A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Body and Exterior

D2 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 25th September 2012, 01:18 AM

Default D2 A8 - how to rebadge

Morning all,

I've recently acquired the 'A8' and '4.2' badge for my A8 in the post off the orginal seller, Bushido.

I was wondering how best to go about fitting these on a car, as I've never reattached a badge before. What material should I use to attach them? I've had doubled side sticking tape recommended, but the lettering of the badges is quite think and would obviously 'show' if I just taped it to the back of the badges!

Also, is there a means of working out positioning, or is a visual estimate taken from looking at badged A8's coupled with a small spirit level usually enough to provide a satisfactory result?

I also plan to move the Quattro badge back to it's original place, how will I remove this? A hair dryer to loosen it off and then re-attach it by the same means as the other badges?

Chris
Old 25th September 2012, 07:46 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

I've no idea how to attach the badges, but I have had some success in removing them (I had a 2.8 that had been badged up as an S8 years ago!). You can buy a good adhesive cleaner/solvent made by 3M that works a treat and doesn't mark the paintwork. I'll have a look whan I get home for the brand. Spray liberally with this and carefully insert some fishing line or dental floss behind the badge and work it through the adhesive, keeping the area soaked with plenty of the cleaner/solvent. Patience is required here! Once the badge is off, use more solvent to remove the final traces of the glue and then put some polish/wax on the area of paint that you've had the solvent on. Do it on a warm day or use a hairdryer to warm it up a little, but don't over-do it.
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 25th September 2012, 07:48 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Here's the 3M cleaner:
http://www.3mselect.co.uk/p-1019-3m-...ray-500ml.aspx
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 25th September 2012, 07:52 AM

It's almost impossible to re-attach the badges. The sticky pads used us not available as a separate item and impossible to buy, also getting the spacing right is a pain in the neck.

Nite Blue 3.0L SE Quattro
Old 25th September 2012, 07:52 AM

When I put the "correct" boot lid badge back on mine (original design, a bodyshop had lost it and put the later type on ) I used double-sided tape.

Can't recall exactly what type, but it was for car badge/trim/numberplate use. There are different thicknesses, but you do need a certain minimum thickness anyway to ensure a good fit (curved bodywork, flat badge) and mine was probably at least 2mm or 3mm thick - you really don't notice once it's on.

Inspect the back of the badge carefully too, there may be slight recesses for the tape.

And yes I used dental floss on the old one.

As for positioning I consulted loads of photos, brochures etc. etc. and took very careful measurements of blown-up photos.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 25th September 2012, 07:55 AM

Something like 3M tape for sticking the badges on mate, and meths or petrol or the unsticking just don't leave it on the paint for too long.

I'm not aware of any dimensions for them but could well be some that one of the Etka hero's might be able to find.

I don't have those badges on mine just the rings and the quattro one but when i first got it it had a boot lip spoiler. When i took it off i left 2 marks in the paint the full width where the tape had been, i did poilsh out in the end but in some lights can still be seen. Just wondering if you can see where they used to be

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 25th September 2012, 08:11 AM

Yes, I found that when I took the "wrong" (larger) boot lid badge off there was a very faint mark that wouldn't go away. That badge had been applied straight after a respray so I'm guessing the lacquer dried differently.

The correct badge is in almost the same place, though smaller, so you don't notice.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 29th September 2012, 08:00 PM

I've spent a good few days gazing out of my front room window at the back of my A8. It looks great as it is, and if I can't get the badges on it I'll still be pleased with it. If I can, that would be great as I love 'factory standard' stuff!
Old 3rd October 2012, 01:51 PM

IMO it looks best debadged... but the rings still needs to be there. As for badge "tuning" then thats a big no no... putting an S8 badge on anything else than an S8 is blasfamy in my book

Audi A8 4.2 quattro D2 94' - THE CARRIAGE
Audi A4 1.6 B5 95' - THE LADY IN RED
Opel Kadett 1,2 C 77' - THE CASKET