A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 6th February 2018, 05:26 PM

I was more of an abstract artist Mark.

Is it worth denso taping the pipes if they are in good condition to avoid corrosion etc?
Old 6th February 2018, 09:19 PM

I managed to get a good hose from A8parts and electrolytically de-rusted the main union. Painted it, wrapped it in self-amalgamating tape, and then covered it in adhesive-lined heatshrink. No more mud and water getting in there
Old 6th February 2018, 09:28 PM

I guessed you would be way ahead of me there MJ!
Old 9th February 2018, 01:34 PM

MJ which paint did you use? And which heatshrink?
My pipes have arrived I'm thinking its a good idea to future proof them as much as possible before installing them.
Old 9th February 2018, 03:17 PM

Ronseal No-rust Metal Paint, and then some 4:1 shrink ratio adhesive-lined heatshrink I found on ebay I did all the crimped joints with heatshrink too.
Old 10th February 2018, 10:52 AM

Thanks Mikki!
Do you know the torque settings for the pipe bolts, both delivery return and return pipes please.
My computer which has ElsaWin on it won't start up!
Is it just a bolt on job then re-fill, no complicated procedures to bleed air out?

Thanks!
Old 10th February 2018, 09:11 PM

No idea on torque specs tbh, but I'll have a look later. You can't get a torque wrench on most of the bolts anyway so I just tighten them until they feel right. Make sure you use new sealing washers.

No complicated procedures. Just re-fill and swing the steering from lock to lock until the pump quietens down.
Old 11th February 2018, 11:29 AM

Thanks Mikki!
Good point its so tight in there I wont be able to get a torque wrench in there. I'll just do it by feel.
I ordered all new washers and banjos. Just hope the old ones are not seized up.
Old 11th February 2018, 05:30 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
Just been having alook at my PS hoses to assess their state given MJ's comments about the corrosion issues and their exposure in the wheel arch area. Mine appear in good shape with no corrosion on the sleeve joints/crimps and the rubber appears good too. As a help to others identifying the hoses I produced the diagram below from the on-line parts app suitably annotated with MJs parts ID. (excuse the poor colouring in )
There are two item 8s on the diagram. Should one of them be 15?

And is there a diagram of just where these hoses are - I need to check mine too.
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 11th February 2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Laird View Post
There are two item 8s on the diagram. Should one of them be 15?

And is there a diagram of just where these hoses are - I need to check mine too.
Their are a number of bits labelled as "8" in the diagram but are really just part of the same hose - i.e. the banjo unions at either end with the associated metal pipe which is crimped to the main rubber hose. One of the banjos is diagramatically separared from the hose labelled "8" as it is the same end piece as for the V6 (two part) hose, item 7. I think in MJs case, it was the union in the V6 hose which was a particular problem.

You need to remove the belly pan/undertray and you find the PS pump with all the hoses in the front wheel well area which is where the corriosion etc happens apparently.