A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 22nd July 2020, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan_the_Librarian View Post
The only issues you will have with the C5 RS6 rears is the Handbrake cable. You will need the cables from a LWB D2 A8. They are pretty rare. Maybe Audi heritage?
Good to know. Thanks for the info

Anyone have the part number for LWB D2 handbrake cables?

Does the LWB VW Phaeton have a mechanical e-brake or is it electrical?

What about the very early model year D3 LWB e-brake?
Old 22nd July 2020, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audifan View Post
Anyone have the part number for LWB D2 handbrake cables?
4D0609721N (left) and 4D0609722M (right).

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 22nd July 2020, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
4D0609721N (left) and 4D0609722M (right).
Thanks. Good thing I'm not in a hurry on this and have some time to find them.

Another question. Why are the C5 RS6 discs so expensive as they are not 2 piece rotors so why the high price?

Last edited by Audifan; 22nd July 2020 at 10:25 PM.
Old 22nd July 2020, 10:45 PM

They are 2-piece rotors, just staked together rather than bolted like the RS4.

Weights from memory:

RS4 - 5.5Kg
RS6 - 6.5Kg
A8 - 14Kg!!
Old 22nd July 2020, 11:03 PM

Interesting.

Those weights are for the front rotors? Either way that's a huge weight savings between the A8 and RS6 rotors. The B7 RS4 rotors have a very low rotor hat offset vs. the C5 RS6 rotors correct? So the RS6 rotors will be easier to deal with then the B7 RS4 rotors?

Is there a difference between the front B7 RS4 calipers and the front C5 RS6 calipers?

Last edited by Audifan; 22nd July 2020 at 11:09 PM.
Old 23rd July 2020, 09:29 AM

Yes, the B7 rotors are almost flat, whereas the C5 has about 6mm more offset iirc. That's all down to the C5 RS6 having more offset on the hub as it uses D2 wheel hubs (which sit 6mm further out than B5 / C5 A models, so the disc is different to accommodate that. The B7 I suspect uses the same upright geometry but the A wheel hubs.

I haven't had the two calipers side by side to compare. The part numbers are very close, and from pictures they appear to be the same.

The conversion I did involved removing the 90 degree adapter plate which comes stock on the RS calipers, and then fabricating the flat plate to maintain the radial mounting. I suspect it may be possible to retain the adapter and use A8 uprights with axial mounting, although it may need some spacers and / or A wheel hubs. I was to find that out this year until corona messed everything up.
Old 23rd July 2020, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Weights from memory:

RS4 - 5.5Kg
RS6 - 6.5Kg
A8 - 14Kg!!
Referring back to earlier comments does the increased mass of the A8 versions improve heat dissipation so reduce brake fade and other issues?
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 23rd July 2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Referring back to earlier comments does the increased mass of the A8 versions improve heat dissipation so reduce brake fade and other issues?
No, bigger mass can absorb more energy so takes more time/longer braking to heat up by the same amount of degrees but it also takes longer to dissipate it as it holds more energy, it may be better for single braking episode but not for several successive occasions like track use. Dissipation is more related to airflow and surface area.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 24th July 2020, 12:23 AM

Thanks for all the great info everyone

This is my dumb question of the day. I'm guessing the C5 RS6 calipers are made from aluminum?
Old 24th July 2020, 08:32 AM

Yes. All the Brembo multi-piston calipers are aluminium. The D2 S8 and RS versions are split calipers meaning they are two halves bolted together. The Porsche 17z and 18z are monoblocks so a single casting (hence a lot lighter but also more expensive to make).

Many of the Audi sliding calipers are a combination of aluminium and steel. The HP2 on later D2s for example has an aluminium piston housing but steel slider and pad carrier. I think the D3 360s are mostly aluminium too.