A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > IT, AV and other Tech

IT, AV and other Tech All computing, home cinema and technology that isnt car related

Old 29th November 2017, 11:26 AM

Default Or use a Tesla instead?

Never thought I'd contribute to this thread, but these Teslas get everywhere

https://electrek.co/2017/11/29/tesla...ower/?pushup=1

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 29th November 2017, 11:46 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

haha! Well that's different!

I thought you may have been posting one of the many recent news articles about the Bitcoin and Musk rumours ...
https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...rious-inventor
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 29th November 2017, 02:18 PM

For a mainstream media article, I thought this was a surprising well-informed and well written piece:

Bitcoin has broken the $10,000 barrier – and this run can go further
Link: https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-frenzy-bubble

Quote:
Let me tell you something all bitcoin’s advocates have in common. They have invested. They have been persuaded by the story. They have used the technology and are familiar with it. They are talking their own book.

Its critics, meanwhile, have almost invariably not invested. Often they are cross with themselves for missing the opportunity. Most importantly of all, they have not experimented with the tech.

That’s what people don’t get. Bitcoin is a tech. Those who use it, love it. Those who don’t, dismiss it. It’s like parents not getting Snapchat. Using the tech creates the converts. Almost every criticism you will hear, from the claim that governments will shut it down to JP Morgan’s chief executive, Jamie Dimon, saying it’s “a fraud”, just shows a lack of familiarity with the tech.

Critics tell you bitcoin relies on greater-fool theory – people only buy it because they think they’ll be able to sell it to somebody else at a higher price. But any kind of trading works on that basis. Who is the greater fool? The guy who participates in the greatest investment mania any of us will ever see in our lifetimes? Or the guy who misses out?

Cars Owned:
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 30th November 2017, 12:30 AM

This appears to have put a bit of a spanner in the works:
https://thenextweb.com/hardfork/2017...nsaction-info/

Coinbase shows BTC, ETH and LTC all took a big hit at 19:40 - curiously the graphs are all pretty much the same shape today, which is interesting since usually they seem to be fairly independent of each other.

Is there a way to short cryptocurrency? I'm sure someone got rich from today's shenanigans.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bitcoin.JPG
Views:	393
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	17562  
Old 30th November 2017, 10:37 AM

The IRS/Coinbase thing has been looming for some time now. I don't think it'll have any lasting affect. Coinbase is probably the most popular exchange amongst US citizens but there are plenty of other exchanges. It's a minor bump in the road compared with China's attempted crackdown on ICOs and exchanges, which did little to slow the rise of cryptocurrencies. In fact, in the long-term, it seems that cryptocurrencies are boosted by the actions of governments' attempts to regulate or control them. Attempted regulation seems to just bring about greater awareness and acceptance.

Exchanges are a vulnerable point of attack though, for both hackers and governments because, like banks, most exchanges are presently centralised. However, decentralised exchanges are being developed. Networks such as Ethereum enable virtual applications to run, known as Dapps (Distributed/Decentralised Applications). Using Dapps and Smart Contracts, a completely decentralised exchange would be impossible to control or regulate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Is there a way to short cryptocurrency? I'm sure someone got rich from today's shenanigans.
Using margin trading you mean? I believe a few Exchanges do offer margin trading. People do make a lot of money by buying and selling at the right time but it's risky. You could easily lose a lot too if you mistime it. Personally I think it's better to just buy and hold (or 'HODL!' as the crypto enthusiasts say). As Warren Buffet once said "The stock market is a device for transferring money from the impatient to the patient.". I think that's true of cryptocurrency market places too. I do very little crypto trading but I hold about 30+ different cryptocurrencies. In the space of 2-3 years, my investments combined have increased in value about thirtyfold, and that rate seems to be increasing exponentially.

Cars Owned:

Last edited by moltuae; 30th November 2017 at 10:44 AM.
Old 30th November 2017, 11:29 AM

Hi There,

Looking at Getting an S9 from Bitmain direct as ebay is Stupid prices for not even shipped items.
So got an account. Easy enough. Looking at a PSU too. $1520 + shipping.
UPS $240, DHL $154 but there's a caveat warning that comes up about Custom Delays and potential return if you don't pay custom charges quick.....What have you guys done???
It's a Bitcoin Cash thing, but i've a reasonable account on Bittylicious and should be able to BT that once i've got an amount and a coinomi wallet that should be good for short term stuff (my Ledger is at home and is more storage than general use)

Ta,
Lee

Previous :
1998 S8 PF 4.2 V8 D2 - Gearbox died ~120k
2002 S8 FL 4.2 40v V8 D2 Prins LPG - Engine valves met pistons ~230K

Also :
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l (Post Apocalyptic makeover)
2003 Brabus Smart FourTwo (should sell)
2003 Mazda Rx8 2.3 (might sell)
Old 30th November 2017, 12:09 PM

Usually you only pay the customs charges once it arrives in the UK and it should be approximately the same as VAT (ie about 20% of the value).

I usually choose UPS. What you need to do is watch the tracking info and wait for it to land in the UK. You can only pay the duty once it's in the UK.

If your phone number is included in the delivery instructions, UPS will usually phone you a couple of days before it arrives (just to ask if the item is for business or personal use -- They can't take customs payments at that point).

Confusingly, the tracking info will include the destination airport as a location before it arrives in the UK. This is just a UPS customs activity log and not the actual location. For example, I have an L3+ arriving tomorrow and the tracking info shows this:

Soon after this you should see it moving again (usually via Thailand, India and Germany I think). When it lands at the UK airport, phone UPS with your tracking number on 03457 877 877 to pay the duty. Or just phone them at 8.00am on the morning it's due out for delivery.

If you fail to pay the duty on time, all that will happen is either, they will contact you to let you know the parcel is being held until the duty is paid (sometimes they'll still deliver the cheaper power supply and send you a separate invoice for the duty on that) .... OR, the delivery driver will ask for payment when he turns up at your door, which means you then have to make him wait while you phone UPS with the payment details.

EDIT: You will usually have 2 tracking numbers (one for the PSU and one for the Antminer). Make sure you give both of those to UPS when you phone.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tracking.PNG
Views:	428
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	17563  

Cars Owned:

Last edited by moltuae; 30th November 2017 at 12:15 PM.
Old 30th November 2017, 01:12 PM

You can now pay import duties online for UPS as well and also before it lands in UK. I paid mine while it was still in China, at the moment it is in Dubai presumably swapping rides.

I have only used UPS buying from Bitmain but in the past I have also used DHL for other things without issues and DHL have been accepting online payments for a long time.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 30th November 2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
You can now pay import duties online for UPS as well and also before it lands in UK. I paid mine while it was still in China, at the moment it is in Dubai presumably swapping rides.
Looks like mine's travelling with yours via Dubai too this time. I hope mine has the window seat

When I phoned UPS they told me you can't pay the duty until it arrives in the UK. How/where do you pay online? Just looked and I can't seem to find it.

Cars Owned:

Old 30th November 2017, 01:36 PM

Hi there,

S9 & PSU Order placed.
Coinomi BCH address emailed to my desktop
Bittylicious 1.3BCH order placed.
Paid for by BT.
Coinomi wallet loaded with 1.3BCH
Irritatingly the QR code didn't work, but logging in via my mobile and cutting and pasting did. I *HATE* these addresses, so much potential for a miss-type
~1.27 BCH sent to Bitmain.....though how quite they marry up an anonymous currency with your order i'm a little less sure.
~£1400 worth of virtual manipulation.....It's all a bit seat of the pants, isn't it!

*crosses extremities*

Maybe £3K+ on ebay wasn't such a rip off after all

Lee

edit - Paid email received. MEEEEEEP!

Previous :
1998 S8 PF 4.2 V8 D2 - Gearbox died ~120k
2002 S8 FL 4.2 40v V8 D2 Prins LPG - Engine valves met pistons ~230K

Also :
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l (Post Apocalyptic makeover)
2003 Brabus Smart FourTwo (should sell)
2003 Mazda Rx8 2.3 (might sell)

Last edited by ulfilias; 30th November 2017 at 01:39 PM.