met pistons ~230K

Also :
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l (Post Apocalyptic makeover)
2003 Brabus Smart FourTwo (should sell)
2003 Mazda Rx8 2.3 (might sell)

Last edited by ulfilias; 1st November 2017 at 05:21 PM.
Old 1st November 2017, 05:59 PM

NiceHash's speed readings are normally all over the place, even just from one page refresh to the next. With each refresh you should be able to get some idea of what you're getting on average though. As long as you're not getting too many rejected shares and the earning (after a few days of settling time) are somewhere near their estimated profitability, you can probably assume it's working correctly.

The Antminers do make a bit of a din! ... I'd say it's at a level somewhere between a server and a vacuum cleaner. If you have a basement, cellar or suitable cupboard, you could shut them away and use ventilation ducting to send the warm air to where you want it, like this guy did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjP5ekChJJ0

Cars Owned:

Last edited by moltuae; 1st November 2017 at 06:06 PM.
Old 2nd November 2017, 01:53 PM

CryptoNight mining payouts have gone up a lot today, RX 480 cards are doing more than £3/day now. RX Vega 64 more than £6/day Even turned on CPU mining, as its actually making more money than consuming power even on CPU, not sure how long it will last. Looks like Nicehash does not have CryptoNight miner included for nVidia cards, GTX 1080Ti should do slightly better than RX480

8 history:
Old 2nd November 2017, 02:26 PM

My nVidia cards are maybe making slightly more than average today. It seems to be the AMD cards that are performing best.

Incidently, if you haven't been following the news, the reason for the bullish Bitcoin price seems to be largely due to the CME Group announcement, seen by many as a major positive signal, indicating a move towards mainstream adoption.

Looks like Clif High was correct about October and, given the recent news and price trajectory, I think his predictions for the coming months may be correct too:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS9xzbgM074
(If you haven't watched it already, it's quite a long interview, but I'd recommend watching the first 15 mins or so at least).

Cars Owned:

Old 3rd November 2017, 12:01 PM

Have the Antiminer on a timer ATM. It means my office is nice and tosty in the morning! It'll get 12-16hrs a day at that and 24 for weekends. Slows down the ROI but it's useful and reasonable.
I've seen bits on pic hacking it to get it to undervolt making it much quieter (single or without fans!) and cheaper to run (seams about half the hash rate gives a third of the power) but whilst worth knowing, not really my aim atm

Slushpool is giveing me 0.01000000 BTC ~predicted every two weeks on my timer usage which is pretty reasonable!

Got my 4x Nvidia 970 rig working. It's a little heath robinson in it's build, but has given me an idea of how these things are built. It was shipped with the cards seperate which was fun, but I've built quite a few PCs so that wasn't too bad. Powered it up and nothing.....Stripped it down, checked stuff, no direct issues, rebuilt....nothing. Dead power cable *DOH*. Powered up, 3 beeps. Resat memory and BINGO
Windows 8.1 which is a bit new to me and mild ick, but hey!
Old drivers, software and a few oddities but looks pretty clean (i'm suspicious)

I've got it running Nicehash and it keeps changing what quite it is doing which is irritating as change over causes a fair amount of drop and spool up. I did wonder if it was doing it to max profits, but I think it's based off what Nicehash wants to mine as it seems to switch down etc!

Seems to be getting 0.0005-6 BTC a day. Am wondering what else I can mine with it instead and what pool. Vertminer is on it but needs research and *ANOTHER* wallet!

The rig FYI
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Compact-n...72.m2749.l2649

Previous :
1998 S8 PF 4.2 V8 D2 - Gearbox died ~120k
2002 S8 FL 4.2 40v V8 D2 Prins LPG - Engine valves met pistons ~230K

Also :
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l (Post Apocalyptic makeover)
2003 Brabus Smart FourTwo (should sell)
2003 Mazda Rx8 2.3 (might sell)
Old 3rd November 2017, 08:42 PM

It's been a good mining week Friday to Friday for me. I just keep it Friday to Friday because it happens that NiceHash pays out on Friday mornings for me. With the week starting at lower BTC value and getting paid more in BTC and value raising later in the week, some good rentals on miningrigrentals and a sudden surge in CryptoNight payouts yesterday and the BTC value rising over week I have made about £530 after all fees if I was to sell at the moment on Bittylicious with ~£75 electricity costs. I was expecting about £350 so £530 is a pleasant surprise, obviously there will be disappointing weeks at times as well where I will make less than expected. Not selling my Bitcoins at the moment by the way although I am tempted to sell part of them while the price is high as it may go up or go down.

I wish I ordered S9 from Bitmain couple of weeks ago when they were $1265 for end of previous batch. Now even latest batch for $1415 is sold out. The ones on e-bay go for over £2.5k, not really ready to pay that much, seems like L3+ is a better value at £2.5k with the lower power consumption but I already have 2 and don't want to put it all in one bag and would like something else to spread the risks. That being said it also seems that you cannot even get L3+ for £2.5k on e-bay anymore.

8 history:

Last edited by ainarssems; 3rd November 2017 at 08:54 PM.
Old 3rd November 2017, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Have the Antiminer on a timer ATM. It means my office is nice and tosty in the morning! It'll get 12-16hrs a day at that and 24 for weekends. Slows down the ROI but it's useful and reasonable.
I've seen bits on pic hacking it to get it to undervolt making it much quieter (single or without fans!) and cheaper to run (seams about half the hash rate gives a third of the power) but whilst worth knowing, not really my aim atm
You might want to consider putting it in cooler box as silencer with some vent ducting. I am considering it but it's not too much of the problem for me at the moment as one is on the loft and the other one in garage with just the GPU rigs heating the house. Something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfxVGqJamwM

Quote:
My second L3+ arrived today, all working fine. It was older firmware and second fan running slower and running at higher temp. I updated firmware and temps have gone lower but second fan still runs slower. Overclocked to 481MHz like the other one and running OK. For now I have just pointed it to nicehash but will probably put on miningrigrentals just need to decide if I want to combine them both up as one or to keep as 2 separate.
I swapped around the plugs for intake and exhaust fans and its the fan that is different as it runs slower also if connected to intake header.

8 history: