A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior

D2 - Interior Seats, dashboards, plastics, ventilation everything inside the cabin

Old 19th September 2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
I saw a post on Pistonheads yesterday of someone using a mini machine polisher in a drill with some car polish/cutting compound to remove the minor imperfections on some interior wood trim, which might work on mine.
Remember this is not wood, that could be disastrous!
IIRC when I fitted my Vavona door switch panels they looked like a painted thin metal sheet folded over the plastic moulding.

I just touched up scratches with lacquer and re-painted the dark door switch holes with matt black paint (not very well ).

Another minor point to note is to be careful of the lugs when removing the lower sections, which you do first. This is to avoid cracks or breaks.
IIRC the rear door has 2 main lugs that catch on the door panel, on the front and rear "upright" edges (plus lugs that intersect with the upper section near the screw fixings). And there's a set of smaller lugs on the top edge that pop open easily.
So to remove those you prise out gently along the bottom and up the sides until it release those 3 sides, then pop out the top lugs and wiggle it out horizontally to disconnect from the upper section.
Note that the bottom edge has no lugs at all, it's just an easy place to get a tool in and work it round to the lugs on the sides.

The front lower sections are similar but a bit trickier. One of the "upright" lugs is larger than the other, so the smaller one needs popping out first. If you buy new ones you'll hopefully see which way round it is first.

Once the lower sections are out and the 2 screws then exposed are removed the upper sections wiggle out fairly easily.
They are retained with big lugs on the cabin side and smaller metal clips on the outer edge. The easiest way to get them out is to lift and release the outer edge first, just by pushing up from below using the handgrip. Once tilted inwards they pretty much lift straight out.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 19th September 2013, 09:51 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Remember this is not wood, that could be disastrous!
IIRC when I fitted my Vavona door switch panels they looked like a painted thin metal sheet folded over the plastic moulding.
That's just what they are.
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 19th September 2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
Hiya

I'd found some Myrtle trims with platinum lowers and was considering a colour change - as the finish won't be as robust as the factory.

Most of the trims are still available new via TPS - they priced up at £73.79+VAT before any discount - so if you've got one that's beyond saving that's always an option if the rest are good?
Confused

Do you have surplus myrtle/platinum trims?

And exactly what is available for £73.99 - complete upper trims with myrtle over platinum?
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 19th September 2013, 10:10 AM

Adrian currently has painted (purple) plastic trim for the door switch panels that he is changing to Myrtle, so no spares presumably.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 19th September 2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Laird View Post
Confused

Do you have surplus myrtle/platinum trims?

And exactly what is available for £73.99 - complete upper trims with myrtle over platinum?
No, I was offered a set of Mrytle/platinum for £50 but the platinum bits weren't great, plus wouldn't match. After speaking to an interior trim repairer I decided not to bother.

£73.79+vat buys you any one wood trim from TPS

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 19th September 2013, 12:04 PM

Can you get a discount at TPS? I might bite the bullet and go for all 4 if I can get myrtle on platinum
Old 19th September 2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Laird View Post
Can you get a discount at TPS? I might bite the bullet and go for all 4 if I can get myrtle on platinum
Be VERY careful in assuming you need platinum. If yours is similar to mine as in WF interior trim code for platinum, you may want Swing finish (which is what I pictured in my new trims and matches the top of the door trim as the cars have a mix of platinum and swing finish)

If you really do need platinum I can supply all the part numbers you need

The Mertyle/Swing options are sold out of drivers door ones

With lower bits as well it's about £400.....

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 19th September 2013, 02:29 PM

I actually need 'silver grey' but as that's a special colour, I think platinum is nearest. So Myrtle/Platinum would be the nearest as platinum is lighter than swing I think
Old 19th September 2013, 03:16 PM

It is - platinum in the pics I've posted is the colour of the surround for the door pull handle and the memory seat surround

From what I can work out the full range of PR codes for interior wood trims are:

PR code - name of wood finish - name of door switch surround wood finish - lower trim colour options

5MG - burr walnut - nut brown switch trims with either soul/blues/swing/jazz/platinum/aqua/tango/twist

5ME - Vavona amber high gloss - Bernstein with blues/jazz/aqua/tango/twist OR amber wood with platinum

5MW - Dark Myrtle - myrtle with soul/swing/jazz/tango

5MX - light birds eye maple - birds eye maple with platinum/soul/blues/swing/aqua/twist

Looking again at the pics I was sent of the £50 set which appeared to be platinum, I suspect they were actually birds eye maple finish as I can see code EZD written in 1 picture, which corresponds to that option.

Having typed all that hopefully when you look at the attached Etka print outs, which were too confusing for the TPS bloke I spoke to to deal with, it makes it easier to follow!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf front door trim colour options.pdf (46.4 KB, 368 views)
File Type: pdf handle shell lower part front.pdf (65.3 KB, 338 views)
File Type: pdf rear door wood trim options.pdf (30.4 KB, 387 views)
File Type: pdf handle shell lower part rear.pdf (74.8 KB, 302 views)

Old 19th September 2013, 03:18 PM

Just for info these are the pics of the set I was offered for 50 quid - you can see why it's a struggle to figure out what they are!