A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 28th January 2018, 11:07 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Great

What was the outcome with the obsolete hose Brian? Did you manage to get one made?
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 28th January 2018, 04:06 PM

Yeah think he went to Pirtek Mark

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 29th January 2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
Surely, Dezzy, anything more complicated than a 1930s Ford tractor would look like "Alien Technology" to someone in the west country??
Missed that, yeah you say that but there are plenty of tractors going around with "farmer repairs" to their hydraulics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by briang9 View Post

Great it's sorted.

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 31st January 2018, 11:31 AM

I got bitten by the power steering hose too on Saturday. Luckily I wasn't far from home.
It started as a faint buzzing, increasing to a whining noise.
When I parked at home I could see oil dripping under the car and there was only a little bit left at the bottom of the reservoir.
I had a feel around and can feel that rubber has definitely split on one of the hoses but not sure which, delivery or return.

I am glad Mikki posted about Pritek, I was going to go to them, but now thinking its not worth it if they can't replicate the original hose.
The price of replacements from Audi is truly shocking. I think the dealer said £390+VAT unless I misheard?

Last edited by Goran; 31st January 2018 at 11:35 AM.
Old 31st January 2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran View Post
The price of replacements from Audi is truly shocking. I think the dealer said £390+VAT unless I misheard?
Sounds about right. I think I paid close to £700 for all 3 hoses. I'm guessing the price rise is inversely proportional to the amount of stock they have left.

Hope you get it sorted!

Cars Owned:
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 31st January 2018, 03:55 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by briang9 View Post

Was it a stock item or a special, Brian? And did you have to pay silly money?
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 31st January 2018, 03:56 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

I’ve got a slight leak from the hose directly below the reservoir. Is that a special hose?
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 31st January 2018, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Laird View Post
Was it a stock item or a special, Brian? And did you have to pay silly money?
Was made up Jim don't know the cost yet this was the simplest of the three the other 2 were £625 From TPS

Last edited by briang9; 31st January 2018 at 08:43 PM.
Old 31st January 2018, 07:55 PM

D
Quote:
I’ve got a slight leak from the hose directly below the reservoir. Is that a special hose?
Not sure which is which Jim We thought only one of mine was leaking but when stripped down all 3 were pretty poor TBH, might be worth ordering them anyway as they seem to be getting scarce

ETA pics, these are the two from mine which I replaced with genuine ones from TPS the other just seems to be a straightforward piece of rubber pipe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180110_120434[1].jpg
Views:	175
Size:	786.7 KB
ID:	17856   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180110_120442[1].jpg
Views:	187
Size:	521.4 KB
ID:	17857  

Last edited by briang9; 31st January 2018 at 11:08 PM.
Old 31st January 2018, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Is that a short one that goes straight to the pump Jim? If it's the one I'm thinking of I don't think it's super expensive (or at least it wasn't). I had that one replaced a few years before the other 3 hoses because it was leaking slightly at the pump end.

I think the 3 hoses in question all run from the pump to the steering rack (or maybe it's just 2 of them, I'm not sure). I think part of the problem is that they pass through (or very near) the n/s wheel arch so they're a little exposed to the weather and anything the wheel can throw at them. It was under the wheel arch area where my leak started.

Cars Owned: