A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 22nd September 2014, 07:38 PM

i bought TRW brand from mister-auto and some TRW bits off ebay cheaper by searching for the trw part number on ebay. MY ORIGINAL FACTORY ARMS were TRW and the uppers lasted 155,000 miles and the lowers 190,000. The new TRW ones had the vw/audi logo ground off so are probably OE. Forget ECP, their prices are higher than the dealers these days!

Last edited by snapdragon; 22nd September 2014 at 07:42 PM.
Old 13th January 2015, 06:54 AM

I had the upper control arms done yesterday on a 2009 s8 at 125k miles. Maybe they would have been ok for a while longer... Also had TRW parts fitted.
Old 12th February 2015, 06:07 AM

One of my RH upper arms has developed a knocking sound when braking for the first time after changing from D to R or the other way around. Mine has 139K on it now, and from what I can tell the arms are original.

Driving along, no knocking or clonks its just the once as I said.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 5th March 2015, 09:24 PM

My car now has 112,000 miles on it, and had its upper control arms replaced at 94k miles.

I have been told that all the lower control arms and the upper ones as well as tie rod ends require replacing. I got a second opinion, and they said the bushes were old but fine and there is no play in the suspension.

All the front air struts and compressor were changed at 108k miles.

Lots of posts have info about the upper control arms need changing, but not the lower ones. Is this common? I found a kit for around $650 AUD with all the arms and tie rod ends for the D3 and it seemed ok. But I do not know if I am being led up the path so to speak..

Mike

04 A8 - 4.2 Sport

Indigo Leather Sports Seats - Sports wheel - Sports Air Suspension
Auto Boot - Double Glazing - AMI - Solar roof
TV - Bose - Voice Control - TPMS - AFS- TINT
Power Blind, Fingerprint - Light package (in and out)

Retrofits:
OEM Auto headlights & rain sensing wipers
OEM Bluetooth phone
Bluetooth Audio Streaming
Reverse Camera
OEM Aluminium Package
Auto boot close using remote/door button
Old 5th March 2015, 10:15 PM

I read somewhere that lower arms are revised/beefed up items specifically for the A8 but they use the same top arms as most the other models like the A4 so thier a bit of an achillies heel in the suspension area on our cars.
Old 5th March 2015, 11:09 PM

Ive just replaced both sets of upper arms on one of our D3's but the bottom ones were fine at 110,000 miles

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 6th March 2015, 06:03 AM

From what I can tell my front suspension is original, air shocks, and all arms have covered 138K miles. I've got a slight knock developing from one of the drivers side upper arms when you brake after changing direction of travel but perfectly fine when driving over normal or rough roads.

I had the compressor rebuilt using the bagpipingandy kit nearly 10K miles ago, and everything is running perfectly except the knock.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 7th March 2015, 06:23 AM

I picked up 4 lemforder arms yesterday.
all for the top.

Fitting this evening I hope.
I'll check out the lowers.
I suspect they will need doing but they can wait.
brakes first.
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 7th March 2015, 09:22 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Coincidentally, I finally got around to ordering this lot (see attached quote) yesterday, from All German Parts, after brasiliangringo's recommendation (thanks again brasiliangringo) here: http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7668&page=3

Jason was very helpful and compiled a kit of suspension parts for me (including ARB links and tie rod ends), comprising of a mixture of TRW Lemforder and Meyle. There were cheaper parts available, but I had asked him to focus on quality.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf QQUO003439-2.pdf (81.6 KB, 252 views)
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 7th March 2015, 11:25 AM

On my d2 I bought most from all German. The rear lower was made by trw and you cld see they had ground off most of the Audi pn ie they are the manufacturer.

What makes you think they need replacing ? What wear cld you detect ?