A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 18th March 2016, 03:56 PM

Default Power steering hose failure on S8

Well after reading about other cars of a similar vintage blowing power steering hoses I returned home to the same problem on mine.

I have heard numerous people having the hose cut and joined and the OCD wasn't going to allow that if at all possible so started the investigation this morning and after pulling the liners from the wheel arch and the sump guard I found the culprit to be the return hose from the rack to the cooler.

On the S8 life is made easier if you remove the air box, wheel arch liners, cover that goes around the steering gaiter and also the fog light grill.

The hose thats at the front is the hose that returns oil from the rack to the cooler, cutting off the stainless clamp is the only way forward so I bought 3 of them, two to replce and one extra for any mistakes

With the hose disconnected at the front from the stub and pulled back the damage was easily seen when the braided cover was slid back.

Other end of the hose is under the rack and access is tight but by no means impossible once the covers and wheel arch liner is removed.

With the sound pipe (large black tube) pulled off and moved aside and the smaller tubing moved too the hose can be detached like below

The hose removed and awaiting for replacement coming tomorrow hopefully.

New hose fed through with cap still on to prevent ingress of dirt, once through remove the cap and fit onto pipe, I found that controlling the hose from the other side while lining it up with the pipe worked best, fiddly but not bad.
Leave nut loose till the hose is fully routed to prevent torsion being applied down the hose.

Using the old hose I removed the other hose behind the forward one that goes from cooler to tank and capped it, then fitted the old hose in its place so I could flush the old oil out, use a temporary clips to retain the hoses if you want to do the same.

I bought 3 litres of steering fluid and flushed it through, old stuff was dirty red colour.

When flushing or bleeding its important to not let the reservoir go empty and Audi instructions are to start and shut down immediately until you have purged air from the system.

Using a helper As soon as the engine fires stop it! As that was enough to nearly empty the small reservoir so it is important to be quick to shut down upon starting.

It took 1.5 litres to get clean oil out of the hose in a bucket, I then reconnected the hoses properly using the proper clamps, filled and started for about 5 seconds checked the level again, topped up and ran engine continuously quick check for leaks, all good, then proceeded to slowly go from lock to lock about ten times.

I then sucked the reservoir empty, filled and did the same again twice so in the end i used all three litres of oil and its nice and clean in the reservoir now.

Once satisfied with the oil level, and checked over again for no leaks put the car back together, tested and cleared all the errors from running with no MAF.

Jobs a good un

Items 1,2 & 4 were all that were needed the others depends on what you lose or break

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	culprit.JPG
Views:	3091
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	12764   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3715.JPG
Views:	3838
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	12784   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3714.JPG
Views:	3306
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	12785   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3713.JPG
Views:	3221
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	12786   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3712.JPG
Views:	3302
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	12787   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3711.JPG
Views:	3305
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	12788   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3710.JPG
Views:	3272
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	12789   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3696.JPG
Views:	3756
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	12790   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3698.JPG
Views:	3878
Size:	173.8 KB
ID:	12791   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.JPG
Views:	480
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	12793  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3716.JPG
Views:	3510
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	12794   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.JPG
Views:	3277
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	12795   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.JPG
Views:	3456
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	12796   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3690.JPG
Views:	3312
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	12797   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3703.JPG
Views:	3178
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	12798   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3701.JPG
Views:	3507
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	12799   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3702.JPG
Views:	3376
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	12800   Click image for larger version

Name:	quote.JPG
Views:	3122
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	12801  

Last edited by Delboy; 19th February 2018 at 07:46 PM.
Old 18th March 2016, 04:21 PM

Borys had his go soon after buying and our local indy sorted it with oem hoses and no bodgery or engine moving. Probably helps having it on a wheels free lift so you can access everything easily!

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 18th March 2016, 10:07 PM

Yep 60£ a hose.....easy fix and huge relief after hearing horror stories about engine out jobs
Old 19th March 2016, 07:22 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Nice work!

I'm hoping my leak turns out to be something similar. I'm presently carrying a couple of bottles of fluid around with me and checking the level daily while I wait for the garage to fit me in.

I'd tackle the job myself but I don't have the time or another vehicle to use ... or the right tools ... or a garage to do it in ... or (and probably more to the point) the inclination or enthusiasm to do it!
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 19th March 2016, 07:37 AM

Lucky you
On a v10 not really convenience to fill up fluid he he
Its hidden under air filter box, has to be removed to fill it up - crazy
Old 19th March 2016, 07:38 AM

Great write up as always Del

I went for the easy fix as I needed the car back but it's great to know it can be done with the right access and tools, and without taking the lump out.

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 19th March 2016, 07:58 AM

Nice repair work Del. Any ideas why it failed, poor design? Was the pipe being pinched? Let me know if you need anything from TPS.

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,
Old 19th March 2016, 08:34 AM

The hose is just perished, it wasn't getting chafed or exposed to the elements anymore than other stuff in engine bay.

Only thing I can think that helped it on the way is that section is not shielded from the exhaust heat??

I shall offer it up again to work out if that is indeed the case.

Thanks for the offer Matt, it should all be arriving here at lowestoft Audi this morning fingers crossed.

Old 19th March 2016, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
The hose is just perished, it wasn't getting chafed or exposed to the elements anymore than other stuff in engine bay.

Only thing I can think that helped it on the way is that section is not shielded from the exhaust heat??
Mine went just behind the foglight grille Del, so I don't think failure is consistent with exposure to heat, maybe just limited life of the hose used?

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 19th March 2016, 07:17 PM

Yes Ron on further inspection mine was just the other side of the rad near the foglight and it shouldn't really be heat stressed there

Anyways its all back together now and better than ever with a new hose and a flush through with some of the green stuff, and a pile of new clips to replace the ones I lost the pins for

I have edited the original post to add more detail to the job.