A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 18th November 2015, 12:40 AM

Default What oil to use?

Since ive had the S8 ive noticed she does like a drink of oil. Its gone from the top of the dipstick to the bottom in 1000 miles.

What grade of oil should i be using? Is there a different grade i can try to see if it stops the appetite?

Chris
Old 18th November 2015, 07:18 AM

They get oil hungry just before they blow up.

Only kidding, have you been hoofing it about? my A can get a little thirsty when being pushed hard. Even the owners manual says they can use up to a litre per 1000 km, and that's from new.

Not sure about any grades to make it less hungry, i personally don't like mixing oils so i'd only top up with what's in there. Lots of threads on here regarding oils.
I use Quantum

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 18th November 2015, 08:00 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

I usually go for a high grade fully synthetic oil when topping up, which I rarely have to do. It uses virtually nothing between services, despite a frequently wide-open throttle. I'm not sure what oil my mechanic uses, but he's instructed to use OEM or equivalent recommended oil only.

One thing I have noticed on this car, and previous 4.2L 8s I've owned, is that they will use any oil that is over mid way on the dipstick much more quickly. Therefore, I check my oil frequently but only when the engine hasn't been run for several hours and I never top up unless the dipstick indicates it is close to minimum (and I never top up to max).
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 18th November 2015, 10:07 AM

What are you using in there now (aside from chip fat )

A 5w/30 will be thinner than a 5w/40 at operating temperature.

Do you have any leaks?

I use Mobil 1 0w/40 and need minor top-ups every 2-3 months to keep it at two-thirds on the dipstick
Old 18th November 2015, 10:07 AM

I must admit i do have a heavy foot. I average between 14-16mpg usually.

I didnt know they could use that much from new!
Old 18th November 2015, 10:36 AM

Seems to be a completely random thing.
Having run D2 S8's since 2002 my oil consumption between services has been essentially nil!

Just one exception on the current model, fairly soon after I bought it, I think because the previous owner hadn't filled it up properly (and I hadn't checked) so the warning light came on during some "spirited" driving.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 18th November 2015, 01:59 PM

How many cars are we talking HP?

Old 18th November 2015, 02:12 PM

Just the two - see my signature.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 18th November 2015, 03:00 PM

Oh ok, so is that random actually 50 / 50 then? or is the second one not using any, you just driving it round with not a lot in it?

I'll stand by what i've read in the owners book "it CAN use up to" not it will. I'm sure driving style comes into it too and how hard you push them. Bouncing off the rev limiter in every gear well 1st-3rd and then pushing in 4th at 150 there is a lot of bluey white smoke pouring out the pipes on mine

Last edited by Dezzy; 18th November 2015 at 03:17 PM. Reason: to change them to then
Old 18th November 2015, 03:15 PM

Sorry, that's not what I meant, I should have been clearer. My "random" observation is based on, over the years, some people saying they use a lot and others (like me) who use none.
And yes I have read about oil consumption potentially being significant so used to check regularly.

I've had my current car nearly 3 years now and, apart from the one-off top-up when I first had it, it's used no oil between services. The previous one I had 11 years and that never needed topping up.
Both have suffered from minor fluid leaks, both engine and transmission oils IIRC but only drips.