A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Lights

D3 - Lights Headlights, xenons, foglights. Everything outside the car that glows

Old 8th November 2022, 12:42 PM

Default Weird Rear Light Situation

Hi All, looking for some advice.

The previous owner of my car had the rear lights modified to remove the dead LED boards and replace them with sockets/LED bulbs. Long story short, the red outer lens fell off one, I bought two new (facelift) units but when I went to fit them, the harness doesn't match the lights. The weird thing is, the harness doesn't match the old non-facelift lights either (images attached). Has someone changed the plug on the harness at some point? I've ordered pig tails for the new lights, is there a wiring diagram available somewhere for these?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG20221107160734.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	28953   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG20221107160728.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	28954   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG20221107160725.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	28955  
Old 8th November 2022, 01:53 PM

You don't mention whether these are the outer or inner light clusters on the rear. For the outer ones, the connector on the cluster should be a 6-pin one, part number 3B0973813, with the corresponding connector on the wiring loom being part number 1J0973713. For the inner ones, the connector on the cluster should be a 8-pin one, part number 3B0972734, with the corresponding connector on the wiring loom being part number 3B0972724.

Since you're new to the forum, it's worth introducing yourself in the Introductions section, and also update your location and car details as it helps to know exactly what model/spec you're referring to.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 8th November 2022, 02:26 PM

Thanks for the reply, these are the outer lights. I haven't had the inners out yet.

The car is '06 A8 L 4.2 TDi

So would someone have modified those in the past? I'm stumped as so why someone would change the plug on the harness just to then have to adapt the original lights to fit.
Old 8th November 2022, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammmy View Post
So would someone have modified those in the past? I'm stumped as so why someone would change the plug on the harness just to then have to adapt the original lights to fit.
It does appear so based on what the parts catalogue states they should be, but just as stumped as to why they would change the plug... or did they change the plug on the harness to fit the plug that came with the new internals that they fitted? The only saving grace is that at least they are proper sealed connectors.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 9th November 2022, 09:45 AM

In the original post, there's a picture of the back of the light, they just attached the wires to the pins in the original socket and then potted them in place with silicone. Makes no sense.

I've ordered some pig tails and found a wiring diagram. Just need to identify the pin numbering on the new plug and I should be able to sort it.
Old 15th November 2022, 09:58 PM

Thanks for the part number, those pigtails worked. Outer lights have been replaced, just waiting for the inners to arrive now. Hopefully those plugs haven't been hacked up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG20221114174930.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	316.5 KB
ID:	29010   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG20221114174939.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	261.0 KB
ID:	29011  
Old 18th November 2022, 10:46 AM

Got the inners in. Really struggled to get a decent alignment though.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG20221117191630.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	349.7 KB
ID:	29012