A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Closed Thread

Old 19th June 2020, 12:38 PM

Default S8 D3 v10 engine

Hello everyone just to keep you updated about my beautiful s8 d3...I sold it while ago and I just wanted to say whoever owned this car before... hat's off to you buddy for looking after the engine👍👍👍 (check pictures please)
Glad I sold it
Never again, can't trust anyone, goodbye
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200502_161741.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	696.9 KB
ID:	23498   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200502_161909_1.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	823.9 KB
ID:	23499   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200502_161733.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	684.8 KB
ID:	23500   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191118_124350.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	624.2 KB
ID:	23501  
Old 19th June 2020, 12:51 PM

Was it a forum member's car?
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 19th June 2020, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer simpson View Post
Was it a forum member's car?
Yes it was
Old 19th June 2020, 03:37 PM

That's quite bad, in the last 30 years only ones I have seen with similar buildup are the ones that either had been severely overheated for prolonged period of time (100 miles without coolant ) or where the last record of oil change is 60 50k miles ago.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 19th June 2020, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorman'sA8 View Post
Yes it was
I remember it now and I remember both of the previous owners. If I remember, it even had the manifold replaced. How could this happen? No/low coolant or lack of oil changes?
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 19th June 2020, 08:13 PM

Olive oil for its last change!?

I've only seen something that bad once before, it was a 8 year old car on it's original oil filter - had never been changed!?

I'm guessing that wasn't the case here
Old 20th June 2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorman'sA8 View Post
Hello everyone just to keep you updated about my beautiful s8 d3...I sold it while ago and I just wanted to say whoever owned this car before... hat's off to you buddy for looking after the engine������ (check pictures please)
Glad I sold it
Never again, can't trust anyone, goodbye
Well, isn't that a nice post to read on a Saturday morning!

I suspect that IT will either delete my response to it or delete the entire thread, but if you insist on character assassination, at least have the b*lls to call me out by name.

For those unaware of it, I was the previous owner of the car and was the person who sold it to you. I owned the car for roughly 18 months and only put 5,000 miles on it (and have the spreadsheet to prove it).

Everything that I did to the car was documented here on the forum, as well as a couple of retrofits that weren't documented, including all the negative stuff that happened with the car whilst in my possession.

When I sold you the car, it included a boot full of extra parts and spares for the car. I also specifically asked you for 'one' condition of sale, and that was that should you at any time decide to sell the car, that you would offer it to me first before listing it for sale. I never wanted to sell the car, but with no income and it just sitting around literally for months not being used, it had to go. At no point did you ever contact me saying you were selling it.

Before you picked up the car, I went out of my way to find the easiest and most convenient way for you to get here (checking planes, trains, automobiles, boats and buses), including (finally) bus numbers, where to get them and where to get off. Also, since your purchase, I've gone out of my way to save you money through unnecessary mechanic fees, by contacting the previous owner to me to find out about previous work they had done. One instance is where you told me you were for getting the intake manifold removed in order to check if the flaps inside had been removed. That is something like a 2 hour job just to remove, plus the same to refit, plus any gaskets required. Instead, I contacted the previous owner who had paid the £2,500 for a new one, and was able to confirm with him that the flaps had not been removed (not necessary since it was a new manifold, and good for another 100,000 miles).

Finally, regarding your purchase and subsequent sale of your 'beautiful S8', and one that anyone reading this should be made clearly aware of. You purchased the car for £9,500, which I still consider cheap for the spec of the car. You sold the car for £12,000, because yes, I spotted two ads you had up for it, one on eBay (224007889548) and the other on Pistonheads (both with your new S8CEU plate), but since you never bothered to contact me to say you were selling it, I didn't see the point in contacting you.

One last comment, and something pertaining to the 'looking after the engine' comment. There are a number of people on the NIAOC group who can attest to what the engine is capable of, but since you bought a cheap car with a 'part' service history expecting a FASH, I'm not sure anything would be good enough for you... and you still made money out of it.

Apologies to Ian (as moderator) and to everyone else on the forum about this 'washing my dirty linen in public', but I resent the accusations made about me, and 'taking it offline' doesn't apply as he obvious doesn't want to hear from me. I'll abide by your decision Ian, whatever you decide.

EDIT: It turns out he also unfriended me on Facebook.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds

Last edited by steamship; 20th June 2020 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Facebook comment
Old 20th June 2020, 01:06 PM

I am stunned how you were mistreated, steamship.
And I believe you are absolutely within your rights to set the record straight. If that guy chose to shun you, it is his loss.
Sad that he didn't honor the request and gave you the option to buy it back.
I know how it feels to have to let a car go in dire circumstances, even if you never wanted to

Johannes
_________
Audi S8 -99, Pearlescent, Alcantara/silk napa leather, Burr walnut insert, Alcantara roof lining upper pack
A8 32V engine
-----
Jeep Grand Cherokee -98
Old 20th June 2020, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
I owned the car for roughly 18 months and only put 5,000 miles on it (and have the spreadsheet to prove it).
That mess in the engine happened long before you ever saw the car. That's a decade of cheap or no oil changes by a long-previous owner so to blame you for it Sean is, in my opinion, disingenuous in the extreme.

I wonder if the new owner got to see those pictures before they paid 12K for it...?
Old 20th June 2020, 02:32 PM

I remember it all now, even checked the old advert.

Sean, there's no need to aplogise for your post, you were right to post it and set the record straight. The reason I asked if it was a member's car was because it did look familiar and prior to you buying it, I was very tempted myself.

As MJ said, those pictures are not 5000 miles worth of damage, it would take much more than that. Steamship is also not the person to pull the wool over your eyes either.

I can understand the OP was not impressed when they saw the condition of the oil etc but it goes back further than the previous owner.

Sean should have been contacted and it kept offline as I know the conversation could easily of been resolved off the forum. The buy back condition would leave me really annoyed (in Sean's case) as it was a condition of the sale and also would have been an easy way to sell the car back but not for the price the seller wanted.
Closed Thread