A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 25th July 2020, 02:17 AM

Default Engine vacuum low and SAI issues

Apologies for the long ramble here. Bit of an issue with my SAI system, etc. When I got the car a few weeks ago first thing I did was replaced my bad SAI pump, which is now working as it should near as I can tell. Thing is though, I keep getting the codes for secondary air pump low flow both banks, always both banks. I've checked all the vac lines and replaced most of them for good measure. I've verified the combination valve (selenoid?) is working and both vaccum canisters hold vacuum just fine, fuses and relay are ok. I think though, that the reason my "canisters" (sorry wrong term) aren't opening is that I'm lacking enough engine vacuum to open them? I measured the vacuum on the line that goes to the selenoid valve (combi?) and I'm only reading 3" of vacuum at idle? Pretty sure the guage is ok as I can crank it up nearly to the max just sucking on it. I did a primitive vacuum test upstream on the same line (away from engine) and it seems to be holding vacuum there also. Tho it acts like I'm putting vacuum to a rather large space, takes a while to build up but does hold. Anyone have any idea what could be going on here? I seriously doubt my engine is kaput because well, it's got plenty of power. Also, another clue... I know those front vaccum cans on the front of the engine related to "flaps" were previously closing at idle and open with engine off and the arms moved ok. NOW... they aren't closing at idle, they're just a tiny bit collapsed, each one equally but definitely not closing. So seems like I have a vacuum leak somewhere, but what's confusing is the system going back away from the engine from the selenoid holds vacuum? Kinda lost here, thanks for any ideas.
Old 25th July 2020, 05:04 AM

Got it fixed, was one of those rubber duckies on the front of the engine... the ones for the variable flaps. Had one lying around, no more SAI codes and I got my bottom end torque back too, should have known.
Old 25th July 2020, 07:23 AM

Well done. I always find these kind of faults interesting. A good result.
Old 25th July 2020, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spannerrash View Post
Well done. I always find these kind of faults interesting. A good result.
Thank you, sir. Now the 9 or so other things... mostly electrical niggles. Can't "see" that stuff, really not fond of electrical issues- gotta be smart for that. Guess I'll have to rely on dogged determination instead