A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > IT, AV and other Tech

IT, AV and other Tech All computing, home cinema and technology that isnt car related

Old 23rd November 2017, 08:53 AM

How useful! I got a Vega 56 before OCUK sold out so I'll have to get an emulator too

I can't find anyone else selling the Vega even close to OCUK's price. Best so far is CCL at £487
Ooh £428 from Aria on special offer.

Last edited by MikkiJayne; 23rd November 2017 at 11:04 AM.
Old 23rd November 2017, 10:12 AM

Yes I have emulator, my other AMD does not run correctly either without anything connected but runs fine with emulator but I cannot get max out of Vega without display. The thing is that I still need to see what's on the screen to do AMD Wattman adjustments so need to connect actual display or do remote login anyway at some point. If I have emulator and actual display connected it still drops performance when I disconnect actual display. Using Remote desktop or TeamWiewer I can never get full performance in the first place. I have also tried connecting display to other cards and using different HDMI/DisplayPort connections but without much success. If I could write the batch file to do all the settings on PC startup and then start the miner with just the emulator connected and then periodically check if miner has not frozen and restart it if required it might work but that's a bit above my skills so I have just settled for 1700H/s for now.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 23rd November 2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
How useful! I got a Vega 56 before OCUK sold out so I'll have to get an emulator too

I can't find anyone else selling the Vega even close to OCUK's price. Best so far is CCL at £487
I saw them yesterday on OCUK and on Amazon for £390 but there are none on OCUK at all today and all on Amazon are a lot more expensive today. Maybe on Black Friday prices will be down again.

Also 1 of the RX580 that I pre-ordered from Amazon in July was finally delivered to me ( from France ) and at very discounted price as well. Amazon only charges card when item is actually shipped not like ebyuer who happily took my money straight away for pre-order and then refunded couple of weeks later saying that they could not get any stock.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	421
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	17545  

8 history:
Old 24th November 2017, 11:50 PM

I think i might have cracked running Vega.

1. At the start I connected it to the main PCI-e slot where you would put your GPU if you only had one and once I was satisfied that it was running I added other 2 cards. When I was trying to troubleshoot performance problems switching display on/off I just moved display connection to another card.I have now moved Vega to another slot and one of RX 480cards to primary slot and that now has display connected.

2. Before I was running all batch files for different cards from the same miner file, I have now made copies of miner in different folders and each batch file for each card runs from a separate file.

I am not sure which of this has made the difference or if it will last but for now I can get 1.9K H/s from Vega and I can use TeamViewer without causing ill effects.

8 history:
Old 25th November 2017, 07:53 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Nice work

I think I might still stick with nVidia cards for my next GPU rig; they're just so much less hassle.

Have you got your D3 yet Ainars?

My D3 arrived a few days ago. Tried it on NiceHash initially but, as expected, profitability was poor (just about managing 1mBTC/day). I'm trying it on poolmining.org right now. I don't expect the earnings to be any higher but it'll be earning Dash, the price of which I'm expecting/hoping will rise in line with mining difficulty.
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 25th November 2017, 08:03 AM

Ainars have you seen any stability issues with the Vega? I seem to have managed to make the only Vega rig which can't mine Cryptonight They will happily do anything else, but even benchmarking Cryptonight in Nicehash causes them to lock up. That's with the blockchain driver on Windows 10.

I did manage to get both cards running 2KH/s with Cast-XMR following that guide you posted, but only for 60 seconds then they locked up again If they lock up while mining they will keep consuming power too!

Most vexing! Going to try one on a Windows 7 board later...
Old 25th November 2017, 10:43 AM

I have not even tried NiceHash miner. I am also on Windows 10 with blockchain driver and XMR miner. It has had some lockups but nothing like 60 sec, I think longest it's been running without issues was 4 days. I have not noticed if they still consume power when locked up. I am not sure if it will work on windows 7, requirements show Windows 8/10.

Have you tried at stock settings, not overclocked to see if they lock up, also 1 card at the time, switch cables, connectors. What memory speed are you running on your cards? Mine only works up to 975MHz, guide shows up to 990.
You can also try saving 2 copies of miner either renaming it or having in 2 separate folders and running each card from separate file.

After I made adjustments yesterday on mine it's been running OK so far

It's definitely not a set and forget solution as the driver is beta and miner is also still in development. Even other AMD cards with supported drivers and other miners are not that stable. nVidia is much better in that regard but more expensive and slower returns. It all depends if you have time or want to spend time monitoring or you just want to set it up once and leave it alone. I have TeamViewer installed on all PC's and phone so I just check in every now and again and restart if required.

8 history:

Last edited by ainarssems; 25th November 2017 at 10:52 AM.
Old 25th November 2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
Nice work

I think I might still stick with nVidia cards for my next GPU rig; they're just so much less hassle.

My D3 arrived a few days ago. Tried it on NiceHash initially but, as expected, profitability was poor (just about managing 1mBTC/day). I'm trying it on poolmining.org right now. I don't expect the earnings to be any higher but it'll be earning Dash, the price of which I'm expecting/hoping will rise in line with mining difficulty.
Has not even shipped yet, I bought mine day or couple later from another batch that accepted BTC instead of USD. It was advertised as shipping 21st-30th November so there is still time.

8 history:
Old 25th November 2017, 07:51 PM

Vega still running fine since the changes yesterday, the cheap RX 580 from Amazon added to my AMD rig so that's another £42/month with less than £10 extra in electricity costs, - not bad for a card that Amazon only charged me £102 for. D3 still not shipped but received $125 coupon from Bitmain , valid till end of June 2018. Not looking to buy more at the moment, need to recoup some of expenses first but it will probably go towards another S9 in January-March next year or maybe even better a couple of R4's but I have not seen them for sale on Bitmain. The problemI have is most of GPUs are on ground floor, ASICS on the loft and in garage, thermostat for heating is downstairs and GPU's keep it warm enough that gas heating almost never comes on but as the warm air foes rises up and cools down I am starting to get condensation on windows upstairs. R4's might be ideal for 1st floor with reduced noise level comparing to S9.

There are couple of custom design Vegas out there that should have better cooling/less noise but will probably be expensive:
https://hothardware.com/news/powerco...ocked-preorder
https://hothardware.com/news/xfx-off...double-edition

Baikal Giant X10 profit dropping as expected, still on top for now but will probably go down a lot by the end of year.

S9 earning well with L3+ is not bad and at selected times better than S9.

Dash and Ether prices have gone up but Nicehash mining payouts for both while have increased a bit does not reflect price increase, Litecoin have done very well today as well - +13%

8 history:

Last edited by ainarssems; 25th November 2017 at 08:00 PM.
Old 25th November 2017, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
Nice work

What made you go with poolmining.org? I was going to use suprnova because of their 0% fees but I am open to alternatives.

8 history: