A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 22nd June 2018, 08:35 PM

Default Front lower arms... Am I missing something?

So 1 arm on each side of my S8 needs doing, but I reckon it’s probably just as well to do all 4 while I’m there. The tops are all fine.

My quesiton is... Are they really easy to do? It seriously looks like there’s 2/3 bolts to just pop off and on, then wrestle the arm out and new one in. Is it actually really difficult to do or is it as simple as it looks?

Also any advice on where to buy would be appriciated, struggling to find decent quality ones. Except one guy in Poland who appears to be selling the whole front end.

Last edited by B4-Andy; 22nd June 2018 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Left a random 8 on the end.
Old 22nd June 2018, 09:31 PM

They are a bit of a pain tbh, mostly due to the stupid way the rear arm is assembled.

The inner bolt is put in from the rear by the factory so you're supposed to drop the subframe to get to it. What most people do is cut the head of it off and push it in to the subframe, and put the new bolt in backwards from inside the subframe.

The outer balljoint is a complete pig to get loose on the aluminium uprights because its blocked by the CV joint. If you have steel uprights (PF or FL with 20") then a solid whack on the outside of the taper with a hammer is usually enough to pop the joint loose, but that doesn't work on the aluminium ones as they have a steel insert to form the taper. I've not yet found a balljoint splitter that will fit round the chunky uprights and so the best way (I've found) to get them out is to remove the CV joint from the upright so you can get a socket and extension bar square on the nut and then beat it out with a lump hammer. Often the balljoint is seized in the tapered insert so so the insert comes out of the upright with the arm. You then need a bearing puller to get the insert off which you can hammer back in to the strut.

The front arm is relatively straightforward by comparison, but bear in mind its supporting the whole weight of the upright and brake assembly on the suspension strut so when you remove it take care to support the brake disc otherwise it will drop and tear the upper bushes apart. Its also worth doing the ARB links while you're at it, since you have to take them off to get the front arm off anyway.

Lemforder / TRW are OEM, but if you have factory 20" wheels the only option now is Meyle HD as the genuine ones are NLA from TRW.

I have Meyle HD on mine and they're working nicely so far, although I on;y have about 12K on them. Murray's Direct on ebay is has been the vendor of choice for Meyle, although there are a few others now with slightly better pricing. Meyle have an online catalogue so you can find part numbers from that and then put them in to ebay and see who has the best price. The nice thing about Meyle arms is they come with all new hardware which makes everything nicer to reassemble, especially if you've cut the heads off the rear bolts
Old 22nd June 2018, 11:25 PM

Ah, things like the direction of the bolt and the steel taper are thugs you don’t immediately see on a visual inspection so thanks for the info. The only arm that urgently needs done is on of the rear ones. Balljoint separation and cutting bolts off sounds like ball ache. It’s a final edition on 20” with the alu upright.

Thanks for the info, not the 30 minute job I was suspicious of! ��

I'm also assuming if CV is being popped I best order a couple of hub bolts.

Would a puller get the insert off the ball joint?

Last edited by B4-Andy; 22nd June 2018 at 11:36 PM.
Old 23rd June 2018, 08:14 AM

Hi Andy

The upper 4 arms are all Meyle HD and have been on there a number of years, so should indicate how good the quality is by now

One of the arms that’s specific to 20” factory wheels is, I think, only available as an OEM part

Pretty sure I changed the ARB links with OEM parts not that long ago. They need to be angle tightened past an initial torque setting, so I made some paint marks to judge how far to turn them - probably long since rubbed off!

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 23rd June 2018, 10:00 AM

If its Adrian's FE then the front upright should be steel, and as Adrian said, the lower rear arm is specific to the 20" suspension. That, alas, is the obsolete one so Meyle HD is the only option.

Steel uprights do at least make the job a tad easier since you shouldn't have to pull the CV joint.
Old 23rd June 2018, 03:25 PM

Audi love a stretch bolt. Every Audi I have ever worked on had stretch bolts all round the arms so all of the bolts will be replaced as needed. The upright I’m 90% sure wouldn’t hold a magnet? If they are steel and that makes the job easier then that’s fine but I thought the uprights were ally to offset the additional weight in the wheels on the 20”? I may have the wrong end of the stick there!

Old 23rd June 2018, 06:07 PM

It has the late 4 pot Brembos with the caliper mounting bolts going in from the front IIRC (still got a new pair of the bolts here if you need them Andy!), but I've never investigated the material the upright is made from. I'm sure MikkiJayne will be spot on with her advice though

My understanding is that from the factory Audi specced a joint with a bigger ball and socket to cope with the extra shock loading for that one lower arm, when the car left the factory with 20" wheels.

Wasn't aware it was NLA from Audi - I'd hope Meyle HD have caught up by now, but I'd ask TPS to confirm the exact part numbers before committing to any particular source.

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 24th June 2018, 10:00 AM

It is a steel upright, the magnet confirmed that!

Part numbers are an issue here. They appear to be few and far between. The actual arm I need (the rear lower) has no part numbers on it, despite having everything else stamped on it, including an Audi logo. I assume they used the same arm with different bushes for different applications, so the number isn't stamped on it, if it's just been printed instead it's long gone.

The front lower part number 4D0407155N (stamped on side) from the nearside front arm, doesn't seem to be the actual part number I need. I'm assuming again that it's for the arm and not the complete assembly including bushes.

Adrian I might take you up on those bolts, I may also need to strip off and refurb / replace one of these callipers! The bolts would be handy

Old 24th June 2018, 10:11 AM

For the 20" wheel fitment, I think I'll get the following:

4D0 407 151 Q x 2
8E0 407 694 D
8E0 407 693 D

That's according to ETKA anyway. Noted that the arms appear to be TRW so will try find them first then Meyle. Maybe Meyle will be a better shout since you tend to also get the hardware with them.

Will have to think long and hard about removing the shocks and replacing them at the same time, since you are 50% of the way there anyway when doing this arm.

I guess the choice is to buy the shocks and just do them or strip off the arm and realise there's no pressure left in the shocks when moving them around and having to wait on new ones arriving. Maybe pointless thinking about it since they do look very easy to do anyway.

It's a rabbit hole, once you are doing the shocks why wouldn't you also do the top mounts!?

Old 24th June 2018, 10:31 AM

I would not be too worried about pressure being in shocks. It's just nitrogen filled from factory to stop oxidation and foaming of oil when going on rough terrain. Even if nitrogen has escaped shocks will be 95% most of the times so unless there are any signs of oil leakage from shocks they are probably fine. I do have a spare pair of genuine Audi unused front sport shocks for D2. I think they were discontinued around 2012 and not so sure how much aftermarket has to offer so good luck finding some

Edit:

There are some cheap shocks available on e-bay, more tha 50% more then when I bought them but still a lot cheaper than £150/piece when they were last available from audi. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-Audi-...EAAOSwiIxZ-K~c

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure

Last edited by ainarssems; 24th June 2018 at 10:37 AM.