A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Body and Exterior

D2 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 28th July 2015, 07:52 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle
Default New Windscreen - bad news!

Well, I got an advisory on my MOT for chips in the windscreen, so I asked my insurance company if they'd replace it. That was fine, just £75 and no impact on my NCB. But it wasn't going to be an Audi screen and had to be fitted by Autoglass.

All the arrangements were brilliant. I made an appointment to get it done at home, they confirmed the time slot and the 'technician' called to say exactly when he'd arrive.

BUT - the screen doesn't fit flush in the top offside corner and they've marked the interior trim on the A pillar (see photos).

A "more experienced technician" is coming again on Friday!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0838[1].jpg
Views:	339
Size:	458.5 KB
ID:	11441   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0840[1].jpg
Views:	336
Size:	708.7 KB
ID:	11442  
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).

Last edited by The_Laird; 28th July 2015 at 07:54 AM.
Old 28th July 2015, 09:31 AM

Oh dear. FWIW I had autoglass replace the screen in my old D2 and it was fine. I've had issues with them for other cars, though - not all of their installation guys are up to to the job.

Hope the 'more experienced technician' sorts the problem!
Old 28th July 2015, 09:36 AM

And hopefully he brings a replacement A pillar cover too as that stuff usually soaks in a bit.

I know.. I know..

Old 28th July 2015, 10:12 AM

Did he walk away from it like that?

They don't remove the old gunk just cut it back, put the new gunk in and drop the glass on top. The nozzle of the gunk has a groove cut into it and that makes the gunk go to a point.

When i first had the 8 my car pass used to wedge in between the screen and the pillar, but after having a new one fitted it won't as the screen is further out than it used to be. But not to that degree.

+1 for the trim panel, i'll be surprised if that stuff will come off.

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 28th July 2015, 11:37 AM

Jim tell the next Autoglass guy he better not scratch the paintwork facing the glass when he takes the screen out again, you don't want any chance of corrosion under there. I heard that's what happened to someone on here.
Old 28th July 2015, 05:13 PM

Only install Audi genuine windscreen and only use people who know what they are doing.

This auto glazing industry is in complete mess. Full of amateurs. Professionals don't work for companies like Autoglass. They work for themselves. I'd advice to avoid Autoglass.

When they do the work watch like a hawk. One untreated scratch and consequences will be dire.
Old 28th July 2015, 05:39 PM

Sorry to hear that Jim. I guess being FE that it wasnt a heated screen? I am surprised they didnt tape the linings off to avoid getting the gunk over it!
Old 28th July 2015, 06:53 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

I hope they're going to compensate you for the damage and inconvenience, or at the very least not charge anything for the new windscreen.
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 29th July 2015, 06:56 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

No. it's not a heated screen and I'm going to phone the insurance company this morning to let them know how unhappy I am about the quality of the work.

One other point - if you look at the photo of the ill-fitting screen, does the rubber look in pretty poor shape too? And should they have replaced that?
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 29th July 2015, 07:42 AM

Yes Jim, that bit of trim is supposed to be replaced but they don't and didn't on mine. They had ordered one in and had it in the workshop but they reused the old one saying that it wasn't damaged when removing.

I'm sure someone posted a Audi process for windscreen and included that trim piece and something to do with spacer blocks too if i remember wrongly.

Bright yellow bus o love.