A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Body and Exterior

D2 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 21st January 2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Even though I know how it works, its still slightly magical that something I designed on my computer can then be a real object on the other side of the planet a short while later
When I showed this thread, and your part that I printed, to my partner, and pointed out the timeline from you sending the part to me and the subsequent print completion, her remark to me was ..."that's just like teleportation!"

And she is right to a degree - you could not courier a part as quickly, even in the same city usually. That is assuming that the part is still available to buy and not NLA.

It is entirely possible that you could conceive a design that did not exist in the world and yet have someone on the other side of the planet holding the realised conception in their hand in less than an hours time, such is the wonder of modern technology!

When I was a boy I remember watching Lost In Space and being well impressed at the magical machine that you simply pressed a button to select your desired object and Voila! the door to the machine was opened and there was your desired item....reality is approaching this idea.

One day we may not even have to go shopping, or to the hardware store - we will simply print our own screws, nails, and what-nots. Look! We are doing it already!

Quote:
It looks like it fitted quite well too. I'd definitely glue that design to make it weather-tight, but that might not matter in some parts of Australia I guess? I need to get my machines printing TPU now!
It fits like a glove! Yes, gluing it definitely makes sense. I suppose that a good deal of water might flow past there if it was raining hard for an extended period.
Old 22nd January 2020, 03:12 AM

Quote:
I'd definitely glue that design to make it weather-tight, but that might not matter in some parts of Australia I guess?
Ha!
It still rains here Michaela!
Quite heavily this past week too (which hopefully put the brakes on the Victorian bushfires a bit).
Pity NSW isn't getting similar downfalls...

So with the glue, you mentioned polyurethane (which would have better adhesive qualities than silicone), so by that, do you mean Sikaflex?

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)
Old 22nd January 2020, 08:09 AM

I confess all I know about Australian weather is that it doesn't rain much on Marty and Moog I think they are in NSW?

Yes, Sikaflex. The biggest problem with those types of adhesives is that you only need 5g of a 400g tube. I can't find any in small containers, apart from one brand of marine sealant which is more expensive for 200g than for 400g If I start production of these things I really need to find a way to pack it in to sachets without it starting to cure.
Old 22nd January 2020, 10:55 AM

Sikaflex is only £6.99 at Screwfix for a 300ml tube. Shame to waste most of it though.....
Assuming this is the stuff you need: https://www.screwfix.com/p/sika-sika...ck-300ml/79299
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 22nd January 2020, 01:12 PM

Marty and Moog are in Sydney.
They hide in their workshop whenever it's raining!

Skid Factory is in Noosa, on the Sunshine Coast, north of Brisbane. It's tropical up there.

Melbourne actually gets a similar average rainfall to London, but we tend to get heavier more concentrated bursts, particularly in the warmer months! Our winters are pretty wet. Our Summers and Autums are fantastic, usually (bit weird this year, it's raining as I type this!).

Sydney gets significantly more rain (nearly double), but they'll claim their weather is better!

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)

Last edited by 27litres; 22nd January 2020 at 01:15 PM.
Old 22nd January 2020, 07:57 PM
Banned

MikkiJayne for life! getting us exactly whats needed!
Old 22nd April 2020, 05:32 PM

I'm nearly ready for production with these

The final version is a single-piece with a V-shaped tongue and groove that locks together once it's in the hole - no glue or sealant needed.

I experimented with a bunch of different flexible filaments to find the most suitable, with pleasingly serendipitous sample colours from the suppliers

Fitted

I'm just waiting on a roll of the chosen filament to turn up now, then I can start printing the first batch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	622
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	23162   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	624
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	23163   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	601
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	23164   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	623
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	23165   Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	605
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	23166   Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	554
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	23167  
Old 22nd April 2020, 06:46 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Brilliant Michaela! I trust that I’m on your waiting list?
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 22nd April 2020, 06:50 PM

Quote:
The final version is a single-piece with a V-shaped tongue and groove that locks together once it's in the hole - no glue or sealant needed.

Brilliant. Even comes with fitting instructions.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 22nd April 2020, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
Brilliant. Even comes with fitting instructions.
It should say "If you can read this, you're now trapped inside the rear quarter panel"