A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > Other marques

Other marques All non Audi other cars

Old 6th June 2009, 05:19 PM

Default Forgive me..

As I drove the BMW rival to the '8 yesterday (a 1999 version) from Swindon to Leamington. I can't give a proper review as it was pitch black, and it was also ****ing it down with rain. Heres a few things I did pick up on.
The satnav and tv were nowhere near as good as the RNS D in my S8, in terms of ease of use. The Gearbox was super smooth, I think its ZF but this was silky smooth and this car had a good few miles on it! It handles very well, I coudln't believe how it would go exactly where you pointed it, this is a big heavy V8 car but taking it through some familiar roads I had been on with my S8 I couldnt believe how direct the steering was in comparison, its like they had connected it in this car and in my S8 they hadn't! The engine being so far in front of the front axel in the S8 does make a huge diffrence. My one complaint was the armrest with the phone in it kept poking into my arm as I drove along and when going around a roundabout with some speed I did loose it a little, its not a quattro afterall. A good contender and very comfortable, more so than the '8 in the back. Its a new addition to our family fleet, picked it up as it was a bargain and will keep the miles of the other cars, so I will no doubt drive it around now and again, and its not a bad car. Just not not as good as an '8.
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 6th June 2009, 06:46 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

The Librarian has consider your request and after careful thought your request is denied. You are DAMNED for ever!

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 18th August 2009, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh View Post
As I drove the BMW rival to the '8 yesterday (a 1999 version) from Swindon to Leamington. I can't give a proper review as it was pitch black, and it was also ****ing it down with rain. Heres a few things I did pick up on.
The satnav and tv were nowhere near as good as the RNS D in my S8, in terms of ease of use. The Gearbox was super smooth, I think its ZF but this was silky smooth and this car had a good few miles on it! It handles very well, I coudln't believe how it would go exactly where you pointed it, this is a big heavy V8 car but taking it through some familiar roads I had been on with my S8 I couldnt believe how direct the steering was in comparison, its like they had connected it in this car and in my S8 they hadn't! The engine being so far in front of the front axel in the S8 does make a huge diffrence. My one complaint was the armrest with the phone in it kept poking into my arm as I drove along and when going around a roundabout with some speed I did loose it a little, its not a quattro afterall. A good contender and very comfortable, more so than the '8 in the back. Its a new addition to our family fleet, picked it up as it was a bargain and will keep the miles of the other cars, so I will no doubt drive it around now and again, and its not a bad car. Just not not as good as an '8.
I too have gone to the BMW side. I now have a 2004 BMW 745i with an LPG conversion Very pleased so far, more toys than my A8, and that had ALOT!

Though seeing David's new D3 today made me miss mine.... Damn good car...
Old 22nd August 2009, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A8 Doc View Post
I too have gone to the BMW side. I now have a 2004 BMW 745i with an LPG conversion Very pleased so far, more toys than my A8, and that had ALOT!

Though seeing David's new D3 today made me miss mine.... Damn good car...
What are the other toys you speak of that arent on an 8?
'72 Mini Pick up Supercharged 1380
'03 S4 Avant
Old 24th August 2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.L.M.O View Post
What are the other toys you speak of that arent on an 8?
Has ventilated and massage seats, rear electric memory seats that recline, electric rear blinds (in the door and the rear), rear vented and heated seats amongst more things.

All completely unnecessary but nice!

Oh and the 4.4 Litre BMW gets me 4mpg more than the A8 4.2 did.

Don't get me wrong, I would have my old car back in a heartbeat and so would the wife. We miss it like crazy It was a gorgeous example.