A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 20th February 2009, 11:02 AM

Default What is it about...

...The sight of a two ton, black, banger at 45 degrees to its direction of travel that bothers people so much? I was only doing ten miles an hour and just forgot that the bit of concrete in the junction box didn't have any grip. It may be that the roll up hanging from the corner of my grinning visage as I wound on opposite lock with the palm of my hand did not encourage confidence in onlookers but did that really justify a wail of terror from a grown man? Sheesh, what a complete girl.

Seriously though, the lack of grip from cold on moist concrete is beginning to aggravate me. I wasn't bloody hoofing it so I resent the necassarily urgent twiddling at the wheel that early in the morning. Must be more delicate in future in the first twenty yards from my house... Considering a post it on the wheel saying "It's a V8 dumbass"

Your's, a mildly chastened,

Bill

"Being in touch with your feminine side" - The ability to, in the 30 seconds following a major accident, obtain your wifes approval for replacing your big german car with another "because otherwise we'd be dead".

See also sulking for two years until she finally allows you to get another purely on the basis of your current one being the wrong colour.
Old 20th February 2009, 11:15 AM

What tyres are you running?
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 20th February 2009, 11:48 AM

225/55/17 G'year eagle gsd3s. They feel like the Pirelli diablos that came on my GSXR 750, great when warm but no use in the cold and considering I ride all year round they went in the bin. They are alright after a couple of miles it's just odd having to treat my car like a bike. I am as prone to being a cretin as the next oik it would seem.

"Being in touch with your feminine side" - The ability to, in the 30 seconds following a major accident, obtain your wifes approval for replacing your big german car with another "because otherwise we'd be dead".

See also sulking for two years until she finally allows you to get another purely on the basis of your current one being the wrong colour.
Old 20th February 2009, 12:00 PM

I get the same thing on the junction next to my house in the cold (though it's tarmac).

If you're not awake already at that point.. You soon are
Old 20th February 2009, 12:55 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

While 17" wheels are good for the winter and 225 tyres are cool in snow. If your on the black stuff most of the year you want to be thinking along the lines of 245/50/17 or slapping some 19" wheels on and getting some 245/40/19s on

I happen to know where there are a bling set of 20s going for a song!

No tyres though.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 20th February 2009, 01:04 PM

I was thinking along those lines along with replacing the front disks and getting sport boingy bits from Ian this year. Then I opened my wifes credit card statement.