A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Engine Bay

D3 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 12th December 2011, 08:14 AM

Default Self Service

Hi everyone

Just thinking about doing my own basic servicing with genuine Audi parts, can anyone tell me if this is easily possible on D3 4.2 Petrol (53 plate) would I need VAG COM for anything, can I reset the service light. I'm also wondering what the best oil is for the longlife service interval.

Anyone got any ideas?
Old 12th December 2011, 08:30 AM

Self servicing is quite possible as long as you know your way around the engine

I would always use the Audi oil personally, VCDS will reset the svs light It will give you the option for variable or fixed intervals.

Bex

07 Silver D3 A/S8L Quattro S8 front end, Xenons, Bose, Bluetooth, Voice Control, Autodim mirrors, Heated folding mirrors, Double Glazed Windows, Electric Rear & Side Blinds, Black leather Comfort Seats with front memory seats & mirrors, Front & rear heated seats, Interior/Exterior light pack, TV.I.M, AMI, Parking sensors Front & Rear, Air suspension (soon to be lowered), Keyless entry & Start/Stop, 4 zone climate control, Power Boot Open/Close.
Old 12th December 2011, 08:46 AM

Get it off long life unless you do mega miles annually - better to service annually/10k
Old 12th December 2011, 10:42 AM

Why do you say this? what are the cons of long life servicing?
thanks.
Old 12th December 2011, 12:59 PM

longlife service is great for fleet drivers/operators as it extends the service intervals on high annual mileage cars, but the oil is much more expensive to buy and it's not particularly good for the car to leave the oil in there for potentially 2 years at a time.

Better to use a quality synthetic oil and change it annually. You will also find it is more difficult to self-reset the long life service indicator without dealer kit - friend of mine tried doing it on my A6 and it would only reset for 10k/annual.

As cars get older it's also better to give them an annual once-over for any issues with brakes etc rather than having much longer periods before the car gets checked over.
Old 12th December 2011, 01:51 PM

I agree, but use the Longlife stuff and change twice a year (before and after the cold season). You can get the oil cheap if you shop around, such as if you have a local branch of TPS.
Old 12th December 2011, 02:31 PM

I am using Quantum Longlife III 5W30 but changing it annually anyway which is 10-12k on A6 and 3-4k on S8. There are no problems resetting service remainder with VCDS and You can put whatever mileage/period you want till next service. I set it for 15k km and 360 days whichever come first.

I got the Longlife oil for £22.50 for a 5l can so it is not that expensive and can be had cheaper if you buy it in drums. And at least I know I am driving with the oil specified and used by manufacturer.

The problem with longlife oil driving little distances is that while engine is cold some of the fuel does not evaporate but end up on cylinder walls and is drawn down by piston rings and end up in oil diluting it. This is more applicable to diesel engines as diesel then evaporates from oil very slowly once engine is warm but affects petrol engines to some degree as well even if petrol evaporates better. Diesels with DPF are even more affected as in DPF regeneration cycle some of the diesel end up on cylinder walls even on warm engine.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 12th December 2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodeone View Post
Hi everyone

tell me if this is easily possible on D3 4.2 Petrol (53 plate) would I need VAG COM for anything,
It's doable but it's best if you have some mechanical knowledge.

OIL & FILTER.
The filter on the 4.2 petrol is fiddly to change, you need to remove the air box first.
- Undo the large jubilee clip from the MAF to the inlet trunking.
- Release the aux air pump pipe from below the air filter - can be done either when the belly pan has been removed or turning the steering full left, taking a few screws from the wheel arch liner and having a feel around (The clip takes getting used to) but takes longer to type what to do than doing it
- Remove the air box.
- You'll see the top of the filter housing attached to the engine, you will probably have to slightly bend the heatshield to gain access.
- Remove the cover (32mm I think) then swap the filter cover - have a bowl ready so you don't spill too much
- Replace the filter, the O ring on the cover and put the cover back on
- The cover goes to 25nm, so not too tight, it's plastic and will break if you force it too much - it just needs nipping up.
- Oil change can be done 2 ways, remove belly pan and sump plug & washer (replace both as they're cheap) to drain through the sump or through something like a Mityvac.

I use Longlife III, sourced through TPS as it's reasonably priced (though you'll need over 8 litres) but change every 10k. I don't believe in extended intervals but want to use the recommended fluids.

AIR FILTER
Replace that when you put the air box back (refit is reverse of removal as usual) - fiddly first time getting the MAF pipe into the inlet trunking.

PLUGS
Not a fun job as you have to 'unclip' the loom but there is a knack, and you can usually ease the coil packs out without the pulling tool. The back two are a fiddle to get out though as clearance is limited.

REAR BRAKES
You need VAGCOM to wind back / adapt and reset the calipers (procedure on RossTech wiki). Though it is important to remember not to use a clamp (or at the very least be careful) on the caliper as the motor housing on the back is plastic and you don't want to damage that.

FRONT BRAKES
No different procedure to any other type of car

RESET SERVICE INDICATOR
You can reset the service indicator without VAGCOM but it will revert to fixed intervals. VAGCOM is required to set for Longlife

All in an oil, brake fluid and filter change should take no more than 2-3 hours.
Factory: Adaptive lights with coming home function, 19" wheels, Solar Sunroof, Bose, Nav, TV, Paddle shift sports wheel, sports suspension, sports seats, rear seats with electric lumbar adjustment, heated seats and climate all round, ski hatch, int light pack, auto dip/fold mirrors, voice command, cordless phone, wooden gear knob, towbar, power boot lid

After: LPG, AMI with HDD

Pending: DVB-T Tuner & fixing niggles

Last edited by Godders; 12th December 2011 at 03:26 PM.
Old 19th December 2011, 07:36 AM

Just wanted to say thanks for all the info from everyone, will give this a go early in the new year.
Merry Christmas
Old 19th December 2011, 07:54 PM

Agree on more regular service intervals. But still use the Quantum longlife stuff.