A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 4th October 2017, 11:14 AM

Michaela,
I am still enjoying the way you use your skills.
Well done.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 4th October 2017, 08:49 PM

Wiper linkage tonight. We decided that now is not the time to re-engineer the linkage as it would delay getting the car finished. Luckily the lovely folks at A8Parts helped out with their last remaining D2 wiper linkage which had the exact piece I needed in good condition to make one good linkage from three bad ones

This is what was wrong with the original:

The passenger side spindle was utterly worn out

and the usual troublesome balljoint was also well past it's best

The linkage from A8Parts had a good link arm (top)

and I had a bunch of spare mechanisms from David which I will use for re-engineering later so managed to use the motor and drive arm from Dean's, one of David's linkages and the link arm from A8parts. All of the spindle arms had one good ball and one bad one. Time to make one with two good ones:

The balls are staked in to the spindle arms like rivets, so grind off the head

and punch the ball out

This is a bad ball removed from a good spindle. I also removed a good ball from a bad spindle.

Heat the good spindle up to expand the hole

Press the good ball in the good arm

Weld it in place

The now-good spindle arm

All the parts ready for reassembly

Balljoint boots

Spindle greased and assembled

Balljoints greased and assembled

Remove the bonnet strut and protect the top of the wing to remove or re-fit the mechanism

Centre in first

Then slide it back in to position

Bolted back in and connected

I'm leaving the cowling off until I get the electrics hooked back up just so I can make sure I got the arm on the motor in exactly the right place before I finish off. Can't do that until the steering column is back in, and I can't do that until its rolling again as I can't open the doors on the lift

Did the propshaft and exhaust too. These are some original cats with custom flexis which we also got from A8Parts. The fitment on aftermarket cats is just nasty, and new ones are prohibitively expensive so these are a good option.

Old 5th October 2017, 02:05 PM

Calipers are back from Bigg Red. They are indeed bigg, and red

Old 5th October 2017, 03:17 PM

Very big, very red and very sexy

A bit too much gloss for my liking tho, but they will look the nuts on the very big very red and very sexy car

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 5th October 2017, 07:06 PM

So that's where they went

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAPqq67F8wY

They were red before they went away but they needed a bit of TLC so they were repainted in the same colour they were when Tony (big t5) had the car.

Coincidentally, Tony nicknamed the car "Big Red" too so I think that name shall stay.

Future work on "Red Dwarf": Fridge, solar sunroof, radio-controlled clock, interior and exterior dimming mirrors, Alcantara headlining/pillars/rear shelf, rear US outer lights, passenger memory seat, rear electric (lumbar and headrest) heated seats, Servotronic.
2002 A8 D2 S8 FE - "Red Dwarf" - Misano Red - Platinum/Silver Interior, PDC, Sat Nav Plus with BOSE and hidden Dension Bluetooth, Multi-changer, Heated Front Seats, Bi-Xenons, FE Wheels, Phone Prep with Nokia 6210, Detachable Towbar, Rear Blinds, S8 plate but no other optional extras
1st Place Winner - A8Parts Annual UK Meet 2018
1st Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2018
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2019
2002 A8L D2 with a factory fitted S8 engine and drivetrain - "Evergreen" - Irish Green Pearl (TBC) - magnolia leather seats with magnolia door cards/door trims, magnolia leather head-lining, extended leather pack 3 (dark green leather dash, upper door cards, steering wheel, lower dash, centre tunnel and rear parcel shelf), factory black external trim (in lieu of chrome), self-levelling suspension, Servotronic, Brembo brakes, "gullideckel" / "man-hole cover" / "pie-plate" 8Jx18 polished 10-hole design wheels typically seen on the W12, Park Distance Control, heated windscreen, multifunction steering wheel, Vavona burl (burr-walnut) wood inserts with cream/magnolia door switch trims, phone preparation to the front with Nokia 6091 phone, phone preparation to the rear with Nokia 6091 phone on the central rear console, third phone preparation in the rear centre console, rear blinds, rear headrest release feature, rear electric heated seats with lumbar and recline function (the rear passenger seat has the facility to move the front passenger seat forward), BOSE audio, Rear Screen Entertainment (RSE) with dual factory fitted Alpine screens, integrated DVD player (under the centre of the rear bench with 4 DVD storage slots) and two remote controls (the controls and inputs for the RSE are in the rear centre console and the screens can operate independently of each other,) factory supplied leather headrest covers to hide the rear screens, rear vanity mirrors (standard A8L), dark green rear wedge footrests with cream piping, front passenger memory seat, dark green floor carpeting and mats – piped in cream, rear slumber pillows for the headrests, integrated fridge with integrated tumblers inside the rear centre headrest bar compartment, solar roof, auto-dimming interior and exterior mirrors, factory driver’s seat fire extinguisher, tire pressure monitoring system, first aid kit, 12 V socket in the boot, TRACKER, derestricted – top speed is 155mph plus
2007 A6 Allroad C6 3.0TDI Quattro - Highland Green (Audi Exclusive Colour) - Cream leather interior with Wood, Advanced MMI, Keyless, Bose, Advanced PDC, Sunroof, Heated Memory Seats, Adaptive Xenons, Adaptive Air Suspension, Servotronic

Previous (went to good homes):
2002 A8 D2 2.8 Quattro Sport - "Big Red" - Tornado Red (Special Order) - Twist Interior, PDC, Passenger Memory Seats, Symphony II with BOSE, Heated Front Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto-dimming Mirrors, 20" FE Wheels, Servotronic Steering
2002 A8 D2 2.8 Quattro Sport - Aqua Blue Pearl - Twist Interior, PDC, Sat Nav Plus with BOSE, Multi-changer, Heated Front Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto-dimming Mirrors, Avus Wheels

Old 5th October 2017, 09:01 PM

Big Red properly kicked my arse tonight, for the first time in this project. Pinch bolt time...

The first one thwarted all normal methods to get it out, so on to the extreme solution.

Cut the head off the bolt at the first arm, and prep a half-washer

Push the half washer in to the slot by the nut - it has to be a tight fit to avoid breaking the strut with what we're about to do next. Yes, I cut the control arms off. They were scrap, and in the way

grease up the thread and stick a couple of chunky washers on the bolt and put the nut back on

The theory at this point is that you start tightening up the nut and the force pulls the remains of the bolt out of the hole. Until tonight this technique had never failed me. This time the bolt snapped in the hole No amount of force in the vice would move it, nor would the air hammer. Time to drill it out.

So, made up a 4mm pilot bushing

and started drilling

once I'd got a good pilot hole started I moved up to a 10mm drill

After the 10mm got a fair way in I put it in the pillar drill to go the rest of the way through. I couldn't get a pic of that since I needed both hands.

This is the stump which remained

2 hours to get one damn bolt out I'm expecting the same with the other side tomorrow.

After that I made a tool to remove ABS sensors. One of Big Red's is bad, and I have two spare on my FE which I'm not using since that's getting alloy struts instead of the depleted uranium 20" versions.

Start with some thick-wall alloy tube

Turn it down to 17.5mm - just smaller than the sensor

Trim to length

Complete

This is how it works

Old 5th October 2017, 09:03 PM

Looking at those calipers it strikes me that calipers are very old school engineering. That's a hefty lump added to the unsprung part of the car, where every few grams saved will improve both ride and performance. There must be a better way.
In fact thinking about it there is... inboard brakes. I wonder why they've not been more widely adopted. Cooling and or packaging perhaps.
Apologies for the thread deviation
Old 5th October 2017, 09:16 PM

The unsprung weight on the 20" cars is just crazy. Not only do they have enormous heavy wheels, but they also have steel uprights which weigh 13Kg each to compound the problem. Add big steel discs and the calipers (these do at least have an alloy piston housing) and you've got the weight of a Polo engine at each corner! Its hardly going to help the vehicle dynamics overcome a quarter ton of engine in front of the front axle.

I think you're right on why inboard discs never caught on. They take up valuable room which could be used for people and things, whereas the space in the wheel is otherwise free.

Last edited by MikkiJayne; 5th October 2017 at 09:48 PM.
Old 5th October 2017, 09:18 PM

Your ingenuity and determination to find solutions to the problems amazes me

Drilling out snapped bolts with a tool to create a perfect guide hole for a larger bit, then creating a mini piston in a very tight spot to push out an ABS sensor! Bravo!
And then doing that when most people are snuggling up on the sofa watching the evening tele

Future work on "Red Dwarf": Fridge, solar sunroof, radio-controlled clock, interior and exterior dimming mirrors, Alcantara headlining/pillars/rear shelf, rear US outer lights, passenger memory seat, rear electric (lumbar and headrest) heated seats, Servotronic.
2002 A8 D2 S8 FE - "Red Dwarf" - Misano Red - Platinum/Silver Interior, PDC, Sat Nav Plus with BOSE and hidden Dension Bluetooth, Multi-changer, Heated Front Seats, Bi-Xenons, FE Wheels, Phone Prep with Nokia 6210, Detachable Towbar, Rear Blinds, S8 plate but no other optional extras
1st Place Winner - A8Parts Annual UK Meet 2018
1st Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2018
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2019
2002 A8L D2 with a factory fitted S8 engine and drivetrain - "Evergreen" - Irish Green Pearl (TBC) - magnolia leather seats with magnolia door cards/door trims, magnolia leather head-lining, extended leather pack 3 (dark green leather dash, upper door cards, steering wheel, lower dash, centre tunnel and rear parcel shelf), factory black external trim (in lieu of chrome), self-levelling suspension, Servotronic, Brembo brakes, "gullideckel" / "man-hole cover" / "pie-plate" 8Jx18 polished 10-hole design wheels typically seen on the W12, Park Distance Control, heated windscreen, multifunction steering wheel, Vavona burl (burr-walnut) wood inserts with cream/magnolia door switch trims, phone preparation to the front with Nokia 6091 phone, phone preparation to the rear with Nokia 6091 phone on the central rear console, third phone preparation in the rear centre console, rear blinds, rear headrest release feature, rear electric heated seats with lumbar and recline function (the rear passenger seat has the facility to move the front passenger seat forward), BOSE audio, Rear Screen Entertainment (RSE) with dual factory fitted Alpine screens, integrated DVD player (under the centre of the rear bench with 4 DVD storage slots) and two remote controls (the controls and inputs for the RSE are in the rear centre console and the screens can operate independently of each other,) factory supplied leather headrest covers to hide the rear screens, rear vanity mirrors (standard A8L), dark green rear wedge footrests with cream piping, front passenger memory seat, dark green floor carpeting and mats – piped in cream, rear slumber pillows for the headrests, integrated fridge with integrated tumblers inside the rear centre headrest bar compartment, solar roof, auto-dimming interior and exterior mirrors, factory driver’s seat fire extinguisher, tire pressure monitoring system, first aid kit, 12 V socket in the boot, TRACKER, derestricted – top speed is 155mph plus
2007 A6 Allroad C6 3.0TDI Quattro - Highland Green (Audi Exclusive Colour) - Cream leather interior with Wood, Advanced MMI, Keyless, Bose, Advanced PDC, Sunroof, Heated Memory Seats, Adaptive Xenons, Adaptive Air Suspension, Servotronic

Previous (went to good homes):
2002 A8 D2 2.8 Quattro Sport - "Big Red" - Tornado Red (Special Order) - Twist Interior, PDC, Passenger Memory Seats, Symphony II with BOSE, Heated Front Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto-dimming Mirrors, 20" FE Wheels, Servotronic Steering
2002 A8 D2 2.8 Quattro Sport - Aqua Blue Pearl - Twist Interior, PDC, Sat Nav Plus with BOSE, Multi-changer, Heated Front Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto-dimming Mirrors, Avus Wheels

Old 6th October 2017, 11:18 AM

MJ your talent is wasted in your day job, your problem solving and engineering is impressive. Put most men to shame.