A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Engine Bay

D3 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 28th September 2014, 04:26 PM

Default Glow Plug Light Flashing

Folks, my wife was driving my car earlier and it went into limp mode and the glow plug light started flashing. No white smoke or anything I believe.

I appreciate I need to get it diagnosed but can anyone tell me what the possibilities are that it could be?

Last night I had the power steering hoses off to replace the clips. The fluid was drained and re-filled. We also disconnect the turbo pipe and reconnected it straight away. I drive the car home after and it was 100%. I really don't think either of these could have caused today's occurence, but it's just coincidence.
Old 28th September 2014, 05:20 PM

Glow plug light could be just about anything from a faulty glow plug, through to the turbo pressure, to DPF failure. Really needs a plug in to start guessing.

I know.. I know..

Old 28th September 2014, 05:28 PM

Ok, cheers. None of them would be too serious would they?!

Also I assume it's best not to drive it the 30mins there?
Old 28th September 2014, 05:55 PM

I'd do a quick visual check.. 30 mins should be OK if it drives fine outside of limp mode. Though if you have RAC/AA with home start, then worth getting them out.

I know.. I know..

Old 28th September 2014, 06:26 PM

Does the fault clear when you restart the car? Does it come back when you load the engine (foot down or carrying a load)?

You may not have tightened the clip holding the turbo pipe on properly and so have a leak. The car will try to compensate for this and either under or over boost depending on how consistent the air leak is (if the pipe is oily in the inside it may seal intermittently)

2004 A8 3.0 TDI Sport Brilliant Black
Came with: Black Valcona/Alcantara Leather, KESSY, rear blind, flappy paddle gear change, Phone Prep, TV
Added:Bluetooth, AMI, Hybrid TV, Parking plus, Ski hatch, towbar, DAB, Umbrella Holder, Reversing camera, Auto lights, Wheel refurb
Things to fix: Turbo fault, power drain
Old 28th September 2014, 07:22 PM

Flashing Glowplug means that there is a fault. Could be any number of powertrain faults.
Steady engine symbol means there is an (legally regulated) emissions related fault.
Old 28th September 2014, 08:38 PM

Some developments!

I removed the engine cover to see if anything obvious had come off and noticed the connector on the turbo was loose. When I first had the car in with Audi for a once over they said the connector on the turbo side was broken.

Today it was loose and there appeared to be a bit of melted plastic round the clips. I cleared the plastic away and cable tied the connector on. Started the car and the glow plug light had gone off. Took it for a spin and limp mode had gone and the turbo was working. Engine light remained but perhaps it's because a fault was logged?

I had a good look at the turbo and from what I can see the half with the electrical connection appears to seperate from the rest of the unit. It has a different part number too.

Is it possible to replace just the electrical bit? I'd rather get this sorted and not have a temporary fix with cable ties!
Old 28th September 2014, 08:39 PM

Some photos below;

Old 28th September 2014, 08:41 PM

Old 28th September 2014, 08:55 PM

Lol, from what I can see the "electrical part" is actually the actuator! Sound right?