A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > For Sale and Wanted > For Sale and Wanted - Cars

For Sale and Wanted - Cars For the sale of whole cars, Audi or not, working or not. No cross links to other peoples cars please - Use Spotted online instead

Old 5th August 2018, 03:57 PM

Isn’t it normal to vacuum evacuate the system and see if it holds!? It does sound like they were lacking clue, but hopefully a second cheap fix for you too
Old 7th August 2018, 09:31 AM

Yes that would be normal procedure but garages were closed on Sunday and Halfords shops only do filling from a DIY kind of kit from a small bottle.

Anyway dropped car 8am Monday morning at local garage and collected Tuesday morning 8am. They checked all lines, joints and parts that are accessible for signs of UV dye leak, did not find any so either no leaks in any visible places or no dye has been added in previous fill ups. Then did extended time nitrogen pressure test, then vacuum test and after finding no leaks finally charged it up also adding UV dye to make easier to find any leaks in future. Wallet is £64.80 lighter but S4 now has fully working AC. I know I could have had it re-charged cheaper especially with Groupon coupons but these days I have no time to mess a around, wait for booking and drive the distance so for the £30 or so quid I could have saved I chose to save my time.

Saturday night when wife and kids returned from holiday she said she was not impressed with my purchase and said I have wasted money for old 'junk', calmed down a bit when I explained that I got it at reasonable price with a look at selling it at higher price and enjoying car in process for a while and have already fixed biggest flaw - the non working roof. Somehow Sunday she could not wait to get behind wheel and later to go round friend houses to show off. She was also disappointed Monday morning that I have taken car to garage and she could not drive it to work. She took it to work this morning and was picking up colleague who's car had starter motor broken down so I suggested she should seize the opportunity plug it for sale. The answer was : "Sell A6, I want to keep this!". She's becoming addicted to the sound of Mliltek.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 7th August 2018, 10:00 AM

Second cheap fix The noise is addictive for sure, I am glad that it is growing on her
Old 31st August 2018, 09:13 PM

I was going to start a new thread about it but for the sake of continuity I think I will just continue here.

Not so sure about the second cheap fix; I have not tested pressures but it seems like AC already is not as cool as it was after recharging. A least garage put UV dye in so if it is leaking it should be easier to find a leaks if there are any.

The trim bit with sliding cover was hard to find with any breakers either not responding, saying that they do not have it or that they have sold complete interior or it being wrong colour, i finally got it for £40, not cheap but better than £86 from dealer.

Also replaced adjustable height roof compartment in boot as it was broken beyond repair. Got replacement for £30+5.99P&P which was a great price considering dealer price is £450+ but it was not without it's problems. In the end I made one out of 2 and a bit of glue that actually works , looks the part and does not rattle.

Attacked deteriorated headlight covers sanding them down and re-coating with UV protective lacquer. Looks a million bucks better.

Also spent a lot of time on roof. It was not looking bad , just not black enough but it had some moss/lichen in it. I washed it with cleaner, sponge and brush first, looked a lot better first while wet but a lot worse when dried out as mildly soiled areas cleaned up well but others stood out more. Next step pressure whasher, that got rid of most of green stuff, then copper sulphide solution to kill any remaining moss lichen and the a coat of Fabsil water repellent. 2 weeks later any remaining discoloured bits have one and water just rolls off.

Started cleaning leather seats. They did not look too bad to start with but leather were hard and was getting got worse as I was cleaning it. Rears where not too bad but fronts seems to be possibly covered with some kind of sealant in the past which has soaked up lot of dirt. Rears cleaned up fine with Woolite but for the fronts Woolite was removing some stuff but not other so they became more patchy and worse looking. Next step much more intense citrus+alkaline cleaner which did decent job but made already dry and hard leather even dryer and harder. Several coats of conditioner + red dye they are coming up pretty good but just keep up soaking conditioner so will need couple of more goes.

Also replaced battery cove( did I mention Paul put in new battery in the morning I collected? ) , this is cheap from dealer @ ~£8.50 but I just bought one online for £12.50 with delivery to save time and fuel going to dealers.

Valve cover gaskets were delayed in post from Germany but finally got them yesterday and hopefully will replace them tomorrow which should eliminate oil from leaking on exhaust manifolds and causing dreadful stench.

After that it should be pretty much sorted apart from rust on front wings and shone chips. I have put a sale price in window of £4395 to attract potential buyers but have not advertised it anywhere as I want to sort the leather and valve cover gaskets first.

So far I have had 2 interested persons to bu it but no serious bites.

The way it is now I have advertised it for £4395, this will include both front wing rub down, rust repair, repaint and do the front bumper at the same time as well as it's got a lot of stone chip damage. Or £4k as is or £4.8k with new wings + bumper repainting.

I guess Ian is releaved I won it and saved him a lot of graft.

If anybody from forum is interested I am open do discussion but would not deviate much from my £4k/£4.4K/£4.8k price points mentioned earlier

8 history:

Last edited by ainarssems; 1st September 2018 at 10:43 AM.
Old 31st August 2018, 09:33 PM

Other than that car has been absolute blast. I guess season is over now and I will not sell it cheaply so will probably enjoy it till spring when convertible market picks up. While it is almost 200kg heavier than saloon equivalent do to extra steel they have put it floor the centre of gravity is much lower so it corner very well and flat.

8 history:
Old 31st August 2018, 09:58 PM

If I do keep it till spring I am worried I will kill tyres by then and will need to fit another set, they already are showing wear on edges which was not there when I picked it up.

As far as fuel consumption goes it did 28.9mpg on DIS on the run home from Manchester mostly in slow traffic 40-50mph without muchh start /stops. But the local blast brought it down to 12 mpg, while not as good as S8 with 14-16mpg but lot more fun going flat around corners.

8 history:
Old 1st September 2018, 09:22 PM

Sounds like a lot of work, but also sounds very good! I wish I had the time!!!

If you are scrubbing the tyres then I am guessing you are enjoying it

Maybe I will buy it back next year, with new tyres on
Old 2nd September 2018, 02:21 PM
Administrator

Well, as one of the interested parties I'd have to say at that money I'd be looking elsewhere....

On an open auction it fetched a whisker over 3k, and it was a really great advert. The only item on the advert that has been fixed is the roof, but now it seems the AC may turn into something more costly, negating most of the increase in value from the roof fix.

It's also got another owner on the log book and more crucially you've not had it long which means the handfull of folks looking for an S4, and are willing to buy a high miler will run away presuming it's got hidden engine issues.

In short, I think you should hang on to it. The seasons actually don't make much difference to convertible sales in my experience.

The Daily Town Car - 2023 Tesla Model Y Performance. Black with Black. Giant ipad screen, huge sunroof, 4 wheel drive, Tow bar, lots of ooomph and made in China, so actually built properly unlike the Californian ones.

The Family Wagon - 2018 Tesla Model X. Black, 7 Seats, Towbar, Homelink, Enhanced Auto pilot with Summon and self park, Heated front seats, CCS Charger upgrade, MCU2 Upgrade, Falconwing Doors, Self opening / closing doors, Netflix, Spotify, toys, Air suspension, alcantara roof + lots of other stuff......

The 17 year old Driver Wagon 2015 Skoda Citigo Monte Carlo. Alloys, Power steering, Aircon, Leccy windows, Sat Nav, bluetooth, central locking, cup holders, 59 whole bhp. Million times better than my first car. Well jealous.....

The First 20 Audis:

2001 D2 4.2 QS Silver, 1997 D2 S8 Silver, 1999 D2 4.2 Silver, 2002 D2 S8 Dolphin Grey,
2003 C5 RS6 Blue, 1998 D2 S8 Black, 2000 D2 4.2 QS/S8 Ming Blue, 2003 D3 4.2 Ming Blue,
2005 B7 S4 Blue, 2006 D3 3.0 Tdi Black, 1999 D2 4.2 Silver, 2003 D3 4.2 LPG Crystal Blue,
2000 D2 S8 Silver, 2007 3.0 Tdi Q7 Black, 2009 B8 S4 Black, 1998 D2 S8 Agate Grey,
2006 D3 4.2 Tdi Blue, 2006 D3 S8, 2007 Q7 3.0 Tdi, 2006 C6 S6,

The Second 20 Audis:

2011 A7 Sline, 2001 A2 1.4 Tdi Black, 2002 A2 1.4 Tdi Silver, 2006 A8 4.2 Tdi Blue,
2007 4.2 Tdi Q7, 2006 S4 Cab Silver, 2010 RS6 Saloon Black , 2007 TT Roadster,
2010 A8 D4 4.2 Silver, 2006 C6 A6 2.7 Tdi Quattro, 2000 D2 4.2 QS/S8 Ming Blue (again), 2008 Q7 4.2 Black,
2009 C6 RS6 Saloon Daytona Grey, 2001 Fully Loaded A2 Tdi, 2006 Avant S6 Black, 2007 VW Caravelle Exec Black (almost an Audi)
2009 TT Roadster Daytona, 2015 Q7 4.2 tdi lava grey, 2002 GmbH D2 demonstrator, 2006 D3 A8 LWB 4.2 Tdi Black

Most Recent Audis:

2001 A2 1.4 Tdi Black, 2007 4.2 FSi Q7 ABT Blue, 2016 S5 Coupe Launch model, 2004 S4 B6 Cabriolet, 2016 Q7 Sline White, 2006 Q7 4.2 FSi Black, 2012 Q7 Sline+ 4.2Tdi White, 2008 Blue Audi S8

Everything Else

1989 Subaru Justy, 1986 Vauxhall Cartlton 2.0 GL, 1985 Vauxhall Carlton 2.2 CDi, 1987 Ford Sierra XR4x4, 1983 Vauxhall Senator, 1985 Vauxhall Senator 3.0i, 1997 Polo Saloon, 1997 Peugeot 306 1.9 TDi, Ford Sierra Sapphire 2000E, 1990 Subaru Justy, 2000 Subaru Impreza, 2000 Subaru Impreza RB5, 1993 Range Rover LSE, 2005 VW Bora, 2003 Skoda Superb, 2003 VW Passat V6 4 Motion, 1996 Peugeot 106, 2000 Range Rover 4.0, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Old 22nd September 2018, 04:58 PM

I appreciate IT's comment but my prices were for everything else sorted including AC, just leaving 3 choices on front wing rust.

As far as I ca see convertible market has slowed down and prices gone down so I will probably keep it until spring.

Had another chat witht garage about AC, they suggested 3 options, put a sealant in the system as they could not see any leaks, fill it with hydrocarbon replacement gas instead of R134a which should slow down leaks they are bigger molecules or they could investigate leaks at evaporator as they cannot see any leaks elsewhere. That's 30+ hrs of labour @£40+Vat just to have a look @ evaporator.

I have had some more fun with the car and it goes beautifully around the corner with the extra weight down low and in the middle of car for floor strengthening. Much better in corners , flatter and less understeer than 3.0 TDI regular A4.

I never had convertible before and it was something I always wanted to try consided MX5, TT and A4 TDI before but I have to say that convertibles are not for me. Too much sun at low spoed and too much wind at high speed, I mean I should have known considering I don't like windows or sunroof open on regular cars when driving, I don't like glass sunroofs and absolutely hate panoramic sunroofs. I understand that I don't exactly help to sell this car here but I am being honest and I do not see myself buying another convertible any time soon. But I do enjoy low centre of gravity and less of front weight bias on the S4 Cab.

8 history:

Last edited by ainarssems; 22nd September 2018 at 05:14 PM.
Old 22nd September 2018, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
30+ hrs of labour @£40+Vat just to have a look @ evaporator.
Is that a typo or is there something extraordinarily complicated about the cabrio?