A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 10th January 2017, 12:50 PM

Default Looks like no more Wheeler Dealers

The production company, Attaboy Media, have a Kickstarter for a new programme. They state Attaboy TV has been producing Wheeler Dealers featuring Mike Brewer and Edd China for Discovery since 2003, with over 150 episodes. Unfortunately, it’s the end of the road for us and we won’t be producing any more episodes…

I wouldn't be surprised if Mike and Edd will work directly for Discovery and Velocity with a new show of some kind, and they have spending more time in the US where WD is one of Velocity's popular programmes.

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,
Old 10th January 2017, 01:11 PM

Shame, I really liked watching that programme, last few years have been much better with some far flung examples, the Lancia from Italy and the Alpine in particular
Old 10th January 2017, 07:30 PM

Well that's a shame I guess they don't feel like coming back from California.
Old 10th January 2017, 08:34 PM

I'm a big fan too. Fingers crossed they sort something out...

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 11th January 2017, 10:32 PM

That's a pity - mind you I wasn't a fan of the 'Americanisation' (read dumbing down) of their format which really took hold this season.

Edd used to explain things in much more detail and explained the entire restoration process better.
This season they went more for the stunt side of things...

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)
Old 11th January 2017, 10:42 PM

I must admit, I'm more of a Car SOS fan - old, I know, but I love the combination of them -
(a) wanting perfection and
(b) the human interest angle.

Great TV - works for me every time.

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 12th January 2017, 06:43 PM

Car SOS is great and they're not all old

I'm sure Edd and Mike will get approached by a Channel, or maybe go back to 'Auto Trader'
Old 12th January 2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer simpson View Post
Car SOS is great
I kind of find it hypnotic and the cars they restore are usually quite interesting, but the structure of the show I'm finding quite tedious and formulaic.
Well, not all of it; Fuzz Townshend and his skills and comments I enjoy, but Tim Shaw is really starting to annoy me.
And the peripheral experts they bring in for specific problems are good too; I was particularly interested in the "stitch welding" process for example.

But so much is tedious. Especially the fake bargaining and the "shock horror!" visit of the family at the point when the vehicle is at its most disassembled stage. Not to mention the overnight rush after they've found more work or the lastminute breakdown just before the "reveal".
Though Tim dressed up as a complete and obvious buffoon at the end is always good for a laugh.
They could vary the structure/formula a bit more and improve the whole thing.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 12th January 2017 at 06:54 PM.
Old 12th January 2017, 07:44 PM

^^Yes I agree.

For example when Tim went to get some struts made for an Astra GTE Mk1, he posed as a YTS student who was doing an apprenticeship that afternoon. He then gets all 4 made for free. Asking for a freebie and giving the company a free plug is more realistic like they do on Cowboy Builders for example
Old 12th January 2017, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
But so much is tedious. Especially the fake bargaining and the "shock horror!" visit of the family at the point when the vehicle is at its most disassembled stage. Not to mention the overnight rush after they've found more work or the lastminute breakdown just before the "reveal".
And don't forget the "you've been Car SOS'd" bit at the end, which is a little cringeworthy and smacks of "My name is Tim, and I've just been Overhauled"...
Which of course is the show it emulates!

...and don't get me started on that Mini Cooper they painted up to look like the Monte Carlo Rally winner (it was beige and the bloke raced it as a beige car, he would have restored it beige... grr!!)

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)

Last edited by 27litres; 12th January 2017 at 08:01 PM.