A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior Electrics

D2 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 13th February 2011, 11:45 PM
martincieslak1

Default No check engine light (MIL) at all.... normal?

Hi, I noticed that my check engine does not come on ''test function'' when I turn the car ON, so I removed the cluster to check the bulb and in the check engine light hole, there was a little factory sticker instead of a bulb (as if there was never a bulb put in). I put in a bulb but nothing happens...

Check engine codes work with vag-com and even with generic OBD2 readers. (checked my codes many times).

It's a Canadian spec early 1997..

Is that normal ? Do early 1997s have no check engine light?

thanks

A8 1997 4.2l quattro.
Old 14th February 2011, 04:42 PM

On the 2 1997 UK cars I have checked it was the same- no bulb and sticker. Both were giving error on Vagcom that bulb is open or short circuit, have put bulbs in both and they do function properly. No Idea why they have not put them in at factory.
Old 19th February 2011, 12:13 AM
martincieslak1

Yea I put in a bulb and it works fine now.. but I put in bulbs in the other lights, but I don't know what the ''CAT'' and ''immobilizer'' lights are supposed to do, or when they're supposed to be on. Any ideas ?
Old 9th March 2011, 12:54 PM

The immobilizer light should come on when you switch on and the go out shortly after, if it then starts to flash then the enging will not start well not for longer that a second ish.

I’ve only had the CAT light flash when i had a multi cylinder misfire and unburnt fuel gets dumped out the exhaust.