A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 30th October 2012, 11:24 AM

Default hesitancy under load - 2000rpm

No codes showing on vag com.

1997/8 s8, 32v.

Road speed 40mph, rpm 2000 ish, constant partial throttle.

Happens most often on a steep uphill section at a 40mph limit ten miles into my journey to work. Constant speed it's normal then when I ask it to accelerate with a small amount of extra throttle, not enough to initiate kick down, not much acceleration happens. The engine note does something weird. It alternates from normal (brum) to not (der). The cycle goes like this "brum, der, brum, der, brum, der". The cycle rate is about half a second. Then it pulls through that part of the rev range and and pulls cleanly again. It's done it since I've had the car but may be getting a little worse or more noticable after the car sat idle at the body shop for FOUR weeks.
As I said no codes on Vagcom, it starts first turn, it's had new plugs and been serviced to Audi's schedule, including a fuel filter change. Fuel level in tank does not affect it, full or on the last quarter makes no odds.

No misfires on vag com so I'm thinking ignition amplifier?

An outside possibility of fuel pump issues? Injectors? (please not that, messy and expensive)

Any thoughts folks?

Bill

"Being in touch with your feminine side" - The ability to, in the 30 seconds following a major accident, obtain your wifes approval for replacing your big german car with another "because otherwise we'd be dead".

See also sulking for two years until she finally allows you to get another purely on the basis of your current one being the wrong colour.
Old 30th October 2012, 01:33 PM

Do a log for misfires, knock control, lambda feedback and trim, airflow at the circumstances when it happens. Best to do one block at the time to get better sampling rates.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 16th August 2014, 05:07 PM

Default I found it!!!!

After two years I finally found what the hell this was.

The car came back from service running like crap, refusing to idle and being a pig. Normally it comes back running sweetly then after a while the above described problem would return.

it transpires from my investigations this afternoon that there is a split where the hose clamp grips the air intake pipe next to the throttle body. When the vehicle was serviced previously the wiggling involved shifted the pipe so it sealed again until coming loose a few weeks later. Until I find the part umber on Monday and beat the grease monkey properly for not spotting it and returning my car running like crap, I have bodged it with gaffer tape and other evil things. At least I now have a properly responding s8.

I have been waiting for this thing to die for three years and it still keeps going.

Bill

"Being in touch with your feminine side" - The ability to, in the 30 seconds following a major accident, obtain your wifes approval for replacing your big german car with another "because otherwise we'd be dead".

See also sulking for two years until she finally allows you to get another purely on the basis of your current one being the wrong colour.