A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > IT, AV and other Tech

IT, AV and other Tech All computing, home cinema and technology that isnt car related

Old 6th December 2017, 12:24 PM

NiceHash has been down since morning. Previously when it went down it was for a short period of time only but today it's been down for long time. At least my L3+s were rented out on miningrigrentals at a price 20-25% higher than NiceHash. As the NiceHash was down for long time I started to look for quick and easy alternatives so gave WinMiner a try. Income from Vega card is a lot less, nVidia and rest of AMD cards are not far off what was on NiceHash but it's hard to compare with NiceHash being down at the moment. Winminer does not want to work correctly on my Microserver. WinMiner also allows to withdraw USD to PayPal account.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	611
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	17593  

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure

Last edited by ainarssems; 6th December 2017 at 12:42 PM.
Old 6th December 2017, 01:32 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Might give that one a try. Thanks for posting

It is unusual for NiceHash to be down for so long. The longest outage I've ever experienced was probably about 3 hours.

Lot of angry people posting on their Twitter page now, some demanding to be compensated for all the free money they're missing out on!
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 6th December 2017, 02:27 PM

Not a big deal for me since my BT line is also broken today, and I still haven't got the Vega rig stable either. I'm not going to miss the 60p that the GTX960 hasn't earned today.
Old 6th December 2017, 09:46 PM

Uh oh! Looks like bad news for NiceHash ...

https://www.reddit.com/r/NiceHash/co...t_by_nicehash/

Cars Owned:
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 6th December 2017, 10:59 PM

Just seen this online also

https://www.coindesk.com/62-million-...cehash-hacked/

Old 6th December 2017, 11:16 PM

There's the same statement on Nicehash's homepage too. At least I've only lost £20 of GTX960 earnings, since the Vega rig won't work.

I'm trying Minergate at the moment - very poor hash rates on the Vegas, and I can't get xmr-stak to connect to the pool.

To quote someone on the Nicehash reddit page: "We mined so hard, and got so far - but in the end it doesn't even matter"

Last edited by MikkiJayne; 6th December 2017 at 11:36 PM.
Old 7th December 2017, 12:10 AM

I tried Minergate. Odd software and I really wasn't sure about them!

Been playing with that winminer. The portable version keeps it all nicely in one folder. Found a better cryptonight algorithm in there too, which i've now copied the miner and running with my suprnova pool

Also came across this one in a youtube vid, but haven't had time to check it out!
https://miningpoolhub.com/

Generally preferring Ethos over Windows this last month, but thought i'd switch back over (pull the usb stick) and see how the new things i'd mined worked on windows. BTG definitely better on Ethos, but so far ETN is looking good on Windows, though my cards are a higher temp!

As for Nicehash.....people have been warned and warned about leaving things on servers, though given the amount the crooks either swiped the Nicehash bank or had a lot of time to sweep users. I'm guessing the former and WHAT company leaves that sort of exposure online ???

Previous :
1998 S8 PF 4.2 V8 D2 - Gearbox died ~120k
2002 S8 FL 4.2 40v V8 D2 Prins LPG - Engine valves met pistons ~230K

Also :
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l (Post Apocalyptic makeover)
2003 Brabus Smart FourTwo (should sell)
2003 Mazda Rx8 2.3 (might sell)
Old 7th December 2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulfilias View Post

As for Nicehash.....people have been warned and warned about leaving things on servers, though given the amount the crooks either swiped the Nicehash bank or had a lot of time to sweep users. I'm guessing the former and WHAT company leaves that sort of exposure online ???
I think another mistake they made (assuming it doesn't turn out to be an inside job) was not changing the payout thresholds to keep up with the price of BTC. The weekly 'pot' must've been getting larger and larger. When I first started using NiceHash, you would receive a payout if your earnings exceeded 0.1 BTC before the scheduled weekly payout day. 0.1 BTC back then was around £100 or less, presently it's over £1,000. I was averaging about £500 per week, so I was probably up to about £400 at the time of the hack. Can't complain I guess; my miners are heating the house regardless. I've really just lost a few day's earnings.

Presently I'm using Prohashing for my L3+ miners, KanoPool for my S9 and poolmining.org for my D3. I've just started trialling WinMiner for my GPU rigs -- seems ok so far but I'm not sure if the earnings are as high as they were on NiceHash.

Cars Owned:

Old 7th December 2017, 11:15 AM

WinMiner was working fine for me at the start yesterday, I was expecting £25-30 per day but as more people jumped over from NiceHash at first live dashboard stopped working. Then my balance was up to $7, 1 hour later down to $5, income rate went down, miners were loosing connection as well. In total it has earned about £14 in 22hrs, it's still profit considering that I did not use more than £5 in electricity for it but not great. I am sure it's to do with unexpected sudden increase of users that they could not scale up fast enough. I have switched my AMD cards to mine Electroneum directly now. Left nVidia cards on Winminer for now as have not decided what to mine with them but it's disconnected most of the time. According to whattomine.com Electroneum should bring me over $50 per day with less than $5 electricity costs with the hashrate I am getting from 9x RX4*0/5*0 + 1x Vega 56.

L3+ are getting rented out on miningrigrentals, I was afraid more hashing power sellers will move over there and rates will go down but it looks like more buyers moved over there than sellers so rates are up and instead of getting 20-30% more than on NiceHash I am now getting 40-50% more. When not rented out they will fall back to prohashing but is quite low payout there.

D3 only arrived yesterday eveneing and only tested it out today, I was going to use suprnova pool but for now pointed it to poolmining.org. Seems to be working OK, will let it run till tomorrow, then try modified firmware and possibly mine Monacocoin directly with it which should be about 50% more profitable than Dash.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 7th December 2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
I think another mistake they made (assuming it doesn't turn out to be an inside job) was not changing the payout thresholds to keep up with the price of BTC.
</quote>

Yeah. I remember when i first had a play that the payout limits were high. One of the reasons I stopped with them. *IF* it's the customer accounts that have been hacked. I've probably lost a couple of quid!

It's one of the pool irritations I have, that you often leave a few quid on whichever pool you try when looking around. Took me a while to get to the mins to leave one or two and I've still got a bit on Minergate that I may yet go back for!

<quote>
Presently I'm using Prohashing for my L3+ miners, KanoPool for my S9 and poolmining.org for my D3. I've just started trialling WinMiner for my GPU rigs -- seems ok so far but I'm not sure if the earnings are as high as they were on NiceHash.
I was interested in Kanopool as it looked really good, but i've so far stayed with Slushpool. I do like the interface and mobile app. Could be tempted to try it with my 2 card S7 and see how it does for a month!

https://whattomine.com/asic Is currently showing BTC as the best bet, probably because today it spiked up *AGAIN*. Bit odd after the Nicehash thing? Last week it was saying BCH!

However I do wonder about chucking a day into one or two of the high yeild coins. Less profit now, but huge growth to hold and not much lost if they don't!

Lee

Previous :
1998 S8 PF 4.2 V8 D2 - Gearbox died ~120k
2002 S8 FL 4.2 40v V8 D2 Prins LPG - Engine valves met pistons ~230K

Also :
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l (Post Apocalyptic makeover)
2003 Brabus Smart FourTwo (should sell)
2003 Mazda Rx8 2.3 (might sell)