A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 13th June 2023, 03:32 PM

Yes. You'll need a 17mm allen / hex socket and a very long breaker bar, which you'd need to change the bearing anyway.

Torque on these things is something mad like 200Nm + 180°. I've never managed the 180° though - my 900mm bar is bending before it gets there, but that seems to be sufficient since I don't have any problems with them coming loose. Also they are supposed to be stretch bolts, but I reuse them a couple of times without any problems. Decent bearing kits come with new bolts.

I stick a few wheel bolts in the disc and then the handbrake should hold it enough to loosen the big bolt.
Old 13th June 2023, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Yes. You'll need a 17mm allen / hex socket and a very long breaker bar, which you'd need to change the bearing anyway.
I found out I needed a 17mm, much to my surprise as on my old A8 2.8QS I bought a 19mm specifically for the fronts, and that car was a 2002 model supplied with 20inch rims from factory. Strange?

Anyway, breaker and 17mm hex socket and bolt released with wheel on the ground. lifted with the trusty 'widow maker' and wheels checked for bearing noise and wiggled north to south and east to west. Found the dodgy bearing but not the one my ears thought it was (nearside rear) it was actually offside front!!

There is either something very wrong with my hearing or a shift in the space time continuum, it's nuts. I was convinced (well at first) the sound was coming from the rear.
Audi S8 2002 FE Avus Silver / Extended Red Leather.
Daily Driver: BMW 3 series GT - Just more practical for my camping trips!
Old 13th June 2023, 04:27 PM

Very often the way with wheel bearings. It took ages to figure out which one it was on the TT since all the wheels are so much closer to your head It was only when it got bad enough to make a distinctly different sound when turning right vs left that I worked out where to look.

The original factory bolt for the 20" cars is a 19mm hex, but it is dimensionally identical to the standard bolt for everything else and takes the same torque so the aftermarket ignore it and supply the 17mm. No idea why Audi made a special bolt just for the 20" when its the same CV joint, same thread, same length, and same size head.
Old 21st June 2023, 08:44 PM

Well, changed the offside front. Bearing was worn. New Meyle bearing fitted, 19mm hex drive, nuts torque and managed about another 100 degs rotation. Went for a spin, noise still there. Ears deceiving me.

Sod it. Think I need to change them all.

During the course of changing all the bearings it was found to be the nearside front. I was convinced it was the rear!

And smug points go to MJ. When I first messaged her about the noise issue she said that the front nearside bearings are the first to go, I was convinced otherwise. Note to self - don't bet against MJ
Audi S8 2002 FE Avus Silver / Extended Red Leather.
Daily Driver: BMW 3 series GT - Just more practical for my camping trips!

Last edited by strummagnet; 6th July 2023 at 06:29 PM.