A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Everything else

D2 - Everything else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 1st May 2020, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
we need a picture of the car inside with the dash removed.
2nd pic in the previous post Is it not showing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Sounds like you'll be keeping your eyes open now for any cars with full leather dash that get scrapped.
It wouldn't matter how hard a dash swap is if I found a leather one I will keep this one in case I feel like getting a quote to get it re-trimmed
Old 2nd May 2020, 09:38 AM

Ooops, sorry, missed that dash-out interior pic.....
(My excuse is that sometimes pictures on this forum (only!) don't open in my browser until I go back to them a 2nd or 3rd time, so easy to miss one, odd.... )
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
It wouldn't matter how hard a dash swap is if I found a leather one
But now you know how easy (relatively, for you) it is to get out....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ratty.jpg
Views:	590
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	23229  
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 2nd May 2020 at 09:44 AM.
Old 2nd May 2020, 05:32 PM

And the award for the biggest understatement of the year goes to MJ:

"Took a few more bits out to tidy some other things up"
Old 3rd May 2020, 12:33 PM

Erm... in the end I took everything out to clean it all up

Here are a few more pics with the dashboard out:

In this one you can see the recirculation air inlet between the top of the HVAC box and the sound deadening. This is what the blower is switched to when you select recirc so it pulls air back in from under the dash.

You can see the servo motors for the HVAC here. The dash has to come out to get to these top ones which control airflow to the side vents. Also visible is where someone has hacked off the sound deadening to get to the inside cover for the ECU box, and also a nice rusty stain on the engine bay wiring at the bottom of that cover. This car had serious issues with water ingress due to a total lack of care

Yeah... The other side was glued on with silicone sealant.

Top of the HVAC ready for fresh foam strip

I cleaned up the alcantara headlining while I was there. Considering this car had been smoked in, it cleaned up pretty well

The upper B pillars have to come out anyway to swap the seat belts so they will be cleaned on the bench. They are properly minging so need extra care anyway.

This was white when I started 🤢

Minging...

One everything apart from the roof lining was on the 'kill it with fire' pile I vacuumed thoroughly and then set the Aromatek running for a couple of hours to fumigate the remaining alcantara and sound deadening, then left the dehumidifier running overnight.

I still think this is doable in a weekend between two people, assuming the donor interior is prepared in advance and the recipient vehicle is actually in a decent state beforehand, but I'm taking my time and cleaning / repairing as I go along because I'm not in a rush.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	225.jpg
Views:	589
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	23232   Click image for larger version

Name:	226.jpg
Views:	598
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	23233   Click image for larger version

Name:	227.jpg
Views:	555
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	23234   Click image for larger version

Name:	228.jpg
Views:	825
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	23235   Click image for larger version

Name:	229.jpg
Views:	606
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	23236   Click image for larger version

Name:	230.jpg
Views:	597
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	23237   Click image for larger version

Name:	231.jpg
Views:	606
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	23238   Click image for larger version

Name:	232.jpg
Views:	598
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	23239   Click image for larger version

Name:	233.jpg
Views:	585
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	23240   Click image for larger version

Name:	234.jpg
Views:	594
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	23241  

Name:	235.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	23242   Click image for larger version

Name:	236.jpg
Views:	570
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	23243  
Old 3rd May 2020, 02:05 PM
Banned

Do you use a normal house hold dehumidifier? I'll be doing something similar to mine.
Old 3rd May 2020, 02:34 PM

Yes, one with a compressor rather than the peltier type.

To dry them properly the carpet really needs to be at least lifted. The foam underneath can hold a considerable amount of water but the carpet can still feel dry on top.

The dehumidifier only removed a teacup of water overnight so I'm satisfied its dry inside now, plus the Aromatek has left it smelling mostly neutral with a slight fruity hint, which is rather pleasant Once I put all the conditioned leather back in it should smell like a D2 ought to at last

This is hands down the worst condition D2 I've come across, from bodging and lack of care. If it weren't purple it would have been takeaway tins by now.

Last edited by MikkiJayne; 3rd May 2020 at 02:54 PM.
Old 3rd May 2020, 04:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikkijayne View Post
if it weren't purple it would have been takeaway tins by now.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Old 3rd May 2020, 04:52 PM

Oh wow nice work on starting the interior swap (are you doing a complete black interior swap?) and cleaning her up. How many HVAC servo motors do these cars have?

Last edited by Audifan; 3rd May 2020 at 05:01 PM.
Old 3rd May 2020, 06:47 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Jeez, MJ, some of this keeps me awake at night! Is there anything that fazes you? You need to get on Mastermind!
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 3rd May 2020, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audifan View Post
Oh wow nice work on starting the interior swap (are you doing a complete black interior swap?) and cleaning her up. How many HVAC servo motors do these cars have?
All of them Funny you mention the servo motors. It occurred to me just as I was checking everything was ready to put the new dash in that now would probably be a good time to check all the servos are working. I'm glad I did! Two were seized solid (full of rust), one just clicks, and one is completely dead

I've changed all of those, the centre vent potentiometer, and run through output tests and everything is now working, although the unit still won't perform a basic settings. I was going to take a video of it doing the basic settings, but I ran out of tinkering time tonight so I will have another look at it tomorrow.

I can tell you, I would have been properly grumpy if I'd put the dash back in and found half the HVAC did't work!

Its a complete lower half black swap, keeping the platinum alcantara uppers. It'll actually end up more like an A8 interior in terms of colour combo, but still a nice place to be. If I get bored of the platinum alcantara I can swap to black fabric.