A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 17th October 2017, 11:05 PM

Default European speeding tickets

Looks like things have now changed when driving in europe.

Ive been flashed abroad a few times over the years by speed cameras and never worried about it as the UK had opted out of the system to re-patriate fines.

However, i recently drove through Luxembourg and a few weeks after getting home I received a €49 fine for speeding. Annoyingly 115kph in 110kph zone- on investigation the rules changed in May so fines can now be passed back to the UK, including the requirement to collect the money if they arent paid.

2004 A8 3.0 TDI Sport Brilliant Black
Came with: Black Valcona/Alcantara Leather, KESSY, rear blind, flappy paddle gear change, Phone Prep, TV
Added:Bluetooth, AMI, Hybrid TV, Parking plus, Ski hatch, towbar, DAB, Umbrella Holder, Reversing camera, Auto lights, Wheel refurb
Things to fix: Turbo fault, power drain
Old 17th October 2017, 11:56 PM

not sure how they will pursue that, also brexit.

SOLD. Audi A8L 4.2TDI Silver 2006

Seat Ibiza 1.4tdi Eco 2008 Silver (£0 Tax)sold

NO VCDS rely on Neeldub
Old 18th October 2017, 06:35 AM

The rules did indeed change, and I’ve told family members. Early summer the wife and the inlaws both got flashed by cameras in France, and have rec’d nothing in the post, 3+ months later.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 18th October 2017, 07:00 AM

over the last two years, I have had one in Monaco and one in Pisa, both pursued with letters, the Monaco one falls under French jurisdiction apparently and they can either seize your car till you pay or ban you from driving in France - so if you don't pay and get caught driving, they pursue you for other means.

I paid both and chalked it up to experience.
Old 18th October 2017, 08:03 AM

Yeah, I paid up too - it wasnt the future problems driving in Luxembourg that was the clincher (very unlikely to return in th 8) but the ability to pass the fine back to the UK for collection.

http://ec.europa.eu/justice/criminal...s/index_en.htm

2004 A8 3.0 TDI Sport Brilliant Black
Came with: Black Valcona/Alcantara Leather, KESSY, rear blind, flappy paddle gear change, Phone Prep, TV
Added:Bluetooth, AMI, Hybrid TV, Parking plus, Ski hatch, towbar, DAB, Umbrella Holder, Reversing camera, Auto lights, Wheel refurb
Things to fix: Turbo fault, power drain
Old 18th October 2017, 09:16 AM

Been flashed a few times by those horrible front-facing cameras built into grey posts in Italy and France. Most recent was July in northern Italy but haven't received anything, although I sold the car a couple of weeks after returning to the UK but still, never received anything for past camera flashes abroad.
- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8

Last edited by Conquistador; 18th October 2017 at 09:19 AM.
Old 18th October 2017, 09:17 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somerandomguy View Post
Quote:
Why should the EU take action?

EU citizens benefit from freedom of movement. In order to tackle non-payment of financial penalties committed in another EU country, specific measures that allow the national courts effectively to impose and enforce financial penalties against offenders need to be taken.

The EU needs to act in order to ensure that all its citizens are treated equally wherever they live, move or travel in the EU.

In this context, such equal treatment means that non-residents should not be in a more favourable position than residents, because they would be able to escape paying a financial penalty by going back to their home countries.
Good to know it's all about freedom and fairness and not at all about collecting as much revenue as possible
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 18th October 2017, 10:03 AM

Is the offence not recorded against the driving licence then? And I presume no points allocated? So they have the means of collecting fines but not recording offences?

By the way, I would think that 5kph is below the the designed tolerance of car speedos and seems challengeable - if you wanted the hassle. (I had understood that the tolerance in UK is 10 per cent.)
Old 18th October 2017, 10:10 AM

I've been stopped twice, both times by hand held Gatso's. One time I was driving alone middle of nowhere between Rzeszow and Przemyśl in Poland on a back road just about to enter a small village. I was being tail-gated by a local so I sped up a bit right in view of the police. What luck! They waved me over but as I got near they just waved me on before I could speak with them. I can only assume they saw my UK plates and didn't want the hassle. I'm sure I was speeding but the sign posting in Poland on back roads is non-existing and didn't know what the limit was.

Second time was in Ukraine heading towards Kyiv on the main E40 road. There is a check point where you have to slow from nation speed to 90kph > 70 > 50 which I didn't slow in time for. Google map location You can see the traffic police with Gatso's. Once stopped I entered their office, did all the paperwork. Meanwhile a few phone calls were made and 20mins later I could go without the fine. Spending time making connections while fishing, shashlyk, and going to the sauna drinking vodka is essential in Ukraine!

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,
Old 18th October 2017, 07:37 PM

It's annoying that we get tied up into their fines, but we can't pursue Europeans for crossing the Dartford crossing without paying, even though it's a French company who own it!

A8/S8 - A gap to fill.

Multi-Franchise Main Dealer during the day, Amateur vehicle enthusiast by night.