A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 12th August 2016, 01:54 PM

Initial look at the pics suggests the exhaust has take an hit on the pas side pipe. Repair shop have probably priced a rear silencer, bumper, bumper support, maybe even a quarter panel which has tipped it in to cat-c territory

I'd have a really serious look inside the boot area under the trim/carpets and spend a bit of time under that corner of the car looking for signs of deeper damage

If there's none there it could be a nice bolt on fix.

A cat-C write off would only get 40% of 'bottom book' value if you're pricing up the real cost of the car.

Daily drive:
2016 Infiniti QX70.....a car that's even more complicated than my last Infiniti FX to modify

Current 'Project':
VW Crafter CR50 4 berth camper van

Previous 'Projects':
2006 Subaru Legacy Spec 'B' 3.0R,
1994 Ex-MOD Land Rover Defender, now "civilianised".
2000 Audi S8 FL

www.whall.co.uk
Old 12th August 2016, 07:35 PM

I have had several different category write offs in the past both repaired and not repaired. Most of unrepaired cars I was just driving as they are without doing any repairs. My S8 was Cat B write off in 2007 and I bought it 2008, I cannot see any evidence of it being repaired, left side was scratched and front bumper cracked but I don't think it was enough for Cat B so maybe flood damaged. I changed bumper for aftermarket after driving for couple of years as is and have not done anything to the side scratches. I will happily buy any category write off as long as it's the right car for the right price but most of the time I find they are priced too high or auction price goes higher than I would like to pay.

There are gaps in MOT history 02/2012, 04/2013, 07/2014, 11/2015 so it does not look like well cared for car and it should be around 120k miles now. So I would say it was £6-7k worth before damage, now I would not give more than £3k. I would be interested in it myself and would go have a look if it was closer to me but I think bidding will go above £3k so no point for me to travel the distance to see it.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 12th August 2016, 08:16 PM

If I was you Matt I'd be itching to go and have a butchers at that thing. If it's no worse than suggested, I'd bid what it's worth to you and then let the auction run. If it goes above your bid, so be it. Let someone else buy it.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 12th August 2016, 09:01 PM

On another note Cat A, B,or C write offs will have it recorded it on new Log book but you can request DVLA for it to be removed after car passes 3 MOT's after getting it back on road. I guess it has to be 3 years not 3 MOT's passed in the same week and it will still have write off recorded on HPI check but you can get it off logbook after 3 years.

8 history:
Old 12th August 2016, 09:53 PM

One more from me. When you buy unrepaired and get it done yourself or have somebody else do it for you, you will know exactly what the damage was and how well repair was done. If you buy one already repaired you always have to question what was done and how well was it done.

And another thing is that you could buy unrecorded car that has had a lot more damage than recorded one. For example when i bought my S8 as far as I could see there was not a single panel that has been repainted even if it was Cat B write off year before that. But the A6 I have has had everything apart from root repainted at several different times and front bumper at least twice but never recorded by insurance. It's OK by me as I saw it when buying car and I got it for a good price.

So having a market set against the car can have big impact on desirability but necessarily the condition of the car.

I see it has already gone over £3k mark so I am probably out. But the bids look suspicious with a '0' feedback bidder so I suspect shill bidding. I will wait and see, if it gets relisted.

8 history:

Last edited by ainarssems; 12th August 2016 at 10:44 PM.
Old 13th August 2016, 04:16 PM

Always a risk on Ebay or any other auction for that matter. They may be 'plants' by the seller/his mate or just time wasters

Regularly buy on Ebay but always go with a set upper limit and an 'i don't have to have it' attitude. Saves getting caught up in the emotion and costing you money.

£3k is getting very near the top of where i would want to be with that car.

If it reappears in 10 days time have another go.

Daily drive:
2016 Infiniti QX70.....a car that's even more complicated than my last Infiniti FX to modify

Current 'Project':
VW Crafter CR50 4 berth camper van

Previous 'Projects':
2006 Subaru Legacy Spec 'B' 3.0R,
1994 Ex-MOD Land Rover Defender, now "civilianised".
2000 Audi S8 FL

www.whall.co.uk
Old 14th August 2016, 10:02 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameiseuk View Post
Regularly buy on Ebay but always go with a set upper limit and an 'i don't have to have it' attitude. Saves getting caught up in the emotion and costing you money.
I use Gixen for that reason: http://www.gixen.com/index.php

Decide the maximum you want to pay, enter the amount and the Ebay item number into Gixen, done.

If the bidding remains under your maximum bid, Gixen will automatically put a bid on for you in the last few seconds of the auction.
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust

Last edited by moltuae; 17th August 2016 at 08:26 AM.
Old 16th August 2016, 04:00 PM

£5,800.00 with a day and a half to go!
Old 16th August 2016, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrstaylor View Post
£5,800.00 with a day and a half to go!
Silly money IMO

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 16th August 2016, 08:15 PM

Does it even have Audi wheels, or are they some bonko make