A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > IT, AV and other Tech

IT, AV and other Tech All computing, home cinema and technology that isnt car related

Old 7th July 2018, 01:14 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
Could be a good time to buy some Xilinx shares or CFDs ( assuming they are publically traded) as they seem to be at the front of FPGAs and if the demand for they chips/boards goes up so should the share prices.
Not a bad idea.They seem to be available to buy:
https://www.marke****ch.com/investing/stock/xlnx

edit:

haha looks like the word sensor removed the t.w.a.t in market.w.a.t.ch!

Alternative link: https://on.mktw.net/2KHdDEs

Also noticed Market Watch have a link to a recent article about Xilinx:
https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/...utm_source=djc
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust

Last edited by moltuae; 7th July 2018 at 01:19 PM.
Old 13th July 2018, 09:05 PM

Default ETHlargement Pill

I did come across this a while ago but have not tested it until today.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3370685.0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLTR...ature=youtu.be

I will skip the details but it does seem to work. My 1080 Ti's have gone from 31-34MH/s to 41-48MH/s on Hashimoto, a bit short from others reporting going from 37 to 55 but could be down to particular manufacturer or settings. Also seems to help a bit with Equihash 2-3% and should help with various versions of CryptoNote but that's not really efficient with nVidia cards anyway so I have not tried. But with Equihash returns going down with several ASICs coming online it looks like I will switch to ETH on Tis for now. I did try Equihash 144,5 for a while and BTG an while i like some of their ideas I am not 100% convinced.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure

Last edited by ainarssems; 13th July 2018 at 09:11 PM.
Old 13th July 2018, 09:09 PM

Default Antminer B3

Quite disappointing about B3 with the GPU miners and BTM price going down. B3 @ 1kH/s and 450W, it does about £27/ month now with £32 electricity costs. 1080 Ti now with new miners does 1.4kH/s with half the power of B3, still more profiitable to mine ETH or Zcash on 1080Ti though. I still keep B 3 running as it does not cost that much in electricity.

8 history:
Old 13th July 2018, 09:22 PM

Default Antimer A3

Switched off A3 for now as it costs about £113 to run and only earns about half of that per month and as I cannot subsidise all miners from my own money this got switched off first as least profitable. I still believe in Sia concept, but development has been slow and at the current form it is pain to use. Yes, i have tried to use the service myself and it's pain in the ass and while on paper it looks very cheap for cloud storage it's not that cheap in reality and cumbersome to use. So if they can get their act together it might do well in future but in the current slow state somebody else could overtake and eliminate them.

8 history:
Old 13th July 2018, 09:37 PM

Default LTC + TPay

In recent news LTC and TPay have joined forces, TPay transferred 9.9% stake of WEG bank and bought another 9.9% of WEG bank and looking to buy the rest as any stake above 9.9% needs regulatory approval. Looks like great opportunities for both LTC and TPay bringing crypto/blockchain together with traditional banking. I never heard of TPay before but now might just buy some TPay with some of my other coins.

I have been a long supporter of LTC and you can tell because I only have 1x S9 but 6x L3+. ATM S9 is earning just about or less than it costs to run it but L3+ consistently earns 20-25% more than it costs to run. It's not ideal as I would like to see 250% but still better than S9.

8 history:
Old 13th July 2018, 10:25 PM

Default Antrouter R1-LTC

So I bought Antminer R1-LTC a while ago, well jus before they dropped price from $40 to $30. They have sent me $10 coupon that can be used for PSU or another Antrouter as compensation but shipping costs for {PSU are high due to weight so it is cheaper just to buy one already in UK from people who import them by pallet load and I am not sure I need another Antrouter.

Anyway it 'smore like buying lottery ticket as it does solo mining on Antpool, if you find a block you get full reward, otherwise you do not get anything.

I am running one of my Antminers at the location where there is no Ethernet and I was using Netgear WiFi extender with Ethernet port to connect Antminer to WiFi network so it made sense to use Antrouter to do the same job but also mine the block lottery at the same time. I still need to run some mats but I think the odds are better than lottery.

My initial research showed that Antrouer uses 4.5W/hour but I could not find definitive answer for my current Netgear extender, specoifications just said 110-240V & 0.1A which would mean 11-24W which seamed like a lot. Online search showed that for other people it uses 5-8W. Now that I have got both my old Netgear and antrouter I can confirm that Neatgear uses 2.1W and Antrouter uses 5-5.1W.

So to compare it to the chances of winning Euromillionns at my current electricity rate it will cost me about £2.63/year more to run it than Netgear extender or just slightly more than 1 Euromillions ticket. My average chance to get the block is a bit under once in 800 years with a cost about £2k and return of £1500 at current rates and difficulty or a return of 75%, EM chance in winning jackpot is in average is to spend 291m to win 49m. This is just for jackpot and not counting smaller prizes you will win along the way but still compelling case for having Antrouter.

The biggest problem with Antrouer was that out of the box it you cannot use to connect wired device to wireless newtork. It's only meant to be used as Ethernet to Wireless router otr acces point so getting it to work the other way round id a bit fidly but possible. Yo need to install relay package to it and then SSH into it and enable the installed package along with some configuration on the web interface. I can confirm that it is indeed possible and it does work. But the mining LED does not light up after changes like it should even when pool reports that you are mining.

8 history:
Old 14th July 2018, 10:56 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Thanks for the updates Ainars

Work has been hectic for me lately so I've had little time to keep up with crypto developments. And most of my miners have been switched off recently due to the warm weather. I'm presently down to an S9 (running at my customer's premises), my B3 and one or two GPUs. Once the weather starts to cool, I'll turn them back on in order of profitability, including the miners that aren't profitable eventually (if needed). A heater that makes some money is better than a heater that makes none.

Quote:
ETHlargement Pill
haha Sounds interesting. I might have to try that when I get my GPU rigs back online. I'll study the info when I have more time ... but I wonder how they've achieved such an increase in performance.

Quote:
Quite disappointing about B3 with the GPU miners and BTM price going down. B3 @ 1kH/s and 450W, it does about £27/ month now with £32 electricity costs. 1080 Ti now with new miners does 1.4kH/s with half the power of B3, still more profiitable to mine ETH or Zcash on 1080Ti though. I still keep B 3 running as it does not cost that much in electricity.
Same here. My B3 is still running, mainly because it uses little in electricity and doesn't produce much heat or noise (since I changed the fans). It is a disappointment though. I was hoping that profitability may have remained high for a little longer than it did. However, since the B3 is a little different to the usual ASIC-based miners, in that it uses AI processors, I wonder if it can be reprogrammed to run other algos.

Quote:
Switched off A3 for now as it costs about £113 to run and only earns about half of that per month and as I cannot subsidise all miners from my own money this got switched off first as least profitable. I still believe in Sia concept, but development has been slow and at the current form it is pain to use. Yes, i have tried to use the service myself and it's pain in the ass and while on paper it looks very cheap for cloud storage it's not that cheap in reality and cumbersome to use. So if they can get their act together it might do well in future but in the current slow state somebody else could overtake and eliminate them.
I agree with Sia. I played around with their software too a while ago. It's a great concept (and application of blockchain technology) but they have a lot of development to do before it's ready for mainstream use.

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 14th July 2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
haha Sounds interesting. I might have to try that when I get my GPU rigs back online. I'll study the info when I have more time ... but I wonder how they've achieved such an increase in performance.
I understand it's the same thing you do with BIOS mods for AMD cards just done with software - modify VRAM timings. Some of my AMD cards have seen similar increase going from 22MH/s to 30+MH/s. The free public version is only for cards with GDDR5x VRAM so 1080, 1080Ti an Titan XP. They have paid solutions for other nVidia cards but only sell to large mining farms. They are apparently also on their own miners with integrated pill which will mine devfee like most of other miners and also working on solution for HBM2 VRAM ( Vega cards). I guess they released this version as PR or proof of their ability as these cards in minority of all the cards mining.

Quote:
However, since the B3 is a little different to the usual ASIC-based miners, in that it uses AI processors, I wonder if it can be reprogrammed to run other algos
Quite possibly but it is quite limited of what it could run in the B3 configuration as there is no RAM connected to Sophon chips so you are limited to 32MB onboard memory and this is divided in 512kb chunks one for each of 64 NPU so you probably can only use it for whatever algorithm can fit in 512kb of memory . The chips do have 4 channels of 64+8 bit DDR3/DDR4 RAM interface and supports up to 16GB of RAM per chip ( 12 chips in B3) it's just that there is no RAM on B3 hashing boards.

8 history:

Last edited by ainarssems; 14th July 2018 at 12:14 PM.
Old 14th July 2018, 09:40 PM

A bit more testing with ETHlargement Pill: had to lower memory overclock a bit to keep it stable from ~ +550 to +500, it makes sense with tighter timings and is similar to AMD BIOS mods. For example RX 480/580 card would be 22MH/s stock @2000 memspeed, 24 overclocked @2200, with BIOS mod some cards not stable @2200 but hashing 30+MH/s @ 2100-2150.

Also tried different miner and with miner.finom.io it's pushing 100MH/s + with 2x 1080Tis.

1% devfee which is not much but I would prefer a miner without devfee, not that I do not want to reward developers for their work , it's just that with me mostly renting out my rigs on MRR and my past experience with AMD cards if the renter mines anything other than ETH rig need to generate new DAG file when it switches to mining devfee so it takes extra time and sometimes causes a crash. If the renter is mining ETH as well then it is not an issue as miner keeps the same DAG file, just switches pool and user/address ( it's already logged in all of my and devfee pools) just changes where it submits shares.

Released mine for renting recently on MRR after I was sure it's working well and stable enough and got rented almost instantly. And could not have been soon enough as Equihash prices have dropped a lot in last couple of days to BTC 0.00034130/day for my rig, with the pill mining ETH directly it would be around BTC 0.00051/day, on MRR I priced it cheaply to rent out quickly and got BTC 0.000584, a big improvement, not quite as much as I would get on Equihash 144,5 - BTG (0.00064889) but I had trouble with it crashing too often on on 144,5 even without overclock.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	558
Size:	235.8 KB
ID:	19716  

8 history:

Last edited by ainarssems; 14th July 2018 at 09:56 PM.
Old 20th July 2018, 10:47 PM

Wink Am I becoming a minerholic?

Another week passed and another 2 Antminers on the way even if I have no place to put them for now. Basically Bitmain dropped 13.5T S9i from the shop and listed 14T @ very tempting price I think on Monday at the same time dropping price for L3+ and L3++. I was very tempted to buy some but resisted for whole 2 days . While I did not use many of my $100 coupons that expired @ the end of June I still had 3 valid till end of July (2 used now, one more left). On Wednesday BTC and other coin prices went up and I did not know if the price rise will last in short term basis so I decided to spend some of coins on new miners. So S9i+PSU for BTC 0.09731716 and L3++ for LTC 4.00683656 (Just to compare a year ago L3+ was 40 LTC) are on the way, arriving on next Tuesday. I was not sure if I should go for L3+ or L3++ as in stock form L3++ is faster but less energy efficient and most (4 out of 6) of my L3+ overclock very nicely and all of them above what stock L3++ does and L3+ is considerably cheaper but just for the sake of trying something else and possibly better resale value I went for L3++. Will check it out see how it does with overclocking and possibly with Blissz's firmware, I suspect L3++ should have higher binned chips so with some tweaks might do better than L3+.

Wife and kids are on holiday for next 2 weeks so I have some time to mess around in house, the plan is to put in new thicker cable to the loft for miners and also upgrade consumer unit and meter tails after I had my supply upgraded from 15kW to 25kW and arrange ventilation ducts on the loft. Not sure if I will keep all the miners, the idea is if the coin prices go up the miner prices will go up as well so I am thinking I will return some of less performing miners to stock firmware/settings and sell on e-bay (remember last December?- S7 went over £1000 on ebay)

Bitmain has also released new Antrouter R3-LTC , bigger in size, a bit faster WiFi and 6 mining chips instead of 1 and working at higher frequency, obviously consuming more electricity. Looks like it has a cooling fan as well as it has sound level listed @40dB. Still not enough mining power for pool mining and not sure if it makes sense for lottery type solo mining. Might be OK if you needed wireless router anyway but looks pretty basic with 3000Mbps. I would probably be more interested in another of older R1-LTC and modifying software on it again if I needed another one for connecting miner to WiFi network.

On the GPU front finminer is working fine and consuming less power for direct ETH mining but had some weird behaviour using it on MRR so switched to Claymore even if it is 2% devfee as MRR does not support SSL and uses a bit more power but at least it seems to work no matter what renter mines, still pushing 100-102 MH/s on 2x 1080 Ti cards with the pill.

8 history: