A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Transmission

D2 - Transmission Gearboxes, diffs, drive shafts.

Old 11th September 2011, 09:30 AM

Hey guys, I understand the bit about coding the ECU, so it doesn't look for the absent TCU.

Something else just occured to me - how will all this affect the operation of cruise control? Will it simply work as normal? I'm aware I'll have to wire in the clutch pedal cut-out switch, and I'm okay with that. I just wondered if the CC is tied in with the tip tranny?

2006 Audi A8 D3 Quattro Sport 4.2 TDI - Silver, Family Oil Burner.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.5 TDI - Santorin Blue, S8-Powered DTM Race Car Build In Progress.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.8 30V - Pelican Blue, RS4 Widebody, D3 4.2 01E, High-Spec B5 Build In Progress.
Old 11th September 2011, 07:58 PM

H Nollywood, just measure the 01E prop shaft so you can get a rough idea if its longer or shorter than the Auto box prop shaft.
I measured from the point in the picture to the same structure at the other end. Length between these points roughly: 170.5cm
Magnets stick to the shaft tube, so it must be some type of steel.
If you need any other measurements let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Propshaft end.JPG
Views:	376
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	2300  
Old 12th September 2011, 10:24 PM

^^^ Thanks, Goran. That's a great help.

I'm going to get my car on a hoist tomorrow, and take measurements.

1) Measure length of the tip. propshaft.
2) Measure length of the tip tranny, from engine mounting face to prop output flange.
3) Measure length of one of my 01E trannies, from engine mounting face to prop output flange.

Without comparing, I would say the tip will be shorter, so prop will be longer.

2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.5 TDI - Santorin Blue, S8-Powered DTM Race Car Build In Progress.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.8 30V - Pelican Blue, RS4 Widebody, D3 4.2 01E, High-Spec B5 Build In Progress.
Old 15th September 2011, 09:55 AM

I found Tozo's post about his S8 conversion. I think it was a Facelift.

http://forums.quattroworld.com/a8/msgs/12898.phtml
Old 15th September 2011, 12:24 PM

Brilliant. So 5-speed tip is longer than 6-speed 01E, hence the tip propshaft needs to be lengthened.

Tozo also modified the D2 subframe, by adding extra platforms, to accept B5 S4 tranny mounts. If using D2 tranny mounts, subframe won't require any modification. Same frame for tip and manual, the rubber mounts are also the same, and accept D2 01E mounts.

So far, so good.

Old 15th September 2011, 05:54 PM

What are you getting for flywheel and clutch?

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 15th September 2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
What are you getting for flywheel and clutch?
OEM D2 S8 flywheel (8-bolt fitting) and matching clutch.

Old 18th September 2011, 03:32 PM

I have spent a lot of time lately thinking about the best way to implement a 3-pedal box into the current RHD S8 pedal box mounting point.
After a lot of crazy ideas, like moving the brake booster and using the LHD pedal box, or using a thinner brake booster to squeeze into the gap in the chassis, I have decided that the best approach (for me, limited resources etc) is to try and mount a clutch pedal on the existing RHD pedal box with minimum modification. In other words leaving the accelerator pedal and the brake pedal as they are, leaving the brake booster where it is, not cutting the chassis in any way (all customising to be done on the pedal box casting itself).

Looking at both the LHD manual and RHD auto pedal boxes, I realised that there is enough room on the pedal mounting shaft (RHD box) for another pedal on the right side of the brake pedal. The white pedal bearing material would have to be cut down a bit to fit it but it will fit. The question is will there be enough room for the clutch master cylinder and the clutch pedal torsion spring without interfering with the brake pedal?

In the following pictures I will attempt to show that it looks like there is enough room for the clutch master cylinder, and there will be enough room for a custom torsion spring (web research shows this need not be expensive, in the region of
£50). The LHD torsion spring wastes a lot of room for the clutch pedal pivot point as the LHD alumminium clutch pedal is very wide. Using a steel clutch pedal, or the LHD brake pedal as the clutch pedal, would free up a lot of room for a narrower torsion spring maintaining the same number of coils and the same spring constant, that would actually fit between the side of the pedal box and the brake pedal (see pictures). Alternatively, it may be possible to use the LHD aluminim clutch pedal, however due to its width a torsion spring with fewer coils would have to be designed.
If you have a look at Tozo's S8 conversion post you will see that his clutch pedal is a steel type pedal of thin design, not the wide aluminium pedal like in my picture.
Alternatively the LHD brake pedal looks like it can be converted into a clutch pedal without too much modification. It would need a new mounting hole for the clutch master cylinder, and a mounting point machinde out to mount the plastic torsion spring swivel mount (circled red in the picture). Also the actuation mounting of the master cylinder would have to change to a fork type mounting to go either side of the steel clutch pedal. Fortunately it looks like the brake booster fork actuator that attaches to the brake pedal looks ideal for the job, it would just need cutting down to the right length and tapping to screw onto the top of the clutch master cylinder.

The main task would be to weld onto the RHD pedal box a mounting point for the clutch master cylinder and a mounting point for the torsion spring. Luckily one mounting point for the left side of the torsion spring already exists in the form of the protective bracket on the left edge of the RHD pedal box. All that needs doing on this side is to drill / machine out a hole for the left side of the torsion spring.

The right torsion spring mounting and clutch master cylinder platform can be either made from scratch, or cut out from a LHD pedal box and shaped to fit the RHD pedal box.

Also the Brake pedal torsion spring would have to be moved to the right side of the brake pedal, this being the only modification required for the brake pedal.

Another unresolved minor issue is the placement of the hose from clutch master cylinder to slave cylinder. It looks like the A6 hose is a good bet as that car also uses the 01E gearbox. I bought a LHD hose however it looks like this will be too short and of the wrong shape.

Hope this is a useful idea for anyone interested in doing a manual conversion.

*I forgot to mention the clutch safety switch. This can easily be mounted onto the RHD pedal box side bracket using either a custom made piece of aluminium or just chopping off the stock mounting from the LHD casting that mounts all the brake and clutch sensors. Then just bolt or weld onto the RHD pedal box side bracket.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brake pedal as clutch pedal 1.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	2319   Click image for larger version

Name:	brake pedal as clutch pedal.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	2320   Click image for larger version

Name:	clutch pedal.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	2321   Click image for larger version

Name:	clutch pedal too long.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	2322   Click image for larger version

Name:	torsion spring pivot.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	2323   Click image for larger version

Name:	master cylinder.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	2324   Click image for larger version

Name:	torsion spring.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	2325   Click image for larger version

Name:	parts to weld.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	2326  

Last edited by Goran; 18th September 2011 at 04:20 PM.
Old 18th September 2011, 04:10 PM

Similar approach I'm looking at, Goran. I purchased an Audi A4 B5 pedal cluster. I'm removing the section with the clutch pedal and clutch master cylinder, and will have this welded to the D2 box. I'm going to order a second D2 pedal box from A8parts for the purpose of this mod, as I want to drive my car right up to conversion time.

Old 19th September 2011, 03:41 PM

TozoM8 has been very helpful, he made a custom clutch pedal himself from steel. I dont think there is a stock steel LHD clutch pedal. I'm going to go ahead an use the LHD brake pedal and modify it to connect to the clutch master cylinder either with the brake booster clevis, or by welding the steel bolt from the aluminium clutch pedal onto the LHD brake pedal and mount the master cylinder to the right side of the cluch pedal.
The LHD brake pedal is alredy usefully curved off towards the brake pedal with just the right separation.