A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Transmission

D2 - Transmission Gearboxes, diffs, drive shafts.

Old 30th November 2019, 01:44 PM

Default Quattro and MOT brake test.....2WD???

The 8 went in for its annual MOT today - another pass .

I never normally pay much attention during the MOT test and just let them get on with it, but today when they were doing the brake test I noticed that the rear wheels were not moving when the fronts were on the rollers, and vice versa when the rears were on the rollers.

Is this normal? Shouldn’t the other set of wheels not on the rollers try and jump the car forward?

I mentioned it to the tester and he said it’s normal. Shouldn't they raise a 4WD car? Surely it’s not good for the transmission?

1988 E30 Coupe - Royalblau Metallic

2003 S4 Avant - Light Silver Mettalic

2016 S5 Coupe Black Edition - Ibis White

Old 30th November 2019, 02:02 PM

Usually with four wheel drive cars, the tester will select a mode on the brake tester that rotates the wheels on each axle in opposite directions. This prevents the axle 'winding up' the centre diff and the wheels not in the rollers

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 30th November 2019, 04:44 PM

Thanks Adrian. I guess they wound up my diff today

Hopefully there’s no long term damage.

1988 E30 Coupe - Royalblau Metallic

2003 S4 Avant - Light Silver Mettalic

2016 S5 Coupe Black Edition - Ibis White

Old 30th November 2019, 04:50 PM

My tester used to drive my D2 down the lane to test the brakes as they couldn’t do 4wd on the machine
2000 FL D2 4.2 QS - SOLD 2011

Old 30th November 2019, 05:00 PM

Proper quattro with a torsen diff is absolutely fine on 2wd brake rollers as the torsen can easily accomodate the small amount of rotation. Haldex though, not so much, as the rear diff clutch would be locked up so it would either destroy the clutch or the diff. That would need the wheels rotating in opposite directions as Adrian described. I've never seen that happen though.

Most MoT testers I know just do a road test, some with a special weight-gyroscope sort of thing to measure the braking force, - my current tester particularly as he had to pay for a new diff on a TT quattro when they first came out!
Old 30th November 2019, 10:27 PM

Similar to MJ's reply I think.

My tester puts a pendulum type of device in the passenger foot well and then goes for a test drive.
Old 1st December 2019, 10:11 AM

You don’t generally notice the contra-rotating wheels unless you’re in a position to see both sides of the car at the same time while testing that axle.

My tester showed me it running in that mode before applying the brakes

It’s a common feature (my dad used to sell roller brake testers 25+ years ago)

If garages don’t have the appropriate mode they should use a Tapley meter on the road, as mentioned earlier

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 1st December 2019, 10:36 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

I've never really given this any thought before. In my 15+ years of owning AWD 8s, all my MOTs have been done on a standard 2WD brake tester. Never had any issues as a result.

Also, if all the wheels are free turn (such as when the car is on a lift), I understand why turning the wheels by hand will result in wheels turning in opposite directions, due the way diffs work. However, I don't understand why it would be necessary to have them turning in opposite directions on a brake tester. After all, they turn the same way on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
If garages don’t have the appropriate mode they should use a Tapley meter on the road, as mentioned earlier
But that would surely only test the braking efficiency as a whole, not the individual braking efficiency at each wheel? In my experience, conventional brake testers often highlight potentially dangerous issues with a single caliper.
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 1st December 2019, 01:22 PM

Inertia Tester is recommended by the Ministry for 4 wheel drive if the Test Centre does not have a 4 wheel roller.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 1st December 2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
Also, if all the wheels are free turn (such as when the car is on a lift), I understand why turning the wheels by hand will result in wheels turning in opposite directions, due the way diffs work. However, I don't understand why it would be necessary to have them turning in opposite directions on a brake tester. After all, they turn the same way on the road.
Because turning the wheels in opposite directions will result in zero rotation of the output shaft of the diff. Turning the wheels in the same direction results in the output of the diff turning. With Torsen it makes no difference as the geared centre diff will just be driven by one axle instead of the engine. No big deal for a short time. Something with a viscous centre diff (Subaru?) would probably also be fine.

Think of a TT though, where the rear wheels are directly coupled to the front wheels by way of a clutch pack, or indeed a Land Rover where they are directly coupled by the transfer box. If you turn one axle forwards the output from that diff must turn the other axle forwards. If that other axle is on the ground something has to give. In a TT the clutch pack breaks - what happened to my MoT guy. I expect a Landy would either drive off the rollers, stall them, or just lose traction.