A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > Our Other Audi Friends > A6/S6/RS6 C6

A6/S6/RS6 C6 2004-2011

Old 22nd May 2012, 11:01 PM

Default Particulate Filter

Friend has just taken his A6 2.0L TDi into the garage today as last week a light appeared on his dash, then 60 miles later the car went into limp home mode!!

His is a 2007 model and he was told that in 2007 new legislation for emissions was released in the UK and this newer filter had to be fitted to all new diesels.
It has cost him £300 to get it sorted and was told that expect to be back in 12 months time - every 12 months.

Its due to the unit needing to be at a certain temperature to work - clean itself - but the bloke (at an Audi independant) reckons that it never happens.........

Does the A8 3.0 and 4.2 TDi's suffer from this also? And is the guy talking out of his @rse

Cheers

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Triumph Daytona 675 (2017 reg)

===========================

Gone but not forgotten

Ford Focus ST-2 Mk3 (the wifes) (stolen Oct 2023)

1972 T2 Bay Window Camper (Slow)

Audi TT Mk1 225 - now with coil-overs and a 7inch touchscreen infotainment centre

2003 A8 Sport 4.2 (with ACC & LPG) (Feed up with all the issues so passed it on to a forum member)

2000 A8 FL QS 4.2 (with RNS-E - Nice) (Engine poorly so sold on to be brought back by someone who has the time)
Old 22nd May 2012, 11:08 PM

From what I've been told the DPF cleans itself every 150 miles or so by dousing the filter with lots of diesel and burning the crap off it at intensely high temperatures

Nite Blue 3.0L SE Quattro
Old 22nd May 2012, 11:33 PM

maybe needs to try a bit of spirited driving

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ST-enough.html

or tell him to get shot of it and buy a "proper" car powered by "proper" fuel

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 23rd May 2012, 08:37 AM

I think both the 3.0 and 4.2 have DPFs.. They can be coded out as part of a map process.

The issue is people buy diesels and just do the school run in them, so the engine never reaches operating temperature for long, which is what's needed for the DPF cycle to work. Hence why over the last 6-7 years, there's been regular stories of people having to pay for new DPFs when they're not running the car long enough.

30-40 miles every other weekend should be enough as keep it clean. But it needs to really be motorway miles at a decent speed to allow car to warm up and DPF clean process to kick in

I know.. I know..

Old 23rd May 2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcHe View Post
The issue is people buy diesels and just do the school run in them
There'll always be people who don't research or don't understand the issues, but it's been pretty standard advice for a fair while now that diesels are not worth the extra costs of purchase and maintenance for low-mileage (and especially short trip) drivers.

On the other hand, with a few exceptions, they're the default option for bigger cars, unless you have "specific requirements".
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 23rd May 2012, 08:59 AM

I spoke with a mechanic last week regarding coding out the DPF and was told not to do it. Excess smoke and soot on the tailpipes don't appeal to me

Nite Blue 3.0L SE Quattro
Old 23rd May 2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
It has cost him £300 to get it sorted and was told that expect to be back in 12 months time - every 12 months
I wonder what they did for £300. Emergency regeneration should not cost more then 1 hours labour and new DPF would be in £1000 range for part alone.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 23rd May 2012, 03:43 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
I wonder what they did for £300. Emergency regeneration should not cost more then 1 hours labour and new DPF would be in £1000 range for part alone.
I think he mentioned a new senor also?

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Triumph Daytona 675 (2017 reg)

===========================

Gone but not forgotten

Ford Focus ST-2 Mk3 (the wifes) (stolen Oct 2023)

1972 T2 Bay Window Camper (Slow)

Audi TT Mk1 225 - now with coil-overs and a 7inch touchscreen infotainment centre

2003 A8 Sport 4.2 (with ACC & LPG) (Feed up with all the issues so passed it on to a forum member)

2000 A8 FL QS 4.2 (with RNS-E - Nice) (Engine poorly so sold on to be brought back by someone who has the time)